Credit card fraud

BlueDaze

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

and / or would or potentially would use someones contactless cards to but a couple of drinks/rounds :mellow:

After getting in without buying a ticket.

All round, he's just a nice guy.

The festival is lucky to have him.

5 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I was subject to a small scale credit card fraud end of last week....

no reason to believe it was any of the traders / bars that I ‘tapped’ on far too numerous occasions to count.. I just wondered if anyone else has had similar experience..??

I work in the industry.

Do you know what type of transaction was processed as fraud? For example online, swiped etc.

You cant counterfeit a chip so if you've overtapped then it would be difficult to prove it was fraud if you still have your card.

Not related to Glastonbury but I left my tablet in the disabled toilet at Manchester airport while I was on my way to see Depeche Mode in Berlin.

The person who found it could have rinsed me senseless as all my accounts were open on it, ebay, amazon, bank account.

The person who found it went into my facebook messenger, messaged my mum through my account, said they had found my tablet and handed it in at lost & found.

There are still some nice people in the world.

23 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

On recycling at Silver Hayes, one of the team found an iphone & my daughter a contactless debit card. Both handed in. Things like this are what makes Glastonbury different & one year it could be you

could you not have recycled silver hayes too ? ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stretlow said:

I work in the industry.

Do you know what type of transaction was processed as fraud? For example online, swiped etc.

You cant counterfeit a chip so if you've overtapped then it would be difficult to prove it was fraud if you still have your card.

Online. Gambling sites and mobile provider top-ups...

not a great deal of money but just wondered as Glastonbury was the place I tapped outside of usual haunts...

It has to be said, everywhere I tapped i got an enjoyable exchange for my tapping... (with the exception of The Avalon Inn... £6 a pint and £4 a half..!! - second round I bought my wife a pint of cider and necked half of it at the bar ?)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Online. Gambling sites and mobile provider top-ups...

not a great deal of money but just wondered as Glastonbury was the place I tapped outside of usual haunts...

It won't be linked to your contactless payments at Glastonbury.

The compromise is somewhere else.

Could be million and one places 

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

Not related to Glastonbury but I left my tablet in the disabled toilet at Manchester airport while I was on my way to see Depeche Mode in Berlin.

The person who found it could have rinsed me senseless as all my accounts were open on it, ebay, amazon, bank account.

The person who found it went into my facebook messenger, messaged my mum through my account, said they had found my tablet and handed it in at lost & found.

There are still some nice people in the world.

Could've loaded up efests and posted "New Order are a load of old cock" or something, lucky escape

On 7/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, jimbarkanoodle said:

Did you loose the card?

The reason I ask is because I think its fair game if you find a contactless card, before handing it in,  getting a few rounds of beers with the found card, as a reward to yourself for finding it and being honest enough to hand it in. I know if I lost my card  and it was handed in, I wouldn't mind if some one had done that, as it would be much more hassle getting a new card etc.

Isn't it possible to claim all this back with your bank anyway? Mate of mine used to work for RBS and he said that if somebody had ever been a victim of minor contactless fraud the bank would usually just pay out to a reasonable amount with minimal questions. Apparently the bank will do a few small checks (IE - check that the transactions weren't made in a shop / bar where you have regular transaction history) and they usually let you make one claim every twelve months before suspicion arises.

Been meaning to give it a go myself one day, free day on the ale courtesy of Natwest

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Could've loaded up efests and posted "New Order are a load of old cock" or something, lucky escape

Might actually be me saying that next week. They did 5 Joy Division covers in Ireland the other night. Thats too many imo, I want to hear New Order tunes. I accept they may play 2 or 3 but 5 is a bit of a joke really, especially when there is a near 40 years worth of New Order tunes to pick from.

Will see how I feel about it after Bluedot.

Someone used my card details last night to book something with KLM, flights to somewhere I assume for 390 quid. 

I'm more inclined to think it was the staff in the hotel I stayed in in London, than anyone at the festival tho. It just seemed a bit dodgy! 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, stuie said:

That's not really the case like it was before... we saw a guy taking card payment for balloons at Pangea on the Sunday!

didn't realise the festival offered ballon flights ... what was the queue like ? :) and surely it was too windy 

Edited by crazyfool1

35 minutes ago, GWR said:

Someone used my card details last night to book something with KLM, flights to somewhere I assume for 390 quid. 

I'm more inclined to think it was the staff in the hotel I stayed in in London, than anyone at the festival tho. It just seemed a bit dodgy! 

Hello GWR,

Just wondering how you found this out / what's being done about it?

Checked my online balance today as I was totting the all in cost of Glastonbury, happened by chance to see the transaction. Phoned the card company and they were able to cancel as the transaction was still 'pending'. Card cancelled etc. Might have been harder to resolve if I hadn't noticed and the transaction hadve went through. 

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello GWR,

Just wondering how you found this out / what's being done about it?

Just now, GWR said:

Checked my online balance today as I was totting the all in cost of Glastonbury, happened by chance to see the transaction. Phoned the card company and they were able to cancel as the transaction was still 'pending'. Card cancelled etc. Might have been harder to resolve if I hadn't noticed and the transaction hadve went through. 

Thanks for the response GWR. I guess that you were lucky that you checked when you did. The thing is here that the bank could possibly have let the transaction go through, then reimbursed you immediately, then contacted the police and KLM and had the perpetrator picked up by the police when they went to board. I guess there's an awful lot of variables involved for that scenario to go wrong. However, you'd think that they'd still try. 

Was thinking that they couldve booked the flight for literally an hour before take off, if they were in the airport, jumped on, then by the time anyone noticed they're already at their destination. 

5 minutes ago, GWR said:

Was thinking that they couldve booked the flight for literally an hour before take off, if they were in the airport, jumped on, then by the time anyone noticed they're already at their destination. 

Yeah, I'll admit that I haven't gone to town scrutinising all the possibilities on this one. That said, there would be a record of their passport number against the flight, and possibly against a return flight - if there was one.

• 7 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

If I found a wallet / purse with money and cards in it, then I'd hand it in without taking money from it. That's a given. However, if I found a wallet / purse with money, cards, and drugs in it, then I would probably remove the drugs. However, this wouldn't be because I'd want the drugs for myself (even though I do tend to find them yummy), but more to ensure that the owner of the wallet / purse didn't get in to shit about it.

I was at Glastonbury one year at one of the lock ups, and two young women handed a wallet in which was absolutely jammed with cash, and I mean seriously jammed. I really admired them for that. Maybe they were loaded themselves, maybe they weren't, but they did the decent thing anyway.

yes that makes sense. 

One Year in the WBC Crew Bar some idiot left their bag and there was a load of drugs sorted into small plastic bags { which was clearly meant to sell }

Only problem was ' that others did spot my Team picking up the bag ' so that tied our hands as it creates all sorts of problems.

If I was on my own - I would have had a stern word with them as not only were they breaking the law ' they could affect all their team ' because if the WBC thought that there was any possibility that someone was selling behind a bar it would mean the whole team would get barred.

Sure their intention may have not involved where they were working ' but just bringing in that bag to where they work ' would be enough to get them kicked out.

My Team handed the bag to a Manager and it was searched by a Senior Manager and at that point I was asked to witness it - as soon as we saw the thousands of pounds of drugs ' We knew we were stuffed '

It was decided to pass it to the Council so not sure what happened after that as it did get a bit hectic that night.

what a fucking idiot for leaving their bag { and driving licence } so they could not claim it was not their bag.

It was someone who was new so perhaps they did not think they were doing anything wrong but I am sure they now know they were bloody daft.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, Giraffe Man said:

On recycling at Silver Hayes, one of the team found an iphone & my daughter a contactless debit card. Both handed in. Things like this are what makes Glastonbury different & one year it could be you

So a story of mine from this year...

When I got to the wristband part of entry I leaned forward to put my bags on the floor and my money fell out of my bumbag (which I had around my neck at the time). Picked it up, got into the festival and started to head towards Oxlyers. We stopped at the entrance to Silver Hayes for a quick break and I noticed my phone was gone. Major panic.

Left my bags with my friends and ran to the information booth by Gate A, nothing. Actually got one of the stewards to walk me back through ticketing/wrist-banding as I assumed it had fallen out at the same time as my money and I hadn’t noticed. Nothing.

Used my girlfriends phone to do “Find my iPhone” and it was.... in Silver Hayes. Walked back to my group and set the alarm off on my phone.

It was inside one of my wellies in a bag 🤦🏻‍♂️ When my money fell out of my bum bag so did my phone... into my bloody welly. 

Unsurprisingly, my friends haven’t let me forget that one :lol: 

• Upvote 2