Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Anyone got a lot of experience of HIIT? I used to do a lot of classes (back when they were an hour long), but sort of saw the shorter ones as 'cheating' (not v scientific). So I tend to lean towards cardio machines these days, but think I may be missing a trick. I reckon I may try and shift towards doing more classes again (they do a lot of 30 min ones at Puregym) from Feb onwards. Is that a good idea/better use of my time?

I'm pretty time poor, so being only half an hour long they work for me.

Also, as the focus is frequently on bodyweight exercise you'll build more upper body muscle and core strength than just ploughing away on a treadmill.

5 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

I feel like judging by the level of effort in this thread the Efests crew is gonna look as ripped as the Love Island lot come June!

dont worry I will even things out :) ...  I do marvel at some of the effort on this thread and wish I could motivate myself to up my levels slightly  :) 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

dont worry I will even things out :) ...  I do marvel at some of the effort on this thread and wish I could motivate myself to up my levels slightly  :) 

all ill say is (if you're available Saturday mornings) parkrun parkrun parkrun - very welcoming crowd wherever you go, nice bit of cardio & free! excellent start to getting fitter - plus youll be smashing PBs every week which is great for motivation

• Like 1

Just now, grilladelphia said:

all ill say is (if you're available Saturday mornings) parkrun parkrun parkrun - very welcoming crowd wherever you go, nice bit of cardio & free! excellent start to getting fitter - plus youll be smashing PBs every week which is great for motivation

unfortunately I work sat mornings ... ill work something out though ... this year Glastonbury will be the best ever and won't be impeded by any fitness or mobility issues 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Quark said:

Personally I find a mixture is the best approach.  HIIT classes are generally (but not 100%) to be "better" for fat burning as your metabolic rate stays up for longer once you've actually completed the session.

Like all things it's training your body to do different things I guess. I know I'v always been at my fittest when doing a variety, so I try to do a spin class once every other week for my HIIT fix, and one or two longer runs a week for the steady state stuff.

In that short 30 min timeframe, yes I would say you're more likely to get greater benefit from a HIIT class, but it's equally possible to blow yourself out on a cardio machine in the same time.  It's easy to throw together sprint sets, progressive overload, pyramids etc on machines, and they can do a hell of a good job! Have you explored the built in programmes much? Or I've got a couple I like to fall back on I can walk you through? 

What progs do you use please? I just bang the runner on go and keep going generally! Ta.

16 hours ago, Garrett_Salas said:

It was my understanding that really HIIT done properly should not be longer than 30 minutes max plus you should do it twice a week at most - but in terms of building stamina it'll do more than standard cardio. there's my 100% uninformed decision.

Okay, nice one,  I already do spin once a week anyway and am doing a new circuits class now too. Will keep those two up (and supplement with an extra 10 mins on a machine each time!)

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

What progs do you use please? I just bang the runner on go and keep going generally! Ta.

coachmag.co.uk is a good website for different cardio programs, workouts and all other fitness related stuff.  I get regular e-mails from them and find them very useful.

21 minutes ago, Homer said:

I don't tend to use the treadmill much tbh, but most will have the random programmes that can replicate hills etc.  The two I do use that are pretty good are for rowing machine and bike, both based on work/rest principles.

Rowing machine one is alternating sprints and rest, one minute on and one minute off.  The aim is to pick a sprint pace that you have to bust a gut to hit, and aim to maintain that across your sets (got this one courtesy of our ex-marine rugby coach).  So the standard we worked to was a sprint pace of 1:40/500m. Target would be a one minute sprint at that pace, then a one minute rest. Repeat the cycle until you can't maintain the sprint pace any more.  Over time you can either increase the number of sets you're doing or increase the sprint pace, so you're always challenging yourself. I won't lie, it's not fun.

