Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

First run out since the half marathon at the end of Sep, thought I'd ease back into it. It's late, dark, wind's howling and the rain's coming down.

Stupid brain kicks in. "Bollocks to that. Let's strap on a head torch and piss off up into the South Downs hills in the pitch black". ?

Screenshot_20191113-210940_Strava.jpg

Edited by Quark

Blimey just had a mail at work about some who used to work here, he has now finished

Nick Butter waved a cheery good-bye  in order to embark on a bid to become the first person on the planet to run a marathon in every country in the world.  Well, he’s now just 3 countries and 7 days away from achieving that goal!! 

In case that didn’t quite sink in first time………., a marathon (yep, 26.2miles) in every country in the world (all 196 of ‘em) in less than 2 years.  In the past 660 odd days he’s ran 193 marathons, and racked up a few other quite impressive stats:

• Temperatures varying from -25 (chilly!!) to +59 (toasty!!)

• 400,000 photos to document the journey

• Over 400 flights taking in over 240,000 miles (all 100% carbon offset of course, that’s 45 tonnes of carbon in case you wondered!)

• 9 presidents and over 40 ambassadors have joined the runs

• 1 Dog bite…..(with numerous near misses)

• 2 marathons round a track (that’s over 100 laps each time) and one around a car park (over 300 laps!) to avoid above dogs / other dangers

• And much, much more……..

• Upvote 2

After a year of struggling with my mental health and not feeling like I want to do any kind of physical activity, I'm proud to say I finally signed up to a local gym 3 weeks ago, now I know it's only been 3 weeks but I'm already feeling the benefits. I have more energy, I'm smiling more and weirdly found more time to do the stuff I put off for ages.

Sorry for just letting it all out but thank you for reading I guess, here's to a better mindset in 2020.

Edited by Kalopsia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

After a year of struggling with my mental health and not feeling like I want to do any kind of physical activity, I'm proud to say I finally signed up to a local gym 3 weeks ago, now I know it's only been 3 weeks but I'm already feeling the benefits. I have more energy, I'm smiling more and weirdly found more time to do the stuff I put off for ages.

Sorry for how just letting it all out but thank you for reading I guess, here's to a better mindset in 2020.

its amazing what it can do for the mind :) swimming a few times a week is great for me ... and nothing wrong with letting it out either :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Sorry for just letting it all out but thank you for reading I guess, here's to a better mindset in 2020.

does wonders mate, running has really helped me as well personally - glad to hear its going well keep it up!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

does wonders mate, running has really helped me as well personally - glad to hear its going well keep it up!

Aye, last night's was great for that. I've stopped running in town or the village as running through streets doesn't really do that for me, but put me up in the hills and it's a different kettle of fish.  Love it, proper clears the head.

1 hour ago, Honeybane said:

Does anyone else do park run on Saturdays? I bloody love it. Brilliant concept.

Not often anymore, but it was the thing that got me back into running. They are great, although my local one is 3 laps of the park so it's not exactly full of wonders :D

I tend to go longer distances now, so if I go for PR it needs to be because I'm in the right frame of mind to go for a fast time.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Aye, last night's was great for that. I've stopped running in town or the village as running through streets doesn't really do that for me, but put me up in the hills and it's a different kettle of fish.  Love it, proper clears the head.

Not often anymore, but it was the thing that got me back into running. They are great, although my local one is 3 laps of the park so it's not exactly full of wonders :D

I tend to go longer distances now, so if I go for PR it needs to be because I'm in the right frame of mind to go for a fast time.

Yeah now I've got the hang of it I'm feeling much more adventurous with it, going for random unplanned runs through woodland trails etc (also looking like im going to be doing the "London santa run" with work )  - and a bit of parkrun tourism always feels like a mini adventure. 

anyone have any recommendations on that note? (preferably somewhere not too far to get to from London for 9am start..)

8 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Blimey just had a mail at work about some who used to work here, he has now finished

Nick Butter waved a cheery good-bye  in order to embark on a bid to become the first person on the planet to run a marathon in every country in the world.  Well, he’s now just 3 countries and 7 days away from achieving that goal!! 

