Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Stepped on the scales this morning and another 5.8lb's has disappeared. Now lost 80.2lb's this year. Pilates progressing well and have gotten some additional core and upper body exercises to do to help with my strength in those areas. 

Wow phenomenal effort .. have an upvote to round you up :) 

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Wow phenomenal effort .. have an upvote to round you up :) 

Thanks. Got to say Winter and not getting Glastonbury ticket I really worried I'd lose all motivation but I have really knuckled down and am determined that continuing to work hard on it will give me the PMA needed to get the Glastonbury tickets in April as well. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Stepped on the scales this morning and another 5.8lb's has disappeared. Now lost 80.2lb's this year. Pilates progressing well and have gotten some additional core and upper body exercises to do to help with my strength in those areas. 

That's some serious work. Kudos

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Thanks. Got to say Winter and not getting Glastonbury ticket I really worried I'd lose all motivation but I have really knuckled down and am determined that continuing to work hard on it will give me the PMA needed to get the Glastonbury tickets in April as well. 

nice1 again :)

Been struggling with my knee a bit this last week.  Did some sled work last Monday and heavy squats on Tuesday, then pushed too hard and did a long run on the Wednesday so the kneecap tendon decided to flare up!

But it's feeling OK today and the weather looks good tomorrow, so planning on getting out on the bike to test it, then a decent long run on Sunday if all is good.  Realised I've only got 5 weeks until Fan Dance weekend so I'm shitting myself a wee bit!! :lol:

20 hours ago, Quark said:

Been struggling with my knee a bit this last week.  Did some sled work last Monday and heavy squats on Tuesday, then pushed too hard and did a long run on the Wednesday so the kneecap tendon decided to flare up!

But it's feeling OK today and the weather looks good tomorrow, so planning on getting out on the bike to test it, then a decent long run on Sunday if all is good.  Realised I've only got 5 weeks until Fan Dance weekend so I'm shitting myself a wee bit!! :lol:

Fan Dance weekend??

• 2 weeks later...

What a year it's been. Decided to up my exercise from three a week to five a week for Jan and have kept it up all year (I think only three weeks I haven't managed it - two of those were the weeks after Glasto and Shindig funnily enough). 

However, looks like 2019 will be limping to a conclusion as I got an accidental knee in the ribs from a teammate at football on Saturday and it feels no better yet (still managed to carry on playing for the remaining 75 mins).

Anyone got any experience of rib injuries? Don't think it is broken thankfully. I am hopeful that I may be able to still do spin and poss the X-trainer (legs only). Fly to NZ for 3.5 weeks next Thurs and not sure what I will do out there, as my plan was to go jogging. Cycling and swimming maybe?

Edited by Homer

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Anyone got any experience of rib injuries? Don't think it is broken thankfully. I am hopeful that I may be able to still do spin and poss the X-trainer (legs only). Fly to NZ for 3.5 weeks next Thurs and not sure what I will do out there, as my plan was to go jogging. Cycling and swimming maybe?

Sounds painful! I would think swimming or anything low impact would be okay?

39 minutes ago, Homer said:

What a year it's been. Decided to up my exercise from three a week to five a week for Jan and have kept it up all year (I think only three weeks I haven't managed it - two of those were the weeks after Glasto and Shindig funnily enough). 

However, looks like 2019 will be limping to a conclusion as I got an accidental knee in the ribs from a teammate at football on Saturday and it feels no better yet (still managed to carry on playing for the remaining 75 mins).

Unfortunately not much you can do for ribs; even if they're cracked hospitals will normally just send you home and tell yo to rest :(

What you might find is that it's the intercostal muscles between the ribs that have taken the knock.  I took a real bang in the ribs playing rugby a few years ago, and it was bastard painful.  Sneezing would pretty much floor me. Was on shedloads of ibuprofen and paracetamol, then one day it pretty much released and it was fine. 

I'd try the painkillers and just try to avoid aggravating it tbh.  The bugger is that you might find you can't over-exert as you'll be forcing the ribcage to move more as you breathe heavier.  I'd dose up on the ibuprofen and play it by ear, see what hurts and what doesn't.

On a mildly happier note, managed my first run in 2.5 weeks last night.  It's taken that long for the tendon in my kneecap to calm down; still not 100% but managed something light at least. Hopefully test it with a longer one on Wednesday...

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Nz is an awesome place ... Some fantastic outdoor swimming there ... many many beautiful lakes .... holiday or working trip ? any specific plans ? 

19 hours ago, Homer said:

Oooh where you going in NZ? There’s a few eFesters out here :)

20 hours ago, Homer said:

Ribs are somewhat easy to break. I broke my rib surfing in hawaii whilst on my way to NZ about 4 yrs ago. It was maybe a couple months before I could sneeze without an unnatural sound escaping but for the most part rib injuries are pretty durable. I even surfed some more in NZ (and possible worsened/prolonged the injury, but I was in NZ) 

I would take it easy to ensure you dont reinjury it in the next few weeks but it should be fine! 

Cheers for the responses guys! Went to the dr this morning (god bless the NHS) and it went as well as it prob could have. Said I prob hadn't broken them, either bruised or cracked, and the best thing to do was take ibuprofen and I should be sorted in six weeks max.

She also said I would't do any more damage to them if I can find exercise that isn't painful. I managed to sprint for about 10 secs yesterday without pain, so am going to go to the gym tomorrow and suck it and see (x-trainer with legs, bike and ski being the most likely options, I reckon). X

On 12/10/2019 at 1:41 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Nz is an awesome place ... Some fantastic outdoor swimming there ... many many beautiful lakes .... holiday or working trip ? any specific plans ? 

Going on hols - the wife is a Kiwi so off to see the in-laws (Jum and Luz) for the first time in two years. Sadly means I have to spend some more time in Auckland (not exactly an NZ highlight) and Willington (extended family). At least am making it to the south island this time - Christchurch and Queenstown. We are also going to Coromandel for a few days. Any recommendations welcomed! X