Should it go for a week?

majormajormajor

Unless there was a major ticket price hike, the main stages being open for an extra day would surely just mean everything being spread more thinly, leading to an increase in lame Tom Odell-type bookings. Not sure I’d be up for that even if it were possible.

Bang up for the theatre fields etc running full throttle on Thursday, though. Clearly the Thursdays are now too busy in terms of punters for the amount of stuff there is to ‘do’, so either they need to find a way to spread the crowds out or (less preferably) take the drastic step of separating tickets into Wednesday and Thursday arrivals like they already do with coach tickets.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

The current duration is just about right, by Sunday I'm whalloped and ready for a comfy sofa and bed on Monday morning.

No doubt it's a long old slog for everyone working at the festival already, ground maintenance, plant operators etc, so adding a couple more days could be a bit much.

I was at glasto for 9 days ,  but I could of gone for 11 days ,  was great seeing the site before the masses arrive ,  was nice and chilled , so to me it felt like it was on for a week ,  fact is thou if it was on for a week some of the workers would have to arrive even earlier , and some of the workers have been at glasto since April and beginning of may , not sure they would want to go even earlier than that 

11 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Does anyone else think it seems somehow slightly wasteful for the majority of the festival to only be open for three days? So much effort, scope and attention to detail, blink and it's over... 

Has it ever been proposed that it go for longer? Ie. Monday to Monday? 

It does go from Monday to Monday if you work or volunteer.  Lots of nice parties on Monday and Tuesday in the crew bars of Block 9, Shangri-La, Unfairground and Arcadia.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

It does go from Monday to Monday if you work or volunteer.  Lots of nice parties on Monday and Tuesday in the crew bars of Block 9, Shangri-La, Unfairground and Arcadia.

We went in them ,  great crew bars ,  miles better