Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Trick with winter exercise is to dress for about 15 minutes in.  If you're warm when you start you'll be melting by the time your heart rate's got up!

The stupid thing is, the dark/shit weather makes me think twice about driving to the gym, let alone going running (which doesn't really make any sense).

The rain is a great leveller at football, though, being that I'm much better at rolling around in the mud (holding roll) than I am at constructively playing actual football.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Trick with winter exercise is to dress for about 15 minutes in.  If you're warm when you start you'll be melting by the time your heart rate's got up!

Absolutely agree with this. My mantra is "wear 1 layer less than I think I need" 

Gets difficult in summer.

Yesterday was perfect running weather. About 9 degrees, no wind, a little cooling drizzle, fairly empty roads/tracks. Got round before it got dark too. Think that might last about another week and then it's time to adorn the flashy lights. We run in the dark down the middle of the roads around Worthy. We know where the holes are plus there is plenty of moon light. Only have to carry a torch to switch on if cars are coming or if we go under the trees. 

I think winter is my favourite time of year to run. 

20 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Absolutely agree with this. My mantra is "wear 1 layer less than I think I need" 

Gets difficult in summer.

Yesterday was perfect running weather. About 9 degrees, no wind, a little cooling drizzle, fairly empty roads/tracks. Got round before it got dark too. Think that might last about another week and then it's time to adorn the flashy lights. We run in the dark down the middle of the roads around Worthy. We know where the holes are plus there is plenty of moon light. Only have to carry a torch to switch on if cars are coming or if we go under the trees. 

I think winter is my favourite time of year to run. 

And if it’s anything like us, whilst we are trying to walk in the teeth of a gale with rain coming at us at 45 degrees someone else is lying curled up on the rug in front of the fire fast asleep.  And they call it a dogs life! 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And if it’s anything like us, whilst we are trying to walk in the teeth of a gale with rain coming at us at 45 degrees someone else is lying curled up on the rug in front of the fire fast asleep.  And they call it a dogs life! 

There is no way I'm running with a black dooffas of a Big  dog. He would be lethal and not make it past the kitchen door. 

Completed a very wet & windy Victoria Dock parkrun on Sat morning in 23:03 - got the cable car across from North Greenwich on the way which was truly terrifying in the wind on my own (they shut it down an hour later due to high winds!)

Would recommend though overall, but would be much nicer in decent weather! (found a little video someone made in said nicer weather)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UEF said:

Discovering for the millionth time of my life:

Exercise for fitness/awakeness/feeling good

Reduced calories for weight loss.

Don't confuse the two, and do both. 

Aye, it's very much a vicious circle. I'd also add in the third pillar - sleep!  Good sleep and plenty of it. Makes so much difference to recovery :)

On 11/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, UEF said:

Discovering for the millionth time of my life:

Exercise for fitness/awakeness/feeling good

Reduced calories for weight loss.

Don't confuse the two, and do both. 

This is so true.

Started my running again in September along with reducing the calories and have lost 6Kg so far. The running has been great for fitness and my mental health but I swear by the Myfitnesspal app for logging calories. It's amazing how much those snacks build up when you're honest with the logging. Oh and drinking less beer - this has also helped loads!

Managed to tweak my logistics this week, can now fit rugby training back into the schedule.  Aside from taking Wednesday off to give blood I'm back on track for the weekly routine now, happy days.

Mainly helped by realising I've only got 8 weeks until Fan Dance! ?

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

Mainly helped by realising I've only got 8 weeks until Fan Dance! ?

Good luck!  It looks brutal.

Tough Mudder nearly killed me... I don't think be able to do Fan Dance, regardless of the amount of training!

32 minutes ago, stuie said:

Good luck!  It looks brutal.

Tough Mudder nearly killed me... I don't think be able to do Fan Dance, regardless of the amount of training!

You'd be amazed pal.  End of the day it's all one foot in front of the other.

Just now, grilladelphia said:

Oh jheeeez just checked this out, very intense! if I wasn't so scared of heights I might consider it

Depends entirely on the weather!  Last year wasn't too bad, bit icy in places and a light bit of snow at the top but nothing much to speak of.  If it comes in heavy it'll be an entirely different kettle of fish.

Ok. Here's the thing. If someone gets me and my three pals sorted in the resale, I'll run from Liverpool to Glasto, starting a week before the final note is played on the Pyramid a week later, in aid of Oxfam. With a bit of luck, I'll see you in The Crown Inn in Pilton Tuesday night. Who's up for trying? 

?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Ok. Here's the thing. If someone gets me and my three pals sorted in the resale, I'll run from Liverpool to Glasto, starting a week before the final note is played on the Pyramid a week later, in aid of Oxfam. With a bit of luck, I'll see you in The Crown Inn in Pilton Tuesday night. Who's up for trying? 

?

You had me at hello

• Upvote 1