The bike one is a bit different as you maintain a constant pace but change the resistance, assuming it's a standard gym bike with effort levels (1-25 or similar). This one you're working on two minutes on, one minute off, and every round you increase the working resistance by one level but always come back to the same rest level. The aim with this one is to maintain a constant RPM on the bike as the resistance changes, between 70-80 RPM. So you might start with 2 mins work at level 10 resistance, working at 70-80 RPM, then drop for 1 minute rest to level 5 but maintain that 70-80 RPM. At the end of the rest period, 2 mins work but at level 11, then a minute rest back at level 5. Keep increasing your working set resistance until you can't really maintain that RPM anymore.  It's a good session for a 30 minute window, and once you get the feel for your working resistance levels you should find you're absolutely blowing at the end of it :)

Slowing getting through my marathon training, marathon is at the end of April so I still have a fair bit of time.

I've booked a trail 10km for the weekend before Glasto too as I want to work on my speed after the marathon. 

A 10km should also be enough to keep my fitness levels up without starting Glasto with tired legs! 

10 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Slowing getting through my marathon training, marathon is at the end of April so I still have a fair bit of time.

I've booked a trail 10km for the weekend before Glasto too as I want to work on my speed after the marathon. 

A 10km should also be enough to keep my fitness levels up without starting Glasto with tired legs! 

which marathon are you doing? I've got 9 miles on my plan tonight :( 

careful on the trail before G you don't want a rolled ankle!

edit: reminds me last year I bailed on helping out at my friends kids birthday party as it was in a lake and I didn't want to get some horrible lake water disease before going - minimise all risk ahaha

Edited by grilladelphia

4 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

which marathon are you doing? I've got 9 miles on my plan tonight :( 

careful on the trail before G you don't want a rolled ankle!

edit: reminds me last year I bailed on helping out at my friends kids birthday party as it was in a lake and I didn't want to get some horrible lake water disease before going - minimise all risk ahaha

I'm doing Southampton marathon, I missed out on the London ballot and it's the same day. Which one are you doing?

Luckily I haven't had anything more than 6 miles mid-week yet, it's going to get tough to get motivated after work when that kind of mileage starts! 

I actually hadn't thought of the risks of injury from the trail run! I thought I was choosing the sensible 10k option!! I think I'll be taking it very slowly.

14 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm doing Southampton marathon, I missed out on the London ballot and it's the same day. Which one are you doing?

Luckily I haven't had anything more than 6 miles mid-week yet, it's going to get tough to get motivated after work when that kind of mileage starts! 

I actually hadn't thought of the risks of injury from the trail run! I thought I was choosing the sensible 10k option!! I think I'll be taking it very slowly.

yeah I missed out on London as well so doing Brighton with a couple of mates which is April 19th, may do a half in May as well just to keep the fitness levels up - I've had a look at week 13 of my plan, 50 miles that week!! not looking forward to that

yeah take the 10k slow and steady footwork youll be fine!

5 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Anyone doing/done a parkrun whilst being at the festival?

I am an avid pr tourist and will be looking to get my fix on the Saturday morning. My mates think I'm seriously sad. :) 

There is a festival run during the festival ... worth searching on fb for it ... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

I am an avid pr tourist and will be looking to get my fix on the Saturday morning. My mates think I'm seriously sad. :) 

I've considered this myself but tbh looking to save as much energy as possible, my phone put my walking distance over the weekend at 120km last year!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

The nearest one to Glastonbury itself is in Street. I did it while staying with a mate. It's v flat with nice views of the Tor, etc, though you are just running laps of two fields (as opposed to a 5k 'course').

22 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

I've heard someone puts on a run but I don't think it's an official park run. 

As much as I like running there is no chance of me doing it. Wasted energy if you ask me! 

29 minutes ago, Homer said:

The nearest one to Glastonbury itself is in Street. I did it while staying with a mate. It's v flat with nice views of the Tor, etc, though you are just running laps of two fields (as opposed to a 5k 'course').

The only running I’ve ever done in Street is getting as fast as possible around that fuckin shopping complex as Mrs c attempts to slow me up. 

34 minutes ago, Homer said:

However the nearest park run to Glastonbury festival is Shepton mallet. Again it's 2 laps of a route through a park.

• Like 1