Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

2 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Mate, I've been saying since leaving 2017s festival I would lose 2.5 stone for this one...It didn't happen! Well,  i lost 1st 3lb and felt the difference so I'll be getting the rest off.

Good on ya!, I was surprised to learn I actually put weight on after Glastonbury, I'm a bit thin as it is so can't complain but if anything I was expecting to loose a little bit 

1 minute ago, Harry_W01 said:

Good on ya!, I was surprised to learn I actually put weight on after Glastonbury, I'm a bit thin as it is so can't complain but if anything I was expecting to loose a little bit 

I've come home the same, but I did have 2 weeks in Spain prior to glasto so I probably gained in Spain and lost at the festival. I'M not going to worry too much until after festival season then I can really knuckle down and get the rest off.

10 hours ago, MrHew said:

Thanks for the MFP recommendations, juat downloaded it. Hopefully that will help keep me away from the biscuits and cake in the office.

1st run of my half marathon training this morning. Just 2 miles but did it before breakfast which was a mistake. Any tips on a decent pre run small breakfast/snack?

MFP is good, I just found that I spend so much time online already for work that having something else to fill in was doing my nut!  But yeah, it is good when you actually look at the balance and quantity of what you've eaten! 

That early in the morning, personally I find it depends on how much effort I'm putting into the exercise. So I'd do it differently for a 3 mile jog than I would for interval sprints or pushing for a fast time, as one's more likely to make me throw up! :lol:

Key for me is something quick release with some calories but not too much bulk, as you really don't want it fighting its way back up!  I'd try half a banana and see how you go, nice and easy to get down and a pretty quick release.  Bit of water with it, but not too much as you don't want it sloshing around too much.  Again it's preference, but I'd rather start small and have a few sessions where I don't feel 100% than go big and chuck it all back up again!

The other one I find key is hydration, but the night before.  You can't chuck a couple of pints down first thing without just filling up like a water bomb, so aim to be hydrated when you go to bed.  Keep on top of water during the day, peppermint of chamomile tea in the evening. That sort of thing.  And a small glass of water (300ml or so) very first thing. Hydration makes a massive difference to performance.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Having moved my life from the South to the North, homing in on a decent work / life balance, getting used to new routines including an actual commute to work these days (on a train and everything!), today I try to squeeze the gym back in. As my days are much longer now, it's gonna have to be at lunch time. Thankfully the gym is just around the corner, so gonna start on some light running today for half an hour and see how I get on timing-wise, i.e. how long it takes me to get there, change, work out, change back, and get back to work. No shower time which isn't ideal but needs must, plus probably won't be working out long enough to warrant it anyways (or at least that's what I'm telling myself!). Got to figure out the best time to eat. Let's see how it goes! 

I need to get back onto MFP, I think I'm keeping track in my head but the scale is not moving so there must be some hidden calories I'm consuming here and there. 

As well as running & boxing I'm going to move from my hot yoga classes to pilates as it's more focused on core strength (my core is my weakest area)

I'm quite self conscious about the way I look so I'd just like to be able to wear shorts, feel comfortable and generally be fit and strong enough that I don't struggle with 5 fairly physical days. 

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd have to get rid of my wingeing six yr old to get any decent exercise on that walk.

I'm planning to move somewhere leafier before the next festival to get walking time in.

Get a dog they virtually guarantee you get your 10k steps at least and you teach the 6 year old that they have to walk the dog thus eliminating the whinging. 

26 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I need to get back onto MFP, I think I'm keeping track in my head but the scale is not moving so there must be some hidden calories I'm consuming here and there. 

As well as running & boxing I'm going to move from my hot yoga classes to pilates as it's more focused on core strength (my core is my weakest area)

I'm quite self conscious about the way I look so I'd just like to be able to wear shorts, feel comfortable and generally be fit and strong enough that I don't struggle with 5 fairly physical days. 

I'm on the no diet diet and have been all year and it's working very well for me. I basically just limit snacks and carbs like bread, rice and pasta. Nobody has ever been overweight because they ate too many tomatoes or courgettes so I can't be bothered wasting my time counting stuff like that. If I have a cooked breakfast I either have a slice of toast no butter or a potato waffle and bulk it out with mushrooms in some frylight, tomatoes or spinach. Just basic portion control and moving more has been really effective for me and I'm not having to count every little thing I eat. I appreciate when I get closer to the end I might have to be more careful but I figure make the small changes first. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

MFP is good, I just found that I spend so much time online already for work that having something else to fill in was doing my nut!  But yeah, it is good when you actually look at the balance and quantity of what you've eaten! 

That early in the morning, personally I find it depends on how much effort I'm putting into the exercise. So I'd do it differently for a 3 mile jog than I would for interval sprints or pushing for a fast time, as one's more likely to make me throw up! :lol:

Key for me is something quick release with some calories but not too much bulk, as you really don't want it fighting its way back up!  I'd try half a banana and see how you go, nice and easy to get down and a pretty quick release.  Bit of water with it, but not too much as you don't want it sloshing around too much.  Again it's preference, but I'd rather start small and have a few sessions where I don't feel 100% than go big and chuck it all back up again!

The other one I find key is hydration, but the night before.  You can't chuck a couple of pints down first thing without just filling up like a water bomb, so aim to be hydrated when you go to bed.  Keep on top of water during the day, peppermint of chamomile tea in the evening. That sort of thing.  And a small glass of water (300ml or so) very first thing. Hydration makes a massive difference to performance.

Good luck!

That's awesome advice, thanks so much 

29 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm on the no diet diet and have been all year and it's working very well for me. I basically just limit snacks and carbs like bread, rice and pasta. Nobody has ever been overweight because they ate too many tomatoes or courgettes so I can't be bothered wasting my time counting stuff like that. If I have a cooked breakfast I either have a slice of toast no butter or a potato waffle and bulk it out with mushrooms in some frylight, tomatoes or spinach. Just basic portion control and moving more has been really effective for me and I'm not having to count every little thing I eat. I appreciate when I get closer to the end I might have to be more careful but I figure make the small changes first. 

Yeah that's a good shout on being mindful of bread etc, I've lost 3 stone and the weight loss has majorly slowed down, I'm also vegan (have been for 2 years) and it does mean sometimes I eat way too many carbs! 

This last year I have been in a really bad place mentally which in turn has led me to not really exercise and piled on the weight,

I actually lost during Glastonbury and since then I have managed to motivate myself to start swimming again so fingers crossed I get tickets and keep going.

It's so perfectly self-destructive that the things that can actively improve general wellbeing, both physical and mental, are the things that tend to go out of the window first when we're feeling below par.

Fuck you brain, just....fuck you

Yep vicious cycle, feel down, comfort eat, feel worse, don't fancy exercise, ultimately feel even worse! 

Best thing is to take it easy on yourself, there is no point being too hard if you don't feel up for working out. Just pick yourself back up the next day, missing the occasional work out or eat the odd doughnut is not going to make you unhealthy... it really is about finding the right balance 

10 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

This last year I have been in a really bad place mentally which in turn has led me to not really exercise and piled on the weight,

I actually lost during Glastonbury and since then I have managed to motivate myself to start swimming again so fingers crossed I get tickets and keep going.

Yes a shit work situation made me gain lots of weight. I find getting control of the diet makes me want to move more and as I say small changes can be good. 

Met up with one of my friends yesterday for lunch to give her all the Glastonbury booty I'd gotten her as she missed her first festival in a decade. I walked there and back (about 8 miles in total) as well as 2 dog walks so ended up doing nearly 32k steps. That should hopefully have paid for the salted caramel cheesecake I had!! 

• Upvote 1

Ugh. Bitten the bullet and reactivated my MFP account. Bane of my pissing life that thing! My problem is that with something like that my basic nature takes over and entries have to be 100% accurate to the gram and the food type.  Need to get past that and just go for "close enough"!

Problem with MFP for me was that when GDPR came about, there was a warning along the lines of "your data will be sent to the US and shared" which I wasn't particularly comfortable with.

Slowly getting back on the horse,  did a weights session at the gym on Saturday and went for a decent swim yesterday - hoping to get back to the pre-fest routine of 2 swims and 2 weights sessions a week by the end of the month. 

8 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Problem with MFP for me was that when GDPR came about, there was a warning along the lines of "your data will be sent to the US and shared" which I wasn't particularly comfortable with.

Yeah, that was my gripe with it as I try to be fairly protective of my data.  I've just kinda made peace with some of it being out there, but absolutely get why others have chosen not to.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Ugh. Bitten the bullet and reactivated my MFP account. Bane of my pissing life that thing! My problem is that with something like that my basic nature takes over and entries have to be 100% accurate to the gram and the food type.  Need to get past that and just go for "close enough"!

How do you get round the multiple entries for the same food. What I mean is if you search for an item, say veg soup homemade, several options come up. I want to select the lowest calorie option but know that i'm probably cheating.  But then maybe by choosing the higher version im actually denying myself calories for the day. Oh what to do!! How can you be accurate?

23 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

How do you get round the multiple entries for the same food. What I mean is if you search for an item, say veg soup homemade, several options come up. I want to select the lowest calorie option but know that i'm probably cheating.  But then maybe by choosing the higher version im actually denying myself calories for the day. Oh what to do!! How can you be accurate?

Yeah, that can be a bit of a pain in the arse.  If you use the phone app instead of the website then you can use the barcode scanner function, which is really helpful for standard packaged stuff.  If it's homemade stuff you can create your own recipes and just add it as a single entry next time you do it, so it saves the effort of doing it every time.  You can do the same thing with meal entries.

If you're after a reasonable estimate than going down to the gram and calories on every single entry, creating a recipe that's pretty much what you have is close enough to allow for a few variations here and there.

40 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

If it's homemade and you can be bothered you can actually create your own recipes. I did use MFP entirely correctly for a while but I find it to be too much effort for someone who mostly cooks from scratch a lot and I said earlier in the thread I didn't end up overweight because of tomatoes or courgette. I now just weigh the big stuff bread, rice, pasta, porridge. Reduce the amount of cheese and snacks and  fill my face with however many vegetables I want. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, that can be a bit of a pain in the arse.  If you use the phone app instead of the website then you can use the barcode scanner function, which is really helpful for standard packaged stuff.  If it's homemade stuff you can create your own recipes and just add it as a single entry next time you do it, so it saves the effort of doing it every time.  You can do the same thing with meal entries.

If you're after a reasonable estimate than going down to the gram and calories on every single entry, creating a recipe that's pretty much what you have is close enough to allow for a few variations here and there.

I suppose so but what a pain. I don't follow recipes and don't buy ready made stuff so I'll have to go on guess work I think.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

If it's homemade and you can be bothered you can actually create your own recipes. I did use MFP entirely correctly for a while but I find it to be too much effort for someone who mostly cooks from scratch a lot and I said earlier in the thread I didn't end up overweight because of tomatoes or courgette. I now just weigh the big stuff bread, rice, pasta, porridge. Reduce the amount of cheese and snacks and  fill my face with however many vegetables I want. 

Yep pretty much what I do. Life's too short to measure a courgette