Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Just now, JoeyT said:

Before I did my ultra a couple of years ago I didn't do much research (perhaps naively) but survived on a mixture of gels, flapjacks and cupcakes at check points.

Lots of runners used pouches of baby food as it was easy to squeeze one of those puppies in to your mouth, easy on the stomach and nutritious.

never taken on any proper food on a long run just a multitude of gels - might give it a go on my next long run

@gigpusher honey on toast duly noted! (I don't need much excuse to eat more of that / don't threaten me with a good time)

6 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

never taken on any proper food on a long run just a multitude of gels - might give it a go on my next long run

@gigpusher honey on toast duly noted! (I don't need much excuse to eat more of that / don't threaten me with a good time)

My husband is like you he doesn't like to eat much when running. It was the carb loading in the days before that he changed. He always just survived on gels as well but after 20 miles (the wall hits because your glycogen supplies are gone) I suppose it depends on how much you push yourself. My husband is a competitive person and always pushes himself to his limits. I figure it can't do any harm to do the carb loading properly. You are meant to limit the other stuff so husband actually found it all a bit bland but it's only for a few days. He liked the honey on toast though a lot of carbs per mouthful and not  a hardship to eat

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Before I did my ultra a couple of years ago I didn't do much research (perhaps naively) but survived on a mixture of gels, flapjacks and cupcakes at check points.

Lots of runners used pouches of baby food as it was easy to squeeze one of those puppies in to your mouth, easy on the stomach and nutritious.

I suppose like all things it depends on the person. My husband pushes himself to his limits so probably more likely to run into problems. I just figure doing the carb loading properly only takes a little research and if it stops anyone suffering the pain of running 6 miles with calf cramp it's probably worth it. :)

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

Got to give yourself something to look forward to!

I think I've accepted that a half is my limit - don't know how you guys do it!

yeah I heard race day referred to as the 'victory lap' after you've already done all the hard work in training which I quite like

I thought a half was my limit as well tbh - just sign up to a full marathon, tell all your mates you're doing one, and you're stuck doing it then! :)

28 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Another storm, another run done. Quite a few runners out today considering the weather. 

Good going, grim out there atm. Im out later when I've done my Sunday errands. Have a trail half at the beginning of April that'll arrive quickly. Want to be my fittest I've ever been walking around the farm this year 💪

49 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

yep another stormy run this weekend (and smashed it considering Friday night ended up being a 9am finish!) managed 20miles aka 32km in 2:36:12 - although I did pause it for about 2mins when I ran into my house at 22km for an emergency drop off/evacuation of bowels..

Wow brilliant!!! Bowel problems do seem to plague runners though. I know IBS type symptoms were what made my husband give up long distance running in the end. No amount of hospital appointments ever got to the bottom of it (pun intended!) 

He then started doing no more than 10km but he has a doctors appointment tomorrow as he has messed up his knee pretty badly and it's only taken about 6 months of me saying go to a doctor and a PT at the gym saying you really need to get that looked at for him to finally book it. 

Impressed with making it out in this weather, must confess that I haven't. It's not so much the weather itself as I don't mind that, but all of my routes use off-road footpaths and in this weather there's so much slipping and sliding it's both massively annoying and a bit of a worry for ankles/knees/back. 

On the plus side the rehab work for my shoulders seems to be working, albeit slowly.  Definitely noticing a reduction in the pains and increased mobility.  Might actually be able to lift properly again soon! :D

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Wow brilliant!!! Bowel problems do seem to plague runners though. I know IBS type symptoms were what made my husband give up long distance running in the end. No amount of hospital appointments ever got to the bottom of it (pun intended!) 

He then started doing no more than 10km but he has a doctors appointment tomorrow as he has messed up his knee pretty badly and it's only taken about 6 months of me saying go to a doctor and a PT at the gym saying you really need to get that looked at for him to finally book it. 

yeah im not normally too bad but I think the combination of about a litre of rum on Friday night combined with a huge Chinese takeaway on Saturday didn't put me in the best stead for it, aiming for a more sensible build up this week :) 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Impressed with making it out in this weather, must confess that I haven't. It's not so much the weather itself as I don't mind that, but all of my routes use off-road footpaths and in this weather there's so much slipping and sliding it's both massively annoying and a bit of a worry for ankles/knees/back. 

On the plus side the rehab work for my shoulders seems to be working, albeit slowly.  Definitely noticing a reduction in the pains and increased mobility.  Might actually be able to lift properly again soon! :D

agree'd had to stick to paths myself and some of those were even under water! good to hear on the rehab!

2 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

yep another stormy run this weekend (and smashed it considering Friday night ended up being a 9am finish!) managed 20miles aka 32km in 2:36:12 - although I did pause it for about 2mins when I ran into my house at 22km for an emergency drop off/evacuation of bowels..

Had similar a few years back when I was running round Richmond Park, thankfully I wasn't too far from some public toilets. My pace definitely picked up afterwards!!!

The bike fitness plans are now out of the window. There’s even a chance I may not even make Glasto. 

Had a random fall at work and found out that I have developed epilepsy. Consequently I’m no longer allowed to take my bike out incase I’m a danger to others. I’ll also be having quite a serious operation sometime in the future to fix the underlying issues. I’m just hoping it doesn’t clash with Glasto but health has to come first. I’m hoping to be there even if I’m not on the sauce. A sober Glastonbury will certainly be interesting. 

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The bike fitness plans are now out of the window. There’s even a chance I may not even make Glasto. 

Had a random fall at work and found out that I have developed epilepsy. Consequently I’m no longer allowed to take my bike out incase I’m a danger to others. I’ll also be having quite a serious operation sometime in the future to fix the underlying issues. I’m just hoping it doesn’t clash with Glasto but health has to come first. I’m hoping to be there even if I’m not on the sauce. A sober Glastonbury will certainly be interesting. 

Jesus, hope the underlying issues are sorted. Keep yourself safe.

47 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Hope you’re okay! X

On 2/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, grilladelphia said:

Training for a marathon, you don't need to take anything with you on a run. No gels, no sports drink, no nothing. The key is to adapt to depleting your glycogen stores with your training, not supplement on the way. Just take water, unless it's so hot you could have electrolyte issues, but go for a zero cal drink if you do. The only time you should take gels on a long run is when you're seeing if your guts and taste buds can handle them and you only need to do that couple of times. It's different if you're going considerably beyond the marathon distance, or doing a long race. Key is to get a good recovery drink or meal in within 30 mins of finishing...

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

All the best health and otherwise and if I make it you are more than welcome to join us for a bit if u need to be away from stupid levels of intoxication at any point in the direction of milder levels :) keep safe Alex 

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

Training for a marathon, you don't need to take anything with you on a run. No gels, no sports drink, no nothing. The key is to adapt to depleting your glycogen stores with your training, not supplement on the way. Just take water, unless it's so hot you could have electrolyte issues, but go for a zero cal drink if you do. The only time you should take gels on a long run is when you're seeing if your guts and taste buds can handle them and you only need to do that couple of times. It's different if you're going considerably beyond the marathon distance, or doing a long race. Key is to get a good recovery drink or meal in within 30 mins of finishing...

yeah only been using them on my long runs but ill definitely give my half marathon race at the weekend a go without gels and see how I get on

13 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Ah mate that's rough news :(

Like you say health is the priority, but fingers crossed all the rest of it comes OK as well

My half marathon training has come to a temporary stop due to shin splints 😮 it's not till June so I should be Ok but still need to double my distance and I'd very much like to be a bit faster. Also more weather warnings for wind this week, anyone else tired of battling the weather during every run? If I end up getting a ticket in the resale or a volunteer place it'll all be worth it though 🏃‍♀️😁🥳

1 hour ago, Jalbo said:

My half marathon training has come to a temporary stop due to shin splints 😮 it's not till June so I should be Ok but still need to double my distance and I'd very much like to be a bit faster. Also more weather warnings for wind this week, anyone else tired of battling the weather during every run? If I end up getting a ticket in the resale or a volunteer place it'll all be worth it though 🏃‍♀️😁🥳

It's not the weather I struggle with so much as the mud.  All my running routes round home go off road to a greater or lesser degree, and I just can't be doing with slipping and sliding all the way through it. Don't mind a bit but after a while it just gets boring! :lol:

Good luck this weekend @grilladelphia 💪

1 hour ago, Quark said:

It's not the weather I struggle with so much as the mud.  All my running routes round home go off road to a greater or lesser degree, and I just can't be doing with slipping and sliding all the way through it. Don't mind a bit but after a while it just gets boring! :lol:

Good luck this weekend @grilladelphia 💪

Cheers Quark! I think I'd be disappointed if it wasn't a mental stormy one for every long run now :)