Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

In April 2018 I started running for the first time in my life and in April 2019 I completed both a marathon and an ultra marathon. Being in such good shape made Glastonbury so much better. I couldn't believe the difference. Constant energy to do whatever I wanted, no back pain from standing up for hours, not needing more than a couple of hours of sleep each night... was amazing. 

• Upvote 1

Exercised six times last week and put on a pound - not sure why I bother sometimes! Still went to the gym this morning though!

Had some beers on Friday night, so think the Sat am weigh in may have been a bit of a false reading. Will see next week...

I've started going to the gym before work, and by "started" I of course mean "started today".

6:30 at the gym for when it opens, then back home to shower, have breakfast and sort my lunch. Helps I'm only 20 minutes' walk from work but it works pretty well.

Really hoping I can stick to it cos I've been a real lazy shit for the last few months!

Anyone else doing AM workouts? I had a can of diet coke beforehand for a bit of caffeine but think I'll try a banana (or half one) as well tomorrow just for that bit of extra pep.

Hoping to do this Mon-Fri and then maybe Sunday too. Saturdays are definitely gonna be can't-be-arsed days though.

1 hour ago, Room to sway said:

I've started going to the gym before work, and by "started" I of course mean "started today".

6:30 at the gym for when it opens, then back home to shower, have breakfast and sort my lunch. Helps I'm only 20 minutes' walk from work but it works pretty well.

Really hoping I can stick to it cos I've been a real lazy shit for the last few months!

Anyone else doing AM workouts? I had a can of diet coke beforehand for a bit of caffeine but think I'll try a banana (or half one) as well tomorrow just for that bit of extra pep.

Hoping to do this Mon-Fri and then maybe Sunday too. Saturdays are definitely gonna be can't-be-arsed days though.

Always used to be a morning trainer, but logistics have shuffled it around.  I always found something like a banana or a slice of toast with peanut butter would just about do the job that early, but realistically you need to give an hour or so for it to really have much of an effect beyond settling your stomach down.

It's a good option though, gets it out of the way early and the gym's usually emptier!

2 hours ago, Room to sway said:

I started last year and much prefer it now. I thought it would hit my effectiveness at work but it hasn't at all. If anything if often puts a bit of spring in the step.

You may want to consider not eating before you gym. The idea is that if you exercise before you eat in the morning, you start burning straight into fat.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

Edited by Homer

Ah OK, thanks both. I'd be eating just 20 minutes before the start of the workout (that only lasts 30 minutes at the moment) so that's probably not going to be useful.

I'll stick to a bit of caffeine beforehand, then tuck into my breakfast after.

Going to the pub tonight...

10 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Ah OK, thanks both. I'd be eating just 20 minutes before the start of the workout (that only lasts 30 minutes at the moment) so that's probably not going to be useful.

I'll stick to a bit of caffeine beforehand, then tuck into my breakfast after.

Going to the pub tonight...

Proper training session!

Certainly on cardio I notice a big old difference.  Went for a 10 mile run a couple of weeks ago after a slice of toast, legs completely ran out of fuel and struggled on the second half.

Ran 9 miles with more than double the climbs this weekend, but had a proper bowl of oats, yoghurt and fruit and gave it 2 hrs to settle before I set off.  Had energy to burn!

Haha it's not exactly hardcore but it's gonna be enough to stay healthy if I do it 5 days a week! :P I'm 42 so not young but not that old yet.

For sure if it was something more strenous (or strenous at all) I don't think it'd work really in the morning cos as you say I'd have to eat at like 4. Fuck that.

I'm doing it to get out of a rut & feel better about myself not to start running marathons. Yet ;)

Some of you have it easy :)  ... I have the joys of trying to manage blood sugar thrown into the equation with many different things having an effect ... a bloody nightmare when trying to lose weight through exercise :) I can control it well day to day .. but cant suss it out as different exercise has different effects :( 

@crazyfool1 sounds like a pain, is there an expert of some kind who can help? Doctor? Nutritionist? Listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik? Just having sex magic?

I didn't have any bananas in the fridge this morning, but I did have a cream and raspberry doughnut. While it was delicious it didn't really seem to help my workout? Useful information anyway I'm sure. Main thing is I went to the gym before work.

