Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

4 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I did my 5 rep max for squats on Monday, the DOMS set in by Wednesday which didn't help when attempting circuits and trying to run! 

Always fun!

This is the second week of this new workout plan, so I'm hoping it follows normal pattern and the worst of the DOMS comes in the first week.  Based on that, this weekend shouldn't be too bad. We'll find out when I go out for a 10 miler in the morning :lol:

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Is that an event or just weekend long run?

yeah switched my sunday long training run for tomorrow so I can go out with my mate who's also doing brighton marathon - but have agreed to do 10k with another mate sunday... will have to see how the legs are holding up!

will actually be my longest run, previously half 21km furthest

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Always fun!

This is the second week of this new workout plan, so I'm hoping it follows normal pattern and the worst of the DOMS comes in the first week.  Based on that, this weekend shouldn't be too bad. We'll find out when I go out for a 10 miler in the morning :lol:

.....the DOMS?

Just now, Quark said:

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

The one that kicks in 1-2 days after training (primarily weights) and leaves you walking like John Wayne / unable to push doors open :lol:

Ah-ha! I know the ones. 

I also have a new programme, and this week I went to the free weights part of the gym and did it all by myself without being scared of the meat heads 🙂 I went to work super early so I could be in the gym by 4pm, which worked perfectly! 

Also got back into climbing in a big way which is exciting. Just worried I'm neglecting the old cardio....I have booked a cheeky 30 min spin on Sunday morning, but ideally need to do my normal programme before which means starting at 8am!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Ah-ha! I know the ones. 

I also have a new programme, and this week I went to the free weights part of the gym and did it all by myself without being scared of the meat heads 🙂 I went to work super early so I could be in the gym by 4pm, which worked perfectly! 

Also got back into climbing in a big way which is exciting. Just worried I'm neglecting the old cardio....I have booked a cheeky 30 min spin on Sunday morning, but ideally need to do my normal programme before which means starting at 8am!!!

That's cool.  Most of the meatheads (and I suspect at first glance I'd probably be one of them :D ) are cool.  The gangs of bros doing shit bicep curls are a different kettle of fish, but most guys who train free weights that I know couldn't give two hoots about women training as well.  One of the good things about the whole Instagram fitness thing is that women lifting weights is waaaay more common than it used to be.  Go you!

I wouldn't worry too much about neglecting cardio.  A good way to look at it (I found) is to stop thinking in 7-day cycles. Physically speaking a week is a very arbitrary timescale to fit in x number of different sessions, although you obviously have to fit around things like class timetables, work and weekends.  Try taking a 2 week view instead, and maybe alternate some of your sessions around so you're not totally neglecting anything

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Went to circuits this morning and it concluded with 4 straight minutes of burpees.

Yikes! I have a love/ hate relationship with burpees! I think the most I've ever done is 3 minutes and my form at the end of that has completely gone! 

I had 75 minutes of hot yoga last night then 5 km run tonight in preparation for my half marathon on Sunday. 

I'm still feeling a little sluggish from Christmas and a bit of lurgy  so don't think it will be a PB but I pretty much only have motivation if I have something in the diary to train for and at least I'll get a medal :) 

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

Yikes! I have a love/ hate relationship with burpees! I think the most I've ever done is 3 minutes and my form at the end of that has completely gone! 

For context, it was immediately after 4 minutes of squat jumps. I was a broken man by the end if it.

I'm also down with the jelly legs.

6 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I had 75 minutes of hot yoga last night then 5 km run tonight in preparation for my half marathon on Sunday. 

I'm still feeling a little sluggish from Christmas and a bit of lurgy  so don't think it will be a PB but I pretty much only have motivation if I have something in the diary to train for and at least I'll get a medal :) 

good luck on the half!

16 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Yep know that feeling.  Got these two booked in to keep me honest over the next 4 months

https://www.forestofdean-halfmarathon.co.uk/spring_trails/index.php

https://paras10.com/the-races/paras10-tab/

42 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep know that feeling.  Got these two booked in to keep me honest over the next 4 months

https://www.forestofdean-halfmarathon.co.uk/spring_trails/index.php

https://paras10.com/the-races/paras10-tab/

forest of dean looks like a nice one!

I've got my eye on this one as well https://www.theraceorganiser.com/race-course-map/grand-union-canal-half-marathon-spring-05-04-2020-10-00 as it finishes a 10min drive from my house :) 

6 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

They both look a bit brutal! 

Never done the Forest of Dean one so will have to find out!  My brother's done it before and he reckons it's relatively flat, so shouldn't be too painful.  I think we're planning to use it as a nice run in the woods rather than gunning for a time, but still a half marathon so don't want to get too cocky!

The Paras one sounds worse than it is tbh.  Once you're used to running with the weight and adjusting your pace and running style, you kind of settle into it a bit.  The hardest part on 2018 was it was blisteringly hot, which threw me way off course as I'd just not been training in that weather!  Just missed out on sub-2 hrs last time, so that's my goal for this one.  Stretch is 1hr 50, which is the regiment's qualifying time.

Good luck on Sunday!

55 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

forest of dean looks like a nice one!

I've got my eye on this one as well https://www.theraceorganiser.com/race-course-map/grand-union-canal-half-marathon-spring-05-04-2020-10-00 as it finishes a 10min drive from my house :) 

That does look cool.  Just the logistics of transport for a point to point run, but if it finishes close to home then it should be a bit easier :)