Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Nice! Good luck!! How long are you expecting it to the take?

Sub 5 hours, but if it's not icy to make the downhill hard going I'd love to hit 4.5!

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think you are ready for Glastonbury ... Can I hire you as a PT ? :) 

I'm very exclusive :D

Officially broken :lol:

Will get the official time when they send out, but think it was about 4hrs 50 in total (forgot to press stop on the watch as I fell over the line!). Knee is fucked and everything was cramping on the final 5km (including the climb up Jacob's Ladder), and gave up maybe 15 mins stopping to help someone who'd properly buggered her knee until they got med staff sorted and en route.

But all told, I'm happy with that. Hit the target of sub 5 hours even with the stoppage, so I'm not complaining!

This is the GPS count, but time isn't official as strava pauses when you stop and only records moving time.

Screenshot_20200104-194821_Strava.jpg

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

has anyone had any back problems they have been able to cure / massively improve through exercise ?... I struggle from time to time and at the festival the last 2 occasions .... @Quark how did it go ? @philipsteak when were you in Queenstown ? our paths might have crossed 

I got hit by a car a couple of years ago and broke my back in 3 places, I have 2 metal rods and a number of screws holding my back together. 

I find that working on my core is the key to keeping the back pain away, doesn’t need to be much but a strong core is key. 

Just now, dotdash79 said:

I got hit by a car a couple of years ago and broke my back in 3 places, I have 2 metal rods and a number of screws holding my back together. 

I find that working on my core is the key to keeping the back pain away, doesn’t need to be much but a strong core is key. 

yeah i swim frequently but that doesnt seem to cure it ... one slight move in the wrong direction and its gone again and im back to square 1 ... perhaps the rods and screws might be an idea !! .... hope youve mended now !!

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yeah i swim frequently but that doesnt seem to cure it ... one slight move in the wrong direction and its gone again and im back to square 1 ... perhaps the rods and screws might be an idea !! .... hope youve mended now !!

My dad has been recommended using the static bikes for his core. The alternating movements between  the legs stimulate the lower back and core to support it without being high impact (apparently).

The other one is probably light weight training for those movements, but with a back I wouldn't want to recommend any and make it worse. One to ask a pro about

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

All better now thanks, swimming can help, but planks, and other abs work will help. 

deffo try and have a PT session or 2 they will help. 

Just now, Quark said:

My dad has been recommended using the static bikes for his core. The alternating movements between  the legs stimulate the lower back and core to support it without being high impact (apparently).

The other one is probably light weight training for those movements, but with a back I wouldn't want to recommend any and make it worse. One to ask a pro about

yep ive had some excercise advice from a chiropractor and pretty sure the ground sleeping doesnt help at Glastonbury ... Id just wondered if anyone has managed to cure / dramatically reduce the issues through exercises ... it feels like a thankless task at the moment as I end up going back to square 1 just as quick as i think im getting better 

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

All better now thanks, swimming can help, but planks, and other abs work will help. 

deffo try and have a PT session or 2 they will help. 

cheers I will look into it :) ...  I swim an awfull lot ... but on here its relative ... 1km 3x per week over last 3 years ... perhaps its helping although ive no way of actually knowing :) 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Since being back I've met a few people I overlapped with (in some cases for a few years) who I didn't know then, but in every case we had friends in common

theres a fair chance you walked past me selling t-shirts ... was probably selling them for about 3 weeks by the lake .... quite close to a nice ice cream cafe type place :) 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, crazyfool1 said:

has anyone had any back problems they have been able to cure / massively improve through exercise ?... I struggle from time to time and at the festival the last 2 occasions .... @Quark how did it go ? @philipsteak when were you in Queenstown ? our paths might have crossed 

Pilates will help massively. As others have said having a strong core will really help and Pilates focuses a lot on that and realigning your body. Try find somewhere you can have a one on one session first to discuss your problems and they'll recommend the best exercises. I've been going regularly for nearly two years now and my body is definitely thankful for it.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:49 PM, Quark said:

Officially broken :lol:

Will get the official time when they send out, but think it was about 4hrs 50 in total (forgot to press stop on the watch as I fell over the line!). Knee is fucked and everything was cramping on the final 5km (including the climb up Jacob's Ladder), and gave up maybe 15 mins stopping to help someone who'd properly buggered her knee until they got med staff sorted and en route.

But all told, I'm happy with that. Hit the target of sub 5 hours even with the stoppage, so I'm not complaining!

This is the GPS count, but time isn't official as strava pauses when you stop and only records moving time.

Screenshot_20200104-194821_Strava.jpg

bloody hell decent work there sir! size of that pack as well!

I'm ill so no running for me for a few days so I can recover properly :( 

Since I've started working from home I now have the time to go swimming and try and get the day started with 1k (40lengths) in the pool 4 or 5 days a week. I have to say it has increased my general fitness massively. Loads of things I found trying before are now a lot easier. By the time we get to Glastonbury it will have been the best part of 9 months and hopefully I'll be all set for 5 days of marching and dancing on the farm and still not be out of breath!

7 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Since I've started working from home I now have the time to go swimming and try and get the day started with 1k (40lengths) in the pool 4 or 5 days a week. I have to say it has increased my general fitness massively. Loads of things I found trying before are now a lot easier. By the time we get to Glastonbury it will have been the best part of 9 months and hopefully I'll be all set for 5 days of marching and dancing on the farm and still not be out of breath!

That’s pretty well what I do ... and although I haven’t lost that much weight it’s massively helped with toning ... keep it up :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AmazingAbby said:

Pilates will help massively. As others have said having a strong core will really help and Pilates focuses a lot on that and realigning your body. Try find somewhere you can have a one on one session first to discuss your problems and they'll recommend the best exercises. I've been going regularly for nearly two years now and my body is definitely thankful for it.

will look into this too .. thanks :) 

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

will look into this too .. thanks :) 

Pilates are worth looking into. My daughter in NZ was advised by a chiropractor to consider Pilates, it’s really helped her but she did take advice from her doc before starting. For some strange reason every Main Street in NZ seems to have a chiropractor, maybe our NZ members can explain! Could be all that lifting sheep over fences and the raising glasses  of all that craft beer !