Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

I don't think I could take the pressure of a charity space with a specified target for raising money, but if I got a place I'd try and raise a bit as it would be my first Marathon.

I raised money when I was training for my first half marathon and found it was good for days that I was struggling with motivation too. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Bit of a disappointing day for me at the bristol half Marathon, went out to fast and then blew up at about mile 9, guess for a first attempt it was a lesson learned. Aimed for 1:50 and got 1:53 so not too far off the mark. Good excuse to try again aye!

That's a great job! 

Race day atmosphere will make most people rush off too quickly at the start :) 

Also applied for the London Marathon so trying to get a few miles in my legs just in case I get a place in the ballot.  Did  7k at lunchtime and felt quite good.  Done it once before for a charity but won't be going down that route this time.  Just filling out the application this year it felt like a lot of pressure to raise money for someone, don't they realise people just want to run it for their own achievement.

I went climbing again for the first time since I moved to Glasgow. It was so great! Seems like a great place too.... Although they play a lot less techno than they did in the place in Sheffield!

Also ramped up the gym classes. Spinning and LBT on Sunday, Pump and spinning today, and Pump and LBT on Thursday. Also spotted a running club in the park near me so may also try and join that. 

Just need to figure out if forking out for both climbing membership and gym membership is worth it!

On 9/15/2019 at 2:47 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

Bit of a disappointing day for me at the bristol half Marathon, went out to fast and then blew up at about mile 9, guess for a first attempt it was a lesson learned. Aimed for 1:50 and got 1:53 so not too far off the mark. Good excuse to try again aye!

That's still a feckin decent time mate, good run!

Went out and did the UK Cycling 100km in the New Forest at the weekend, absolutely perfect weather for it. Lovely old day out.

Got the Barns Green Half in 2 weeks, so will get the last long run out this weekend and then take it pretty easy next week leading into the run on Sunday.  Aiming for 2 with a stretch of 1:50, but so long as I can make the sub-2 then that'll be the third of my challenges for this year in 3 months :)

20 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

That's a great job! 

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's still a feckin decent time mate, good run!

Thanks both, now that’s it’s settled in I’m pretty happy with it, still going to try to best it next year though!

For the remainder of this year I’m going to concentrate on improving my Park Run time. I don’t think my current PB of 24:46 is reflective of what I could actually achieve if I focused on that distance for a while.

i think one of the (myriad) reasons that i fell into a pathetic slump at the festival this year was my fitness.

mental fitness (for me) is a massive factor and thats what really finished me in the end - but mental fitness can be helped greatly by physical fitness.

unfortunately, my fitness levels are rock bottom - i found the heat this year as difficult to deal with as the mud, maybe more so, and thats because i'm very very unfit...

so - and i have absolutely no idea how i am going to achieve it - but i am determined that come next june, should i be blessed with tickets, i'll be in shape to go large like its '94.

and now i've put that on paper, i HAVE to do so!

I started going to spin classes 3x a week before the last one which I felt helped with the dragging stuff up hills

Now started 3x personal training sessions a week (2 with instructor, and one where I just copy what we did by myself). Feel a hell of a lot fitter and more 'alive' generally, I've stopped drinking coffee and still feel like I've had 2 a day. Would like to continue it through and be in a much better state for next June 

53 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i think one of the (myriad) reasons that i fell into a pathetic slump at the festival this year was my fitness.

mental fitness (for me) is a massive factor and thats what really finished me in the end - but mental fitness can be helped greatly by physical fitness.

unfortunately, my fitness levels are rock bottom - i found the heat this year as difficult to deal with as the mud, maybe more so, and thats because i'm very very unfit...

so - and i have absolutely no idea how i am going to achieve it - but i am determined that come next june, should i be blessed with tickets, i'll be in shape to go large like its '94.

Unfortunately it's a pain in the ass fact that the 3 simplest things that can have the biggest beneficial effect on your mental health - exercise, good diet and plenty of sleep - are also the ones that tend to go out of the window fastest when you're in a mental slump. Massively frustrating!

Best thing I can suggest as a starting point is finding a few activities that really enjoy doing, and use those as a base.  Forcing yourself straight into an exercise programme as a starting point when you're not really feeling it is a sure-fire way to put yourself off doing it :)

1 hour ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

I'd suggest couch to 5k as a starting point... worked wonders for me and now I'm doing my 4th Half Mara in a year next weekend! 

3 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

I think it's all about finding a type of exercise that you enjoy and works for you. Couch to 5k like @gmb1992 suggested is great and def give it a try (and if you like it, a running club might help make it more fun!) but don't give up if you just can't get into running. If you can afford it, you could try a cheap gym which has a variety of classes and see if you like any of them (xercise4less in Sheffield used to be crazy cheap). Or get a cheap bike off gym tree for £50 and try cycling - that might work.

Personally, I found exercise kind of boring until I started climbing. It's a great way to get fit without feeling like you're exercising and very social. It can be a bit expensive though....

