Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Just now, deebeedoobee said:

I suppose so but what a pain. I don't follow recipes and don't buy ready made stuff so I'll have to go on guess work I think.

Sounds sensible.  If you're on a really strict diet like I was with my PT then it's worth being precise; if you're just after approximate then go for a sensible option.  It's as much about being aware (mindful if you want to be on point with the zeitgeist) of what you're putting in your system as much as anything else!

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's s decent shout GP

I've managed to lose 4 stone doing that and walking more and it's more sustainable for life. Just being aware of portion sizes of the big stuff is key. My husband has run marathons and I know for one off thing like that you sometimes have to be a lot more precise but for the majority of people less hang up's about food and just being sensible is enough. I've seen far too many people spend far too much money on the whole diet industry when most of it is just common sense of making sure you eat more nutrient dense food and less filler and every once in a while eat what you want because life is for living after all. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I've managed to lose 4 stone doing that and walking more and it's more sustainable for life. Just being aware of portion sizes of the big stuff is key. My husband has run marathons and I know for one off thing like that you sometimes have to be a lot more precise but for the majority of people less hang up's about food and just being sensible is enough. I've seen far too many people spend far too much money on the whole diet industry when most of it is just common sense of making sure you eat more nutrient dense food and less filler and every once in a while eat what you want because life is for living after all. 

Mate of mine called it the "Eat Less Do More" diet :D

I guess I end up being a wee bit more precise because I'm in pretty good nick already, so that earl stage loss you get from just being a bit more aware doesn't work quite so well.  Certainly had to be more precise on the PT diet.

A really useful one is thinking "what am I getting from this?" before eating something. Helps to avoid the empty calorie stuff.

I'm working on a pretty strict structure Mon - Fri while I'm at work (much easier when you have a set routine you can fit food around) and just being sensible at weekends.  Like you said, life's for living!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Mate of mine called it the "Eat Less Do More" diet :D

I guess I end up being a wee bit more precise because I'm in pretty good nick already, so that earl stage loss you get from just being a bit more aware doesn't work quite so well.  Certainly had to be more precise on the PT diet.

A really useful one is thinking "what am I getting from this?" before eating something. Helps to avoid the empty calorie stuff.

I'm working on a pretty strict structure Mon - Fri while I'm at work (much easier when you have a set routine you can fit food around) and just being sensible at weekends.  Like you said, life's for living!

Yes it depends on your goals. If you just want to be a bit fitter for Glastonbury (and life in general) Eat less, do more is perfectly adequate. If you have more stretching goals then managing the macros etc becomes more of an issue. I'm at a stage of life where I just want something that will continue to be sustainable for years to come. I'm not a gym bunny, don't enjoy running but I do like the great outdoors so just making efforts to walk more often is enough for me and I figure it's the kind of stuff that you can hopefully continue doing at any age.

The diet is actually the bigger picture part anyway. As I said my husband is a runner, sticks to no more than 10km these days but has done 2 marathons, many half marathons over the years but whilst he is thinner than me he has discovered this year that he has higher cholesterol than me proving the old adage that you can't outrun a bad diet. 

I need to gte back on it, but I have a barking cough and lost my voice :-(

Put on 8.5lb in 3 weeks away so time to shift that again and hopefully another 1.5-2 stone before the 2020 festival. Found this year so much easier having got fitter and shedding 3 stone, so hoping 2020 (if I'm lucky enough to be there) will be even easier

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

So have joined the Gym and had the first session yesterday.

I have discovered new muscles again this morning.

Are they talking to you yet or are they still in a sulk? :lol:

First week back on the full routine completed last week, and hit a SB for 5km on Monday night.  About another 15 secs off and I'll break PB :)

This weeks going well so far, Monday night I did a 8km run at race pace, Tuesday night I ran 10km doing intervals of full throttle and then a slow recovery and yesterday I did a slow 8km to help my legs recover from intervals. On top I've cycled the 7 miles to work each day and 7 miles home. Tonight I'm going to do a tempo run and then have a rest day tomorrow before my long run on Saturday. All in it's looking like a good week for my half marathon training.

