Campervans

gmb1992

I'm thinking of hiring a campervan for Glasto next year. 

What sort of costs do people usually pay, I've found one for £1000 for the week and I can pay a £200 depsoit which can be refunded should the terrible happen (no tickets!! ) 

Does this seem about right? 

11 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

What sort of costs do people usually pay, I've found one for £1000 for the week and I can pay a £200 depsoit which can be refunded should the terrible happen (no tickets!! ) 

I've known some people buy caravans or trailer tents and then sell them on afterwards. That's an option if you can find them.

1200 for a 4 berth with a grand deposit for a week, let us pick it up much earlier than originally agreed and have had no quibbles with them since. Have heard some nightmare stories about getting deposits back. Not for me but we’ll definitely do it again and I’ll be happy in me fresh & black tent behind it. 

I find Campervans are like tents - if it states 6-berth then it's fit for 4 adults, 4-berth = 2 Adults. I have a T2 and it's done it's fourth Glasto this year, but it's a money pit and doesn't have a toilet.

The first time I hired a CV it was from Motorholme - never again, it was a nightmare to get the deposit back and they charged if £35 for losing one of the clips for the awning (it cost £8 inc postage from the manufacturer). Was £1600 for a 6-berth for the week + £400 deposit.

Plenty of rentals about so I'd wait until you have a ticket & CV pitch before booking one.

Don't forget if it's > 8M it's supposed to be Bath & West - although there were some obviously longer than 8M in East Quiet this year. We arrived Wed afternoon and were at the back of E16 = 20 minute walk to PG-C as the closer fields were already full..

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

it depends what you mean by "campervan". You can get them from about £600.

Just now, The Nal said:

I actually did that the next year - forgot I did one last CV year - and got a better spec but its not as good or as cheap as Michaels Mead!

I’d much rather camp general too but family needs dictate. Still tent it next to the thing though. 

We hired a 4 birth which had 2 double beds, one of which lowered from the ceiling. It was a very modern 2018 model, shower, kitchen, TV’s (never used those). which cost us £1100 Tuesday to Monday, Stayed in camper van west and I’d happily go back there next year if we get lucky with tickets. 

15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've read a couple of newspaper reports about this site (see below), which has been described as the Airbnb for camper vans;

https://www.camptoo.co.uk/

I'm just about to get a gas certificate for my own camper van, so that I can advertise it on that site myself. 

That site looks good, I don't want to rush into it so maybe I'll wait until after Tday. 

I stayed in a converted Sprinter for a couple of weeks in NZ which would be perfect size and had all the amenities you'd want for 2 people. 

Are camper van passes as hard to get as general tickets?

Edited by gmb1992

First time in a motorhome this year and there's no going back to tents!
Whilst a tent may have been fine this year, the risk of a mud-fest just puts me off (I'm 50 next year - I've done plenty of tent-time over the years!).

Having a really comfy bed and a shower, and space to move about is the clincher.

I used www.camplify.co.uk - very good - got an absolute steal with the motorhome at £560 for the week from a very lovely lady who has offered us great rates next time we go to her. If the ticket gods look kindly upon me I'll be renting for 2 weeks next summer, doing a tour of the surrounding areas post-festival.

Edited by Gilb
updated link

I'm on my second trailer tent. I find it a great alternative to a tent, easier to tow than a caravan and cheaper than a motorhome. Find ti really comfortable, the awning gives you standing height, somewhere to sit for breakfast etc, not got a toilet as such, but the lenor bottle does the job.

No shower either, but the room in the awning means you can get a proper wash (bowl or water and, in the past, kids paddling pool to stand in whilst washing, to keep floor inside awning dry.

My trailer is almost identical to this pic, love the retro brown upholstery.

delta_brown_montage.jpg

I've thought about staying in the campervan fields but renting a van for a minimum of £1000 realistically and then having a 20 min walk potentially to the gate seems like a lot of money and hassle. I have considered buying a van and renting it out throughout the summer which in theory should cover the cost of buying it within a few years and just using it for glastonbury. They seem to hold their value so if I decided to sell it after a few years should even make a profit.

1 minute ago, Fred Zepplin said:

... and then having a 20 min walk potentially to the gate seems like a lot of money and hassle. 

I took an extra small tent in and pitched it in the field next to the Acoustic stage. This meant we could leave extra clothing (no valuables though!) and a bit of booze etc inside for whenever we needed it rather than trudging back to the CV fields. Shared it with our neighbours too.
Worked a treat!

7 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I've thought about staying in the campervan fields but renting a van for a minimum of £1000 realistically and then having a 20 min walk potentially to the gate seems like a lot of money and hassle. I have considered buying a van and renting it out throughout the summer which in theory should cover the cost of buying it within a few years and just using it for glastonbury. They seem to hold their value so if I decided to sell it after a few years should even make a profit.

I bought a cv for less than £3k in 2011, and i reckon it's about paid that back in money not spent at the bar* or on food** at festivals.

* breakfast and coffee each morning from the campervan.
** around £400 saved at the bars at glasto this year by me+2.

Not only that, the van is worth more too. :) 

12 minutes ago, Gilb said:

I took an extra small tent in and pitched it in the field next to the Acoustic stage. This meant we could leave extra clothing (no valuables though!) and a bit of booze etc inside for whenever we needed it rather than trudging back to the CV fields. Shared it with our neighbours too.
Worked a treat!

Why didn't you use the lock ups?  They will take anything you want them to and it's not wasting camping space.

Edited by stuie