Once you'vegot a bit fitter doing something you enjoy you find that other types of exercise aren't as terrible after all! 

funny thing is, i know exactly what i should do - i used to cycle 20 miles a day in london, did that every day for 6 or so years until i got made redundant from that job and my next job was based too far to cycle.

that was 3 years ago now - i've not been back on my bike once since that final ride home from work.

the problem is - not only have i not cycled in that time, i have done NOTHING in that time and i really feel physically dreadful.

i do want to get back on the bike, but years of fixed gear cycling have taken a toll on my knees - pain comes and goes but sometimes can be really bad, and the joint impact is something which prevents me from running.

i know that once i can get myself into a routine i will be on the right track - its just getting back into the swing of it, i used to love cycling and really enjoyed my brief spells of going to the gym way back..

my problem is basically dragging my sorry ass off the sofa in the first place... 

but i have made a promise to myself - come next june i WILL be in a condition to make the very most of it!

4 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

funny thing is, i know exactly what i should do - i used to cycle 20 miles a day in london, did that every day for 6 or so years until i got made redundant from that job and my next job was based too far to cycle.

that was 3 years ago now - i've not been back on my bike once since that final ride home from work.

the problem is - not only have i not cycled in that time, i have done NOTHING in that time and i really feel physically dreadful.

i do want to get back on the bike, but years of fixed gear cycling have taken a toll on my knees - pain comes and goes but sometimes can be really bad, and the joint impact is something which prevents me from running.

i know that once i can get myself into a routine i will be on the right track - its just getting back into the swing of it, i used to love cycling and really enjoyed my brief spells of going to the gym way back..

my problem is basically dragging my sorry ass off the sofa in the first place... 

but i have made a promise to myself - come next june i WILL be in a condition to make the very most of it!

You've got this - don;t set massive goals, set small ones and soon the small goals grow and grow , start sooner rather than later

I've been really bad at exercising since the festival - summer got in the way along with a cold and cough followed by another cough and now have another one (and until this summer I very very rarely was ill) - its taken its toll but I'll get back into and and love it again

I can recommend Couch to 5K as well - you can get free apps that just tell you what to do so you can use it in the gym (or outside) and run in tiny bursts when the voice asks you to. I went from not being able to run for a bus to doing 10ks on that. 

5 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

so with all the advice above what's it to be ... you've put that its good to have it on paper ... even better put the plan on here ...  and we can see how you are doing :) 

well, theres two things i gotta do.

1) sort out my diet - much the same as exercise, food is easy to mess up and hard to sort out, but also like exercise its about getting into routine. a few years ago i got a little obsessed with Dr Robert Lustig and i totally cut out ALL added sugars and only ate things that i'd made from raw ingredients... then i fell off the wagon and into the convenient routine of basically eating crap (basically, up to Glastonbury really into it, after a week long Festival diet of booze & crisps, well and truly off of that wagon)... really gotta get on top of this.

2) realistically as far as exercise goes - the best first step for me is to get, literally, back on the bike. i know its there as i see it everyday in the garage gathering dust! 

i also used to love cycle maintenance, building my own bikes etc.. so this is a much more realistic objective than saying i'll go to the gym, or start jogging or whatever..

2 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

It really is about getting yourself back in a routine

I think it's something like it takes 3 weeks to form a habit :) 

and a day to break it ;)

So I have been crap since the August now. I have a new job which means I do not work from home anymore so fitting in runs have gone (I know I could do it really). I eat too much at the moment without the exercise to counter balance. I also turned my ankle (insert joke here) and that took a week or so to be any good, and in that time I stopped any exercise. Weighted has all piled back on as well of course

Will try and get back on it soon though and plan to go to the Gym tomorrow and start on the couch to 5k at the weekend starting back at week 5.

Bit gutted it all stopped as I was doing ok but tomorrow is a new day etc.

Oh and my love of crisps is not a great thing so need to knock that on the head.

Also it's been said on here before but the My Fitness Pal free app is also pretty handy for diet.

It mainly focuses on calories but you can look into macros etc if you wish. You can scan stuff from your phone and it's I find it pretty good for when I need to keep an eye on what I'm eating. 

36 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

well, theres two things i gotta do.

1) sort out my diet - much the same as exercise, food is easy to mess up and hard to sort out, but also like exercise its about getting into routine. a few years ago i got a little obsessed with Dr Robert Lustig and i totally cut out ALL added sugars and only ate things that i'd made from raw ingredients... then i fell off the wagon and into the convenient routine of basically eating crap (basically, up to Glastonbury really into it, after a week long Festival diet of booze & crisps, well and truly off of that wagon)... really gotta get on top of this.

2) realistically as far as exercise goes - the best first step for me is to get, literally, back on the bike. i know its there as i see it everyday in the garage gathering dust! 

i also used to love cycle maintenance, building my own bikes etc.. so this is a much more realistic objective than saying i'll go to the gym, or start jogging or whatever..

Good luck though

Just now, gmb1992 said:

Also it's been said on here before but the My Fitness Pal free app is also pretty handy for diet.

It mainly focuses on calories but you can look into macros etc if you wish. You can scan stuff from your phone and it's I find it pretty good for when I need to keep an eye on what I'm eating. 

nice shout, will look at that

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

nice shout, will look at that

It's good because if you want a packet of crisps/chocolate bar/ pint you can just have it, log it and be accountable and adjust your day elsewhere... there's no point being miserable and getting rid of all the best things 

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Oh and my love of crisps is not a great thing so need to knock that on the head.

i hear that!

i do not have a sweet tooth at all - could quite happily never eat cake or chocolate ever again.

but crisps and bread - oh lord how i love crisps and bread...