Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

Got Brighton Marathon in April, and a couple of half's leading up to it, one at the Olympic Park next week and one as yet unbooked along the canals from Uxbridge > Watford.

Definitely liking the sound of the TAB stuff but likely will wait til after Glasto to sign up to any more big ones.

Also now obsessing about Marathon Des Sables but I might die if I try that

I got this book for Christmas, so many runs to obsess over!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Runs-World-Lonely-Planet/dp/1788681266 

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

My plan to do a half on 7 March has gone up in smoke, as my wife pointed out that she's got a ticket to Supergrass at Ally Pally for the night before and I said I'd go along (poor me).

Ha, I've got a similar problem. Got myself a ticket for Dreadzone when they came out, but the gig's on Brighton on the Saturday night and the Forest of Dean Half starts at 10am on the Sunday, at least 3.5 hour drive away!

Sadly I'm pretty certain I'll be missing the gig :(

I've just signed up to a site called healthy wage which takes bets on if you can lose a certain amount of weight in a certain amount of time, it seems legit and if I lose 2 stone in 6 Months I will win £800 from my £300 bet (£50 a month) . Trying to lose it all before glasto though so I don't need to worry while I'm there cause my 6 months doesn't end till Aug! Drinking shakes and going to the gym as much as possible too. 

28 minutes ago, jaimebionic said:

I've just signed up to a site called healthy wage which takes bets on if you can lose a certain amount of weight in a certain amount of time, it seems legit and if I lose 2 stone in 6 Months I will win £800 from my £300 bet (£50 a month) . Trying to lose it all before glasto though so I don't need to worry while I'm there cause my 6 months doesn't end till Aug! Drinking shakes and going to the gym as much as possible too. 

Very interesting concept.

Out of interest... how do you prove it? 

21 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

Fair play to you man it looks incredibly tough! Its definitely on my bucket list but I reckon I'm going to have to wait a year or two before attempting!

Being prepared is definitely a good idea. To be honest, the prep is half the fun. Now it is tough, but it's like circuit training. Everyone comes out feeling like they've gone through the mill, but it is eminently completeable. Is that a word? Well, you get my gist. It's a magical experience...

18 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

Got Brighton Marathon in April, and a couple of half's leading up to it, one at the Olympic Park next week and one as yet unbooked along the canals from Uxbridge > Watford.

Definitely liking the sound of the TAB stuff but likely will wait til after Glasto to sign up to any more big ones.

Also now obsessing about Marathon Des Sables but I might die if I try that

Good luck with Brighton! If you're looking for a charity to support, the WWF has it as their home race and their support is ace. Did it in 2018. Ace. 

Also, you won't die 😉

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Being prepared is definitely a good idea. To be honest, the prep is half the fun. Now it is tough, but it's like circuit training. Everyone comes out feeling like they've gone through the mill, but it is eminently completeable. Is that a word? Well, you get my gist. It's a magical experience...

watched a couple of videos on it last night, im sold!

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Good luck with Brighton! If you're looking for a charity to support, the WWF has it as their home race and their support is ace. Did it in 2018. Ace. 

Also, you won't die 😉

I've gone for just a normal entry as its my first marathon and I didn't fancy the pressure of fundraising on top of actually trying to complete it but will definitely be looking to complete some charity races next year!

Fairly good news from the pyhsio last night.  Nothing catastrophic gone wrong with the shoulders, but there is a fair amount of wear and tear going on that's previously been either masked or compensated for by having built up the muscles to support it all. Now a lot of that muscle mass has gone since pulling back from the rugby, the imbalances are starting to come through a bit.

But all fixable :) Back in 3 weeks for a follow up, so got a load of work to get through to see how it progresses

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Fairly good news from the pyhsio last night.  Nothing catastrophic gone wrong with the shoulders, but there is a fair amount of wear and tear going on that's previously been either masked or compensated for by having built up the muscles to support it all. Now a lot of that muscle mass has gone since pulling back from the rugby, the imbalances are starting to come through a bit.

But all fixable :) Back in 3 weeks for a follow up, so got a load of work to get through to see how it progresses

What are you doing in the meantime? Cardio?

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

What are you doing in the meantime? Cardio?

Nah, still pressing on with the weights.  Got some additional exercises to add in to the routines to start addressing the imbalances, and need to accept I can't work full ROM on every exercise for now and just work within the boundaries my shoulders are setting for now.  As it all starts improving I should find more movement will come in and I  can gradually increase.

The restricted ROM is going to be the hard part.  Just years of being drilled into doing all exercises properly and never doing half reps is going to make it tricky!

6 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

watched a couple of videos on it last night, im sold!

I've gone for just a normal entry as its my first marathon and I didn't fancy the pressure of fundraising on top of actually trying to complete it but will definitely be looking to complete some charity races next year!

Exciting. Don't take your pack off for the whole of Glasto and keep going to gigs at Strummerville and you're set.

11 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Rode the 20 miles to work and back again today for the First time this year. 

also I’ve managed to take 40 seconds a mile off my running pace in the last 2 weeks from nowhere. I’ve no idea how it’s happened. 

Well done!

I have had a crazy start to the year but I have been just about managing to keep my activity levels up. Apart from a week in Barcelona I've been attending my Pilates classes at least twice a week (3 times this week), still doing a decent amount of walking and 2 Clubbercise classes a week. I can't make 1 Clubbercise this week so I am attempting a Boxercise class tonight. I did try a bums, legs and tums class as well but that is not for me. It was a bit too boot campy. I like my exercise to be on the fun side. I have tenuously started training for my walking marathon. I went out and did a 50 minute pace walk the other night. I do a lot of walking anyway with my dogs so hopefully won't be too bad.