If I can be motivated to do it then you all can too :P

Has anyone set themselves any specific fitness goals like running x amount of miles in the year or a specific race or iron man event etc? As well as my half marathon in September I'm considering planning a day where I take the train to Bath and then run the 16 miles back to Bristol, thought it could be a fun challenge to work towards.

28 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Has anyone set themselves any specific fitness goals like running x amount of miles in the year or a specific race or iron man event etc? As well as my half marathon in September I'm considering planning a day where I take the train to Bath and then run the 16 miles back to Bristol, thought it could be a fun challenge to work towards.

Yep.  Hit 40 next year so decided now's as good a time as any to set some specific goals.  I always work better with stuff to aim for, so it made sense to me. Birthday's not long after Glastonbury, so aiming to hit these by mid-June.

• Running from my house to the top of Chanctonbury Hill and back. (CH is an old iron age burial mound on the South Downs Way; it's about 7.5km from my house to the top, 4km flat and then 3.5km solid climbing). Figured it would take me a few goes to do it without breaking stride, but did that at the weekend so first one ticked.
  • Signed up for a second crack at the Fan Dance load-bearing race in January. Did it last year with Mrs Q to raise money for charity, but this year I'm going back to see how fast I can actually do it. Haven't set a target time yet, going to see how training goes.
  • Waiting for registration to open, but also signing up for another go at the Paras 10 TAB race at Colchester in May.  Did it in 2:03:56 last year, so target is sub-2 hrs. Stretch target is sub 1hr 50 which is the cutoff time for Paras selection.
  • Sub 50-min 10km (PB is about 52min)
  • Sub 22-min 5km (PB is 23:13)
  • Breaking 3km in the Cooper Test. Basically how far you can run in 12 mins, very good indicator of your VO2 max. Managed 3km once ages ago, but reckon I'm not far off it.
  • At least one 100+mile bike ride
  • Get my body fat back below 15%.

Was a bit unsure about putting them up tbh, but once goals are out there it gives you a sense of accountability! So yeah, now they're there!

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Room to sway said:

@crazyfool1 sounds like a pain, is there an expert of some kind who can help? Doctor? Nutritionist? Listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik? Just having sex magic?

I didn't have any bananas in the fridge this morning, but I did have a cream and raspberry doughnut. While it was delicious it didn't really seem to help my workout? Useful information anyway I'm sure. Main thing is I went to the gym before work.

If I can be motivated to do it then you all can too :P

its not easy as I only get 15 mins with consultant once a year ... and different exercise intensity has very different results ... but I will persist ... for example last night I had to take on loads of carbs after 2 hours badminton ( I run about like a nutter :) ) to stop me dropping dangerously low and had to eat a bit more at 3am when I woke as I saw blood sugar still dropping ... but yes I shall see if I can get referred to any experts involving diabetes and exercise .. after all steve redgrave was a fellow type 1 diabetic :) 

28 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Deadlift 100kg - nearly there, but as my body weight drops then keeping the lifting as high becomes more of a challenge, so weight to drop with lifting the same / more

Get back to running and cardio (as lifting alone doesn;t hack it, and I'm fine with Hiit workouts that are short and sharp but any length of the same cardio I suck at and get ssssoooo bored !

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yep.  Hit 40 next year so decided now's as good a time as any to set some specific goals.  I always work better with stuff to aim for, so it made sense to me. Birthday's not long after Glastonbury, so aiming to hit these by mid-June.

• Running from my house to the top of Chanctonbury Hill and back. (CH is an old iron age burial mound on the South Downs Way; it's about 7.5km from my house to the top, 4km flat and then 3.5km solid climbing). Figured it would take me a few goes to do it without breaking stride, but did that at the weekend so first one ticked.
  • Signed up for a second crack at the Fan Dance load-bearing race in January. Did it last year with Mrs Q to raise money for charity, but this year I'm going back to see how fast I can actually do it. Haven't set a target time yet, going to see how training goes.
  • Waiting for registration to open, but also signing up for another go at the Paras 10 TAB race at Colchester in May.  Did it in 2:03:56 last year, so target is sub-2 hrs. Stretch target is sub 1hr 50 which is the cutoff time for Paras selection.
  • Sub 50-min 10km (PB is about 52min)
  • Sub 22-min 5km (PB is 23:13)
  • Breaking 3km in the Cooper Test. Basically how far you can run in 12 mins, very good indicator of your VO2 max. Managed 3km once ages ago, but reckon I'm not far off it.
  • At least one 100+mile bike ride
  • Get my body fat back below 15%.

Was a bit unsure about putting them up tbh, but once goals are out there it gives you a sense of accountability! So yeah, now they're there!

Crickey that's quite the list! Good to have them written down though so you can crack on with achieving them! My goal for my half marathon is sub 1hr 50min. My 10km PB is 49:53 and my 5km is 24.36, however I'm going to my second ever park run on Saturday and I'm optimistic about setting a new PB as my half marathon training has built my endurance ability so much I reckon I can get in under 24mins at least.

26 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Deadlift 100kg - nearly there, but as my body weight drops then keeping the lifting as high becomes more of a challenge, so weight to drop with lifting the same / more

Get back to running and cardio (as lifting alone doesn;t hack it, and I'm fine with Hiit workouts that are short and sharp but any length of the same cardio I suck at and get ssssoooo bored !

You have my admiration, I have the upper body strength of a T-rex

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

its not easy as I only get 15 mins with consultant once a year ... and different exercise intensity has very different results ... but I will persist ... for example last night I had to take on loads of carbs after 2 hours badminton ( I run about like a nutter :) ) to stop me dropping dangerously low and had to eat a bit more at 3am when I woke as I saw blood sugar still dropping ... but yes I shall see if I can get referred to any experts involving diabetes and exercise .. after all steve redgrave was a fellow type 1 diabetic :) 

15 minutes a year is mental!

Hope something can be put in place to make things a bit easier for you ?

4 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

15 minutes a year is mental!

Hope something can be put in place to make things a bit easier for you ?

I cope well enough but would like to manage without fewer carbs .. I can have less insulin of course but cant seem to get a balance at the moment :) like I say not a disaster just frustrating more than anything .. I get to see my diabetic nurse at the gp too ... but they really dont have the knowledge and just do the basic / normal health checks .. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ran the furthest I have ever ran in one go yesterday clocking in at 12 miles. It took me 1hr 40mins so I feel like I'm in good shape for my half marathon in five weeks. I trialled an energy gel thing for the first time and it didn't upset my stomach and definitely improved my energy towards the end of the run so think I will be continuing with them.

• Upvote 1

Had to take a week and a half off running, flared up the tendon & muscle down the front of my shin so had to rest it. First one back out this morning, new PBs for 10 miles and 15km so pretty happy with that.

7 weeks out from the half and bang on target for the time, was slightly lower than race pace today but feel like there's plenty still in the tank :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 1:53 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

Ran the furthest I have ever ran in one go yesterday clocking in at 12 miles. It took me 1hr 40mins so I feel like I'm in good shape for my half marathon in five weeks. I trialled an energy gel thing for the first time and it didn't upset my stomach and definitely improved my energy towards the end of the run so think I will be continuing with them.

Theoretically you shouldn't need them as your muscle glycogen should have you right till about 18 miles if properly trained. For time being, stick with em, but the fact they're improving you currently means you probably need a bit more mileage in the training moving forward. Good luck!!

On 8/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, Superscally said:

Theoretically you shouldn't need them as your muscle glycogen should have you right till about 18 miles if properly trained. For time being, stick with em, but the fact they're improving you currently means you probably need a bit more mileage in the training moving forward. Good luck!!

Only done three or four runs to date that have been more than 10miles so probably not the most conditioned of legs for the longer distances yet.

Did 20km last week and had some calf pain after, thought I’d give it a few days to recover and didn’t run until my interval training last night. It’s now much worse and stairs are a struggle. Looks like I’m benched and with only three weeks until my half marathon as well ?

2 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Only done three or four runs to date that have been more than 10miles so probably not the most conditioned of legs for the longer distances yet.

Did 20km last week and had some calf pain after, thought I’d give it a few days to recover and didn’t run until my interval training last night. It’s now much worse and stairs are a struggle. Looks like I’m benched and with only three weeks until my half marathon as well ?

Ice, stretch and foam roll (can't recommend foam rolling enough!)