Should it go for a week?

majormajormajor

7 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In a perfect world it would run for two separate weekends so more people could go but it just wouldn’t work for so many practical reasons.

Ugh. Just the idea that a once-in-a-lifetime Glastonbury moment is just a  repeat of what happened 7 days ago...

Coachella do it and that has a reputation of being a festival for Instagram models and 'influencers'. Once is prefect.

And btw I think the length of the festival is perfect.

Glastonbury have played into the people arriving earlier thing though by actually programming on the Thursday (and even Wednesday). We had more stuff we wanted to see on Thursday than Saturday this year! Tuesday or Monday opening could work if it was really “nothing is on” just like Wednesday and Thursday used to be,  but even opening theatre and circus would have people getting there all early again.

6 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Unless there was a major ticket price hike, the main stages being open for an extra day would surely just mean everything being spread more thinly, leading to an increase in lame Tom Odell-type bookings. Not sure I’d be up for that even if it were possible.

Bang up for the theatre fields etc running full throttle on Thursday, though. Clearly the Thursdays are now too busy in terms of punters for the amount of stuff there is to ‘do’, so either they need to find a way to spread the crowds out or (less preferably) take the drastic step of separating tickets into Wednesday and Thursday arrivals like they already do with coach tickets.

I think the responsibility lies with us punters - Thursday was rammed in the market areas, greenpeace etc, but that just meant there was more space elsewhere - Tootard were on in the pussy parlure and there was lots of space (and they were good! ) - if an area is too busy, no ones stopping anyone from going to a quieter part of the site. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nah, I think they've got the balance just right. The only thing I'd consider changing is opening up a few more areas on the Thursday. Some of those that are open are stupidly overcrowded

But I don't get the mentality of people seeing somewhere is rammed, and they're not going to get to see what they went there to see, but then opting to stay there as if they are powerless to go somewhere else--why is it up to the festival to sort that out? We're not lemmings 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think the responsibility lies with us punters - Thursday was rammed in the market areas, greenpeace etc, but that just meant there was more space elsewhere - Tootard were on in the pussy parlure and there was lots of space (and they were good! ) - if an area is too busy, no ones stopping anyone from going to a quieter part of the site. 

Yes I've deliberately started avoiding the chaos of William's Green and spent some time on Thursday at Avalon Cafe, Toad Hall and Truth Stage. In all honesty whenever anyone complains about something being busy I generally think it is obvious that it would be busy and if it meant a great deal to me to see it then I'd turn up early. If it doesn't I might chance my arm but I'll just move on if it seems as busy as I suspected. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I've deliberately started avoiding the chaos of William's Green and spent some time on Thursday at Avalon Cafe, Toad Hall and Truth Stage. In all honesty whenever anyone complains about something being busy I generally think it is obvious that it would be busy and if it meant a great deal to me to see it then I'd turn up early. If it doesn't I might chance my arm but I'll just move on if it seems as busy as I suspected. 

Yep, if there's any even remotely known act on a Thursday evening on a small stage, I've learnt there's no point in trying - there's usually space elsewhere (like you said, Avalon cafe, green fields), you can even sit on the hills and relax or chat or entertain yourselves, it's what we used to have to do! 

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I'm even more of a melt because I don't even do the alcohol consumption. 

I don't either--when  I started going to Glastonbury I used to get excited at all the drugs I'd be doing, now I get excited at all the food I'll be eating ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, if there's any even remotely known act on on a Thursday evening om a small stage, I've learnt there's no point in trying - there's usually space elsewhere (like you said, Avalon cafe, green fields), you can even sit on the hills and relax or chat or entertain youraelves, it's what we used to have to do! 

True, I actually think they are doing a great job with the Thursday night now already. I had clashes galore. Would I have liked to see Elvana in Williams Green, yes but was Tankus The Henge on Truth stage a good alternative and with plenty of space to dance, yes!

This year they put the football on West Holts, a headliner at Strummerville, the Annie Mac thing on Introducing, the usual fun on Williams Green, plus countless other bars and stages with random goodness. 

I'd like to have seen Beans on Toast but it was too busy so we saw Josephine & The Artizans and Keston Cobblers Club at Avalon Cafe instead. All were good fun. 

Edited by gigpusher

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don't either--when  I started going to Glastonbury I used to get excited at all the drugs I'd be doing, now I get excited at all the food I'll be eating ?

My frequent contributions to the food threads and the fact that I photographed every meal I had bar one is proof that I am the same. Need to get our energy somehow! :D

• Upvote 1

I'd love to be there on the Monday and Tuesday before.  And maybe for there to be an extra day of the weekend somehow.  When the music starts on Friday it already feels like the countdown to the end has begun.

As I'm a little older now, I didn't smash it for all 5 nights in a row, I took Friday a bit more calmly so that I was recharged for Saturday and Sunday. Another weekend day could mean a second less intensive "rest day" where you get to enjoy more of the festival on a less wasted level.  I always want to explore the site more over the weekend, but usually get sucked into watching bands and drinking all the things.

Sort of off topic but...I do think there should be different tickets.

Full price for the 5 days, maybe open the site from midnight on the Tuesday night.

20% cheaper for a 3 days pass from Friday.

or even same price as it is today for 3 days and 40 quid more for 5 days

would mean the site isn’t as rammed for the weds/thurs night people, would also be potentially easier to get tickets for the full 5 days.

24 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Sort of off topic but...I do think there should be different tickets.

Full price for the 5 days, maybe open the site from midnight on the Tuesday night.

20% cheaper for a 3 days pass from Friday.

or even same price as it is today for 3 days and 40 quid more for 5 days

would mean the site isn’t as rammed for the weds/thurs night people, would also be potentially easier to get tickets for the full 5 days.

I think most people would just pay the top whack.

It is anyway in many ways. We sleep in the queue so we're there Tuesday till Monday. I like We'd/Thur without the main stages, gives you a chance to explore and have a good craic on without worrying about scheduling time slots once you get to the weekend.

I think it's one of those things where it leaves you wanting more but if it was longer and more music orientated over the week it could become a bit gruelling. They have the right balance already imo, you can't do it all in one festival or several so you gotta go back for more.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, jimbarkanoodle said:

It should go on for a  week of course. The only issue is,  it would fuck up quite a lot of people as its already bad enough smashing drugs for 4 or 5 days solid, without adding a couple more.

The comedown from Glastonbury is always really bad, unless of course you are a melt who doesn't actually do any gear at Glastonbury (why on earth wouldn't you?!), so it could be quite dangerous with lots of depressed minds heading back to Liverpool and Surrey. The balance at the moment is probably about right i'd say, but I always hate leaving on Monday as im fucked up and the party is over.

I’ve been to 10 Glastonburys and never taken drugs. I’ve also done Glastonbury stone-cold sober. IMO Glastonbury is fun enough without getting off my face.

• Upvote 1