Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

9 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

The cold and the dark coming in definitely separates the fair weather runners. 

I've got 2 half marathons this winter and a spring marathon to keep me motivated but it's already getting tougher to get out there! 

Just the walk to the gym for my classes is tough!! 

13 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

The cold and the dark coming in definitely separates the fair weather runners. 

I've got 2 half marathons this winter and a spring marathon to keep me motivated but it's already getting tougher to get out there! 

Agreed, I fully cant be bothered at all - by the time I've gotten home I am DONE with the cold weather

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Just the walk to the gym for my classes is tough!! 

1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

Agreed, I fully cant be bothered at all - by the time I've gotten home I am DONE with the cold weather

Hopefully it's just the initial shock and we'll get used to it! 

4 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

Probably a bit late unless you're doing some sort of ultra marathon but worth downloading the Mixcloud app, always prefer a mix when im running as the gaps in between songs seems to slow me down a bit.  Ravearchive have a particularly good profile with a tonne of dnb mixes going back to early 90's.

Great advice, yeah I just used Daft Punk Alive on Spotify and it played without gaps thank god.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:23 AM, gigpusher said:

Is it just me or are there a lot of people dedicated to getting fit for Glastonbury who find ourselves in the resale/ballot/volunteering/competition limbo of not knowing if we'll actually be there?

Keep the fitness training going even if you aren’t successful for tickets. 

That extra stamina will come in useful when you scale the fence and start outrunning the security. 

8 hours ago, Benja100 said:

I’ve got horrendous Pmanter Fascitis and can’t run any more. Even standing up is painful after 10 mins. I’m pretty miserable about it and don’t really know how I’m going to get ready for Glasto

Roll a golf ball under the sole of your foot. As hard as you can bear. I know it sounds bloody stupid (and I had to visit a local golf course to find/nick a stray ball) but it separates the inflamed muscle fibres and sorts it out. Might take a couple of days but you’ll see improvement pretty quickly 

I managed to get a ticket for next year after a 6 hiatus! 

I'm addicted to parkrun tourism and this week will be my 78th overall and 45th different course. I'll be looking at the logistics of parkrun on the Saturday of the festival, anyone else bother with it? 

6 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

I'm addicted to parkrun tourism and this week will be my 78th overall and 45th different course. I'll be looking at the logistics of parkrun on the Saturday of the festival, anyone else bother with it? 

Think I read on here that there was one organised last year at the festival.

One of the regulars (can't remember which) was intending to do it but decided against it when they got there.

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Think I read on here that there was one organised last year at the festival.

One of the regulars (can't remember which) was intending to do it but decided against it when they got there.

Aye that would have been me. Came to my senses :D

It's not a parkrun, but there is an unofficial 5km around the site that gets set up for the Thursday morning. Not sure if it's a GlastoChat thing on FB, but the information normally pops up on here somewhere closer to the time

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:27 AM, The Dawg said:

Have you done the Glastonbury one (well, it's just need door in Street)? I did it when i went to stay with my mates in Glasto a few months back. Nice view as you're jogging around!

I rarely do parkrun in London as I play football on Saturdays, but love the fact I can always go to a parkrun and get some exercise in when I'm away pretty much anywhere. V friendly at the Glasto one too.

eventhomepagepicture.jpg

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Sounds unpleasant! Are you alright?

im good nothing too serious as yet ... just want to stop it before it becomes too serious .. gave her my first name as she introduced herself and asked mine ... within half hour I got a friend request ... which ive rejected and hopefully that might put her off ... she's said that she's been reserving me a lane in the pool before ... and that I must swim 100 lengths .. which I do ......as has been advised i might just have to tell her straight that im not interested ..im just not good with awkward situations like that 

Past the age  where I keep fit by running or making a fool of myself in a gym. Keeping supple for Glastonbury by a bit of hill walking and making sure I walk at least five miles a day. Took a ferry across to an island yesterday and did a ten mile circular walk in the autumn sunshine .  Though the two pints and a pub lunch half way round might have reduced the benefits of the walk! 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

im good nothing too serious as yet ... just want to stop it before it becomes too serious .. gave her my first name as she introduced herself and asked mine ... within half hour I got a friend request ... which ive rejected and hopefully that might put her off ... she's said that she's been reserving me a lane in the pool before ... and that I must swim 100 lengths .. which I do ......as has been advised i might just have to tell her straight that im not interested ..im just not good with awkward situations like that 

Don't feel bad  - no nice/normal person would relish a situation as awkward as/telling someone that! 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Go full Mark and Jez and tell the management she has done a poo in the pool.

Worked for them with no major consequences.

12 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

Locked in Victoria Docks park run for tomorrow morning in the rain.. anyone here done that one before? looks pretty scenic

I've only done Crystal Palace park in London. You ever done this? Always meant to but never gotten around to it:

https://www.theraceorganiser.com/listed-races/queen-elizabeth-olympic-park

The initial shock of winter running is painful but once you acclimatise you'll realise it's actually much more pleasant than running in summer! My favourite training run this year was in the snow! If you're putting the effort in you'll soon warm up.

I'm currently stuck in an annoying limbo whereby I need my shoulder rebuilding and 3 months minimum in a sling but I'm struggling to get the surgery booked in before March / April. I'm so concerned that I won't have recovered sufficiently to be able to carry a rucksack or anything in my left hand by next year. It's not a bad idea to postpone surgery until July if I need to, is it?

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I've only done Crystal Palace park in London. You ever done this? Always meant to but never gotten around to it:

https://www.theraceorganiser.com/listed-races/queen-elizabeth-olympic-park

No I haven't as yet, Hackney Half was around that way- but I'm signed up to do the half marathon in Feb; https://www.runthrough.co.uk/event/queen-elizabeth-olympic-park-half-marathon-2020/

Will see if I can get some pics tomorrow of Victoria Docks