Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Good work :)

Nearly didn't go myself tonight, got there and realised I hadn't packed a tshirt in my gym bag. Had to walk 5 mins back to the car un the the rain to get my wallet so I could buy a tshirt at the gym, which also meant the session was about 15 mins shorter than planned. Glad I managed it though!

I made it this morning 🙂 Got up at 6 and made it there by about 6.45am. Still find it a bit intimidating but stuck with it and I reckon after a few more times it will be fine. Now sitting on the train to work feeling delightfully smug and pleased with myself. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I made it this morning 🙂 Got up at 6 and made it there by about 6.45am. Still find it a bit intimidating but stuck with it and I reckon after a few more times it will be fine. Now sitting on the train to work feeling delightfully smug and pleased with myself. 

good effort! I've got to get back on it with the running tonight - starting to feel like I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this marathon training...

Just discovered this thread! I went to Glastonbury for the first time last year, thinking I was fairly healthy and was in for a huge shock! Ended up getting a trapped nerve in my foot forcing me inti bed by 1am on the Friday and pain for the rest of the weekend!

Is there any consensus view on what a general level of fitness would be to enjoy the festival? 

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Is there any consensus view on what a general level of fitness would be to enjoy the festival? 

I don’t necessarily believe there is one. I go with several people who don’t do a jot of exercise all year, rock up to the festival and go hard. They’re hurting afterwards, of course, but they make the sacrifice.

Having said that, though I train all year round I do some specific Glastonbury exercises about two months beforehand. Generally includes carrying kettlebells or a sandbag on a treadmill, while on a steep incline. Would suggest focusing on your core too.

Ran 7k yesterday morning (treadmill), so reckon my 10k in two weeks is pretty much in the bag.

Hit eight exercise in a week last week with the only 'day off' being Sunday (when I sat on a flight for 26 hours).

This week's regime kicks off with weights in a bit then football this afternoon. Weekly weigh in in a bit! 

4 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Got my gym induction booked for this morning. Have been swimming for a few months now so feel ready to up my game now. Making the most of dry January and maximising the effects of my exercise. It has been a very positive month so far.

Good work! How do you keep busy during dry Jan? Only slight issue I have is Sat nights (going to the theatre tonight).

23 hours ago, Homer said:

Good work! How do you keep busy during dry Jan? Only slight issue I have is Sat nights (going to the theatre tonight).

I have been going to gigs. The money saved not drinking has freed up cash for tickets!  Went to a cracker last night and saw a band called Beach Riot in Brighton. Slightly indie/grunge punk they absolutely tore the venue up, was a great night and Heineken 0 was a perfectly acceptable beer substitute. Got Black Honey and Peaness to come this month and possibly Beans on Toast too. This has been my easiest dry January yet, really feeling the benefit. Hopefully when I step off the wagon i can enjoy my drinking more responsibly than in the past.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, Kalopsia said:

After a year of struggling with my mental health and not feeling like I want to do any kind of physical activity, I'm proud to say I finally signed up to a local gym 3 weeks ago, now I know it's only been 3 weeks but I'm already feeling the benefits. I have more energy, I'm smiling more and weirdly found more time to do the stuff I put off for ages.

Sorry for just letting it all out but thank you for reading I guess, here's to a better mindset in 2020.

Sadly the Christmas indulgences and a few other things have led to a complete halt in exercise. Currently struggling quite badly and I know the steps I need to take but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to take them. 

10 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Sadly the Christmas indulgences and a few other things have led to a complete halt in exercise. Currently struggling quite badly and I know the steps I need to take but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to take them. 

Come on you, you did it before Christmas and look at how you felt after getting back into it.  After Christmas is a struggle for everyone but once you get that first week out of the way you'll be smiling a lot more again.

10 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Christmas put paid to my exercise regime too. One of the reasons I have done dry January is to allow me to re-establish my routine and if anything improve on it. Thankfully this has proven to be the case, it's just getting that first week or two which is the hardest, stick with it and the results will hopefully spur you on.

Annoyingly I overdid it at my gym induction and have strained my quads and triceps, what a plum! Managed to get a reasonable swim in this morning though

8 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

decent weekend of marathon training done, 5k park run on sat (officially 20:48, Strava says it was 19:35!) - and 21k slow yesterday (furthest single distance I've run since Hackney Half last year!)

Sounds like it might be a measuring issue! I think I've had that with Strava before.

Keeping up the gym and 'eating a lot less' kick that I started in the summer... feeling fitter every week and clothes fitting better thank god. Hoping to hit Glasto 2020 in much better shape than I did last year, which I'd be now if I stopped and did nothing between now and June.

The best time to plant a tree is a year ago, the second best time is today. Yes it's January and you don't always wanna do stuff, but get your eye in early ;) 

21 minutes ago, UEF said:

Keeping up the gym and 'eating a lot less' kick that I started in the summer... feeling fitter every week and clothes fitting better thank god. Hoping to hit Glasto 2020 in much better shape than I did last year, which I'd be now if I stopped and did nothing between now and June.

The best time to plant a tree is a year ago, the second best time is today. Yes it's January and you don't always wanna do stuff, but get your eye in early ;) 

I feel like judging by the level of effort in this thread the Efests crew is gonna look as ripped as the Love Island lot come June!

Anyone got a lot of experience of HIIT? I used to do a lot of classes (back when they were an hour long), but sort of saw the shorter ones as 'cheating' (not v scientific). So I tend to lean towards cardio machines these days, but think I may be missing a trick. I reckon I may try and shift towards doing more classes again (they do a lot of 30 min ones at Puregym) from Feb onwards. Is that a good idea/better use of my time?

Just now, Homer said:

Anyone got a lot of experience of HIIT? I used to do a lot of classes (back when they were an hour long), but sort of saw the shorter ones as 'cheating' (not v scientific). So I tend to lean towards cardio machines these days, but think I may be missing a trick. I reckon I may try and shift towards doing more classes again (they do a lot of 30 min ones at Puregym) from Feb onwards. Is that a good idea/better use of my time?

Personally I find a mixture is the best approach.  HIIT classes are generally (but not 100%) to be "better" for fat burning as your metabolic rate stays up for longer once you've actually completed the session.

Like all things it's training your body to do different things I guess. I know I'v always been at my fittest when doing a variety, so I try to do a spin class once every other week for my HIIT fix, and one or two longer runs a week for the steady state stuff.

In that short 30 min timeframe, yes I would say you're more likely to get greater benefit from a HIIT class, but it's equally possible to blow yourself out on a cardio machine in the same time.  It's easy to throw together sprint sets, progressive overload, pyramids etc on machines, and they can do a hell of a good job! Have you explored the built in programmes much? Or I've got a couple I like to fall back on I can walk you through? 

56 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I feel like judging by the level of effort in this thread the Efests crew is gonna look as ripped as the Love Island lot come June!

Not sure anyone would notice, there are certainly a lot more Love Island viewers around these days... possibly a few wannabe contestants too ;)

5 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

But by the Thursday morning all the hard work will be undone! 

4 hours ago, Homer said:

It was my understanding that really HIIT done properly should not be longer than 30 minutes max plus you should do it twice a week at most - but in terms of building stamina it'll do more than standard cardio. there's my 100% uninformed decision.