Edited by The Clearest Blue

So I'm going to jump into this early as I will get tickets for next year! Managed to loose a good few kilos a couple of years ago by doing the couch to 5k and then building up to half marathons. Did myself a mischief last summer though and never really got back into the swing of things. Tried a little leg stretch at the weekend and it was awful - right back to square one again. The extra weight gain has also not helped so it's back to basics and will build it up slowly. In an ideal world I'd be 15 kilos lighter but I'd settle for 10 come next June. Good luck all. Will follow this thread for the motivation required.

I lost 5 stone a couple of years ago, since then I’ve put some back on, lost it again, put some back on and then lost it again and now I’ve put a little bit back on and I’ve just started to diet again to get rid of it. Never thought I’d ever be able to do it but once you see the progress it just adds to your motivation to carry on. 

• Upvote 1

I'd lost around 4st up to April from generally watching what I eat and regular gym sessions. Then work, life and holidays and all those other excuses got in the way and I definitely put some back on. How much... I've no idea. I've thrown my scales away as I find them a bit of a mind fuck that wind up taking over my life. 

Past week has been spent going back to basics. Eating plenty of anything other than processed carbs and making sure everything I eat is clean. Plus I went back to spin which is my workout of choice on Tuesday for the first time in 3 months. My arse is paying the price still but I'm booked in for another class tonight

I did find the festival LOADS easier this year... particularly the trek getting in and setting up but I'm still a work in progress and next year I might be that 46 year old with nothing but glitter covering her arse! ?

10 minutes ago, Digi said:

I'd lost around 4st up to April from generally watching what I eat and regular gym sessions. Then work, life and holidays and all those other excuses got in the way and I definitely put some back on. How much... I've no idea. I've thrown my scales away as I find them a bit of a mind fuck that wind up taking over my life. 

Past week has been spent going back to basics. Eating plenty of anything other than processed carbs and making sure everything I eat is clean. Plus I went back to spin which is my workout of choice on Tuesday for the first time in 3 months. My arse is paying the price still but I'm booked in for another class tonight

I did find the festival LOADS easier this year... particularly the trek getting in and setting up but I'm still a work in progress and next year I might be that 46 year old with nothing but glitter covering her arse! ?

Sounds like the you have the right idea. I only weigh once a month so that I don't get obsessed with them but find going by whether your clothes are looser or tighter is probably a better measure. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Sounds like the you have the right idea. I only weigh once a month so that I don't get obsessed with them but find going by whether your clothes are looser or tighter is probably a better measure. 

I get obsessed by the damn things and wind up letting them rule my life which is ridiculous ? I'm reasonably sensible, rational and level headed so I'm now just going to go with the simple science of use more than you consume

1 hour ago, Digi said:

I get obsessed by the damn things and wind up letting them rule my life which is ridiculous ? I'm reasonably sensible, rational and level headed so I'm now just going to go with the simple science of use more than you consume

Yep I'm exactly the same any more than monthly and they start ruling my life and I get seriously demotivated by gains even when the rational part of me will know it's just hormones or water retention. My basic rule now is eat sensibly and the only energy I don't need to conserve is mine. 

One of the reasons I went for a set of body composition scales. They're not exactly professional-grade in terms of accuracy, but so long as you take a reading under the same conditions every time you can at least have a consistent view of the trend. 

Mine's first thing Sunday morning, before I eat or drink anything. Being able to keep track of things like body water %, muscle mass and body fat % alongside weight and just looking in the mirror can really help if just one reading is shit, because at least I can look at it in wider context.

Anyway, rest day today! :D

2 hours ago, Quark said:

One of the reasons I went for a set of body composition scales. They're not exactly professional-grade in terms of accuracy, but so long as you take a reading under the same conditions every time you can at least have a consistent view of the trend. 

Mine's first thing Sunday morning, before I eat or drink anything. Being able to keep track of things like body water %, muscle mass and body fat % alongside weight and just looking in the mirror can really help if just one reading is shit, because at least I can look at it in wider context.

Anyway, rest day today! :D

Trying to walk like I've not shit myself whilst at an important meeting due to spin last night day for me today ? I'd forgotten how quickly your arse loses its toughness! 

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I had a salad and a Graze protein bite all day because I was going to a party in the evening and thought I'd best have some calories in the bank for all the food. Turns out the only vegetarian thing was chips and cake so even with a cone of chips and 3 pieces of cake (they cut it into very small pieces in my defence) Still think it was a calorie deficit day as I did over 20k steps and burned over 3000 calories and there really wasn't that much cake or chips.