Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Ran that 10k around the Olympic Park area that I signed up for 2.5 weeks ago this morning. Decided I wanted ton go under 55 mins as I was doing it; just got my time online and it was 54.36 (just realised that's quicker than I was doing on a treadmill in training too).

Turns out it's three laps of a course, which I thought was going to be a bit crap, but enjoyed the course in the end. It's flat and there's plenty to look at and canals to run alongside. Not quite as picturesque as the Royal Parks Half marathon, but definitely slots in above the Croydon 1/2! 

A good number of people running too so you're always in a bit of a 'pack'. Recommended if you want to stretch your legs on the cheap (£17).

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 1

My start to the year has been:

Going Vegan

Gym 3/4 times a week

Drinking only 2 evenings a week

A shitload of decorating

10 pounds off in a month and feeling much better for it. Another 10 and I’m down to my target weight. Vegan thing was only supposed to be for January, but have found it incredibly easy and am going to carry it on. Hopefully the end is in sight for the decorating! Cricket nets started today which is an extra fitness boost.

• Upvote 1

Took 30 seconds off my run time yesterday. Felt great when I set off and that carried on throughout the run, it's taken a few weeks to start enjoying my running again but yesterday made all those weeks of forcing myself out for a run worth it.  Although I really did fancy a few ciders when out for Sunday dinner I managed to stay off the booze for another weekend which I'm sure is helping, looks like I'll be going dry through February as well.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

Biting the bullet and calling a physio today. Shoulders are buggered and not getting any better, struggling to even do a pressup at the moment without the right one giving way. Only reason the left doesn't is that the right is going first :(

Oh dear, hope it's okay!

Just now, Homer said:

Oh dear, hope it's okay!

It will be.  I've had so many relatively minor issues with them both over the years from rugby, mainly ac joint and rotator cuffs, that it's not really a surprise! Difference is that previously I've been regularly up there playing and training so I'd have seen club physio to get it sorted.  Now I'm semi-retired and not really up at the club I've just sat on the problem instead of getting on the rehab, so it's only got worse!

I've let myself go massively in the last couple of months due to impending fatherhood, becoming a father and now suffering with a cold (which is great considering to day is my first day back at work following 3 weeks paternity leave!)

As soon as this illness has done one i'll be full throttle on the fitness train.

Intending on doing my gym sessions / runs before I start work in the morning's so around 6.30am which is a new one for me as i've always gone after work previously.

Does anyone else train early? Any tips?

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:30 PM, Superscally said:

Heading for my first week of running every day for a week since I was conkers deep in the Sahara desert... Solid parkrun this morning. 

wait whats all this about the Sahara? I was listening to someone chatting about Marathon Des Sables and I think its now on my bucket list

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I've let myself go massively in the last couple of months due to impending fatherhood, becoming a father and now suffering with a cold (which is great considering to day is my first day back at work following 3 weeks paternity leave!)

As soon as this illness has done one i'll be full throttle on the fitness train.

Intending on doing my gym sessions / runs before I start work in the morning's so around 6.30am which is a new one for me as i've always gone after work previously.

don't do it if you're not a morning person, or you'll just set yourself up for defeat! I've tried this but it wasn't really working for me, then you feel like you've flopped on a goal, but essentially im just crap at waking up early.

Just now, grilladelphia said:

don't do it if you're not a morning person, or you'll just set yourself up for defeat! I've tried this but it wasn't really working for me, then you feel like you've flopped on a goal, but essentially im just crap at waking up early.

I like to think i'm a morning person but proof will be in the pudding I guess!

The main thing i'd probably struggle with is i'm so used to eating as soon as I wake up but i've bought one of those nutribullet smoothie makers to try and counteract that. My thought process was that if I could drink something healthy and throw in a few oats first thing it would tide me through the gym session and until I get to work and have some porridge.

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If you're going to go early my biggest tip would be to make sure that all your gear is laid out / packed up and ready to go the night before.  Always found it gets me in the right mindset before I even go to bed, and removes a few potential excuses for not doing it when you get up :)

EDIT - add the food / smoothie whatever to that as well. Make it the night before and have it ready to go in the fridge

Edited by Quark

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I started doing this last year. I'd always thought it would be nigh on impossible and leave me knackered all day, but it really hasn't been the case and I v rarely go after work now (and I don't eat until 1pm either). Often gives me a bit of a spring in my step (must be the endorphins). I am a morning person though (I wake up annoyingly early) and has enabled me to go from three fitness a week to five since.

You also might want to consider not eating before you exercise too, as some say you burn into more fat that way (like most things, it's disputed by some).

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I started doing this last year. I'd always thought it would be nigh on impossible and leave me knackered all day, but it really hasn't been the case and I v rarely go after work now (and I don't eat until 1pm either). Often gives me a bit of a spring in my step (must be the endorphins). I am a morning person though (I wake up annoyingly early) and has enabled me to go from three fitness a week to five since.

You also might want to consider not eating before you exercise too, as some say you burn into more fat that way (like most things, it's disputed by some).

Yeah was about to suggest this as well, go straight out no food and you'll burn off more stored fats

As for this weekend I had a surprise 30th to attend for a good mate, had every intention of not drinking and no naughties.

That obviously never happened, was wiped out Saturday all day, but managed to pick myself up for a struggler 21km on Sunday - just looked at next weeks long run and its 17 miles... (just over 27k!) definitely need a mega healthy fuelling week to prepare!