Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

3 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i hear that!

i do not have a sweet tooth at all - could quite happily never eat cake or chocolate ever again.

but crisps and bread - oh lord how i love crisps and bread...

I find it's really good for checking what your average day looks like; Mrs Q did it recently and even though she was eating good stuff the balance of protein / carbs / fats was well out of kilter, so was never going to get the kind of results she was after.

I did Winchester Half Marathon yesterday and got a new PB 2.06 so not the fastest but I knocked 15 minutes off of last year's time and 3 minutes off of my Half Mara PB.

Slowly edging closer to getting sub 2 hours :) 

I am feeling it today though, I stupidly didn't stretch or foam roll last night and I have completely seized up!!

Hope everyone's fitness is still on plan, keeping it up over the cold/dark month's is the hardest but most important part

• Upvote 3

Only been for one other jog in the last month - been doing other cardio and other bits - but ran 5k in 26.08 yesterday, which is about the same pace I was doing a decade ago, so pretty pleased with that!

Reckon I can get under 26 next week. Joined a new football team, which is the best jogging motivation possible. 

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Only been for one other jog in the last month - been doing other cardio and other bits - but ran 5k in 26.08 yesterday, which is about the same pace I was doing a decade ago, so pretty pleased with that!

Reckon I can get under 26 next week. Joined a new football team, which is the best jogging motivation possible. 

Good work! I've been thinking of joining a running club.... I do actually like running when I get out there, but dragging myself out is always hard bit. 

I've been sent to work in London for a few weeks on Brexit related stuff (not a joke) so won't be able to access the gym as the pure gyms are significantly more than the one I have membership to. There are two key issues:

1. I'm gonna have to motivate myself to exercise without the gym. Running is gonna have to fill in these gaps....

2. There are no more opportunities to make bargains with the ticket gods during spinning classes!

27 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Good work! I've been thinking of joining a running club.... I do actually like running when I get out there, but dragging myself out is always hard bit. 

I've been sent to work in London for a few weeks on Brexit related stuff (not a joke) so won't be able to access the gym as the pure gyms are significantly more than the one I have membership to. There are two key issues:

1. I'm gonna have to motivate myself to exercise without the gym. Running is gonna have to fill in these gaps....

2. There are no more opportunities to make bargains with the ticket gods during spinning classes!

Where abouts will you be based roughly? I only ask as there are quite a few opportunities to meet up with people and exercise in public for free in London. The only issue is they may be a little more out of the centre and on weekends. Also, the pure gyms are cheaper in the burbs (I’m zone 3 and it’s only £20 a month).

i used to circuit train for free on Clapham Common with a group I found on here:

https://www.meetup.com/

Edited by Homer

43 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'll pace you to a sub 25!

24 minutes ago, Homer said:

Where abouts will you be based roughly? I only ask as there are quite a few opportunities to meet up with people and exercise in public for free in London. The only issue is they may be a little more out of the centre and on weekends. Also, the pure gyms are cheaper in the burbs (I’m zone 3 and it’s only £20 a month).

i used to circuit train for free on Clapham Common with a group I found on here:

https://www.meetup.com/

In Brixton...that's a good shout actually! Maybe I should check out how far the similar priced pure gyms are. My knowledge of London is quite poor (it covers the central bit near Russell Sq/Coven Garden, Brixton, Victoria Park and Farringdon!

It's surprising what a newborn baby can do for your fitness. Since my little one came along I've dropped about 5 kilograms in four weeks. Not MASSIVE I know, but when you're a meatwagon, it all counts! It means tho my BMI is about 28, technically overweight, but no longer obese! Much more cycling on the horizon too and a few jogs around the park should see me through winter, as well as telling all and sundry not to buy me chocolate/cakes during Christmas :D

22 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Hope it goes well are you targeting a PB?

Kinda, my first half! Always been a sprinter as I play rugby, but as I've been winding that down I've been enjoying increasing distances.

Target is sub 2, stretch target 1.50

Thanks! :)

Edited by Quark

Close but no cigar. 1:55:51 was the time, kept pace with the 1:50 marker until about 10 miles in, but legs gave out. I knew the hills were coming but they just finished me off!

Still, the target was sub 2 and for a first attempt on a hilly course I'm pretty happy with that :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Close but no cigar. 1:55:51 was the time, kept pace with the 1:50 marker until about 10 miles in, but legs gave out. I knew the hills were coming but they just finished me off!

Still, the target was sub 2 and for a first attempt on a hilly course I'm pretty happy with that :D

That's a great time, good work! Put your feet up now.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Brilliant time well done, sounds like you had a similar experience to my first half a few weeks ago!

Just now, Quark said:

Great time, what half marathon did you do?

Just now, Sasperella said:

In Brixton...that's a good shout actually! Maybe I should check out how far the similar priced pure gyms are. My knowledge of London is quite poor (it covers the central bit near Russell Sq/Coven Garden, Brixton, Victoria Park and Farringdon!

Was just looking for comedy tickets and stumbled on this free month long gym pass offer on Time Out:

https://checkout.timeout.com/london/a-one-month-free-trial-of-classpass-58379/

Cheers all. Was the Barns Green Half, village outside Horsham in W Sussex. It's all country lanes, love it.

The frustrating thing for me isn't the time as I cleared my target, but how I finished. When it comes to stuff like this I'm normally a really strong finisher, so to be passed by so many people in the last mile as my pace went off the edge of a cliff was a real kick in the ego :lol:

Managed to pull a sprint out for the last 100m, then promptly went over like Bambi on ice as soon as I crossed the line!! Everything from the waist up was fine, but my legs were 100% on strike!!

I know the reason as well, I just hadn't trained enough at that kind of pace to get away with it on the day. Was just too big a jump from my training pace.

Edited by Quark