In case that didn’t quite sink in first time………., a marathon (yep, 26.2miles) in every country in the world (all 196 of ‘em) in less than 2 years.  In the past 660 odd days he’s ran 193 marathons, and racked up a few other quite impressive stats:

• Temperatures varying from -25 (chilly!!) to +59 (toasty!!)

• 400,000 photos to document the journey

• Over 400 flights taking in over 240,000 miles (all 100% carbon offset of course, that’s 45 tonnes of carbon in case you wondered!)

• 9 presidents and over 40 ambassadors have joined the runs

• 1 Dog bite…..(with numerous near misses)

• 2 marathons round a track (that’s over 100 laps each time) and one around a car park (over 300 laps!) to avoid above dogs / other dangers

• And much, much more…….

Hmmm. Not sure if I'm having that carbon offsetting. It's a very flawed game. I double offset any flight I take through Atmosfair (one of the very few companies that is worth its salt) because I still reckon the bar is set way too low. This seems like a bit of a world destroyer to me. 400 flights? Really? End doesn't justify the means. 

20 hours ago, Superscally said:

Hmmm. Not sure if I'm having that carbon offsetting. It's a very flawed game. I double offset any flight I take through Atmosfair (one of the very few companies that is worth its salt) because I still reckon the bar is set way too low. This seems like a bit of a world destroyer to me. 400 flights? Really? End doesn't justify the means. 

Yea mad isn't it. would be awful if he was raising money for some climate fund. Is for Prostate cancer I believe. But that is a massive amount of flights in that timeframe. No idea what they did to offset as I only got the mail.

Probably leads me onto looking at Carbon offsetting actually to understand it some more and whether that offset is short term to deplete the damage that is being done in the moment

Edited by fred quimby

17 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Yea mad isn't it. would be awful if he was raising money for some climate fund. Is for Prostate cancer I believe. But that is a massive amount of flights in that timeframe. No idea what they did to offset as I only got the mail.

Probably leads me onto looking at Carbon offsetting actually to understand it some more and whether that offset is short term to deplete the damage that is being done in the moment

I've looked into it a fair bit and I reckon anyone who is genuinely concerned (and this includes me) needs to start putting their money where their mouth is and offsetting not just their flights, but their complete existence. The average UK person is responsible for 10 tonnes of carbon a year. According to Atmosfair that's 230 euro a year to compensate. That's less than twenty quid a month. Surely anyone who's on average wage or above should be able to do that? If not, you're living beyond your means anyway... I'd have zero problem with whatever government got in next making that a tax, as long as it was transparently going to a fund over and above what their current spend on reducing and compensating for emissions was, but it would be so much better if everyone who could did it voluntarily. 

Edited by Superscally

44 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good pace :)

Had my final game on Saturday until the Fan's out of the way in Jan; 6 weeks of long runs coming up! Not sure which is worse, the prospect of the runs or the 18 stone monsters running at me on a Saturday :lol:

Don't think of them as monsters but as future lovers. may make being battered a bit easier

Toying with the idea of signing up to a double marathon on 6th June.

It's not officially for running as the first half is during the night but I'm thinking of doing a fast walk and then a jog.

Hoping training for this would make Glasto a breeze, but could backfire if I end up overdoing it!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, there are seven months left to go. I confess that my few weeks working in London not only fucked with my exercise schedule, but it also forced me to drink way way more than I would normally (what's wrong with London folk and their constant post work drinks?). It's time to get back on it. 

I have realised that I need to be working out before work. Great in the summer. Not so great in the depths of the Glaswegian winter. However, today I left the house at 6.30am for a 7am class, and I realised that while, sure, its -2 and pitch black, it would still be roughly the same like an hour later or earlier. Excuses are for losers. 

Sadly the class was bang average... and there aren't many options at that time. Which probably means I need to switch to free weights (and maybe a PT sessions and fortnight).

I also need to get back on the climbing!