Credit card fraud

BlueDaze

I was subject to a small scale credit card fraud end of last week....

no reason to believe it was any of the traders / bars that I ‘tapped’ on far too numerous occasions to count.. I just wondered if anyone else has had similar experience..??

I think I'm ok - I had a bit of an argument with the Gangsta Kebab people - I paid contactless for me and my mate, all good according to them, then my mate collected his food and was told my payment didn't go through and he needed to pay.

Have checked and so far I don't think we were had - took photos just in case.

Did you loose the card?

The reason I ask is because I think its fair game if you find a contactless card, before handing it in,  getting a few rounds of beers with the found card, as a reward to yourself for finding it and being honest enough to hand it in. I know if I lost my card  and it was handed in, I wouldn't mind if some one had done that, as it would be much more hassle getting a new card etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 33

2 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Did you loose the card?

The reason I ask is because I think its fair game if you find a contactless card, before handing it in,  getting a few rounds of beers with the found card, as a reward to yourself for finding it and being honest enough to hand it in. I know if I lost my card  and it was handed in, I wouldn't mind if some one had done that, as it would be much more hassle getting a new card etc.

Brilliantly trolling sir.... theft is theft ! If you found a wallet would you help yourself to a couple of twenties before you handed it in ? Excellent , not even bothering downvoting you as thats obviously what you're aiming for

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Did you loose the card?

No way. You would have no idea how precious those few pounds might be to the owner of the card. 

Besides, it's theft.

4 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Brilliantly trolling sir.... theft is theft ! If you found a wallet would you help yourself to a couple of twenties before you handed it in ? Excellent , not even bothering downvoting you as thats obviously what you're aiming for

Actually at Glade festival a long time ago, I found a wallet thick with cash. I mean there was hundreds possibly thousands in there. At the time I was a skint student who couldn't even afford a ticket to the festival (I broke in) let alone anything from the bar. I was tripping on acid so rather than keep the money, I had a pang of good conscience and handed in it to an steward, although I did take £20 finders fee, which I thought was perfectly fair, given the amount of money in the wallet, and the fact it was probably belonging to a drug dealer anyway. No doubt the steward probably kept the money instead, but at least it was off my conscience and I had £20 for a round or two at the bar.

• Downvote 5

I saw a girl drop a fiver and chased after her to give it back.... not sure I could try drinking my way through someone else’s card tbh.. ?

but no... I didn’t lose my card...

i appreciate this short of shit happens all the time but coincidence that it happened to me a week after swiping aplenty on the farm...

57 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are stories of people in London getting on the tube with portable contactless scanner and just scanning a fiver or so off or people just by brushing up against them.

Wouldn't be difficult to do in a busy crowd.

This is why you should use Apple Pay and not carry around contactless cards.

This way, contactless payments can only happen with my face ID.

57 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Did you loose the card?

Absolute sad little scrutter.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are stories of people in London getting on the tube with portable contactless scanner and just scanning a fiver or so off or people just by brushing up against them.

Wouldn't be difficult to do in a busy crowd.

thats never been proven to happen as far as I can tell. to get a card reader you need a business account generally, which is hard to set up anonymously.

3 minutes ago, paulshane said:

thats never been proven to happen as far as I can tell. to get a card reader you need a business account generally, which is hard to set up anonymously.

That's not really the case like it was before... we saw a guy taking card payment for balloons at Pangea on the Sunday!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I think I'm ok - I had a bit of an argument with the Gangsta Kebab people - I paid contactless for me and my mate, all good according to them, then my mate collected his food and was told my payment didn't go through and he needed to pay.

Have checked and so far I don't think we were had - took photos just in case.

Those lot were shocking. The food was terrible, and the staff were so rude!

I haven't noticed any dodgy transactions on my card either, though.

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh brilliantly downvoted @jimbarkanoodle, when I had not downvoted you ..... wait for this response to be downvoted too by him :-)

Folks - have school holidays started early ?

• Upvote 4

Just now, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh brilliantly downvoted @jimbarkanoodle, when I had not downvoted you ..... wait for this response to be downvoted too by him :-)

Folks - have school holidays started early ?

I've repaired that for you.

Now watch him downvote me! 

Kids, eh?

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Someone handed my wallet in before, but helped themselves to the 60 quid in it for the hassle, twats (unless of course the person that handed it in found it after someone else took the cash and tossed it).

calm down funkyfairy, don't turn into a grumpyfairy because some random person didn't like your comment on the internet, there are people you can talk to at health clinics that can help you with that.

I wouldn't be doing the predictable, rather cloying 'school holidays' response people like to do to my comments on here because they disagree with it, considering your immature username.

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

calm down funkyfairy, don't turn into a grumpyfairy because some random person didn't like your comment on the internet, there are people you can talk to at health clinics that can help you with that.

I wouldn't be doing the predictable, rather cloying 'school holidays' response people like to do to my comments on here because they disagree with it, considering your immature username.

perfectly calm sir, just can't abide or stand by watching someone try to justify thieving as morally acceptable  as a 'reward' for handing something in . Makes no sense to me why someone could or would try to justify such actions and believe in their heart that its an OK thing to do.

• Upvote 1

Hardly thieving when actually handing the wallet in with 95% of the money still there. There would be 2 different scenarios when finding the wallet, the 1st is what I done that time described above. The 2nd is that all the money gets kept and the wallet chucked in the bush, along with all the cards (unless they had a contactless one). I expect the owner of the wallet would be far happier with the former, rather than the latter, scenario. So its makes no sense to me why you have a bee in your bonnet about those actions.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

perfectly calm sir, just can't abide or stand by watching someone try to justify thieving as morally acceptable  as a 'reward' for handing something in . Makes no sense to me why someone could or would try to justify such actions and believe in their heart that its an OK thing to do.

Don't feed the troll.

If I found a wallet / purse with money and cards in it, then I'd hand it in without taking money from it. That's a given. However, if I found a wallet / purse with money, cards, and drugs in it, then I would probably remove the drugs. However, this wouldn't be because I'd want the drugs for myself (even though I do tend to find them yummy), but more to ensure that the owner of the wallet / purse didn't get in to shit about it.

I was at Glastonbury one year at one of the lock ups, and two young women handed a wallet in which was absolutely jammed with cash, and I mean seriously jammed. I really admired them for that. Maybe they were loaded themselves, maybe they weren't, but they did the decent thing anyway.

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I was at Glastonbury one year at one of the lock ups, and two young women handed a wallet in which was absolutely jammed with cash, and I mean seriously jammed. I really admired them for that. Maybe they were loaded themselves, maybe they weren't, but they did the decent thing anyway.

Same thing that I done (okay, minus £20), yet people are accusing me of being a thief.

3 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Same thing that I done (okay, minus £20), yet people are accusing me of being a thief.

Yeah, not the same because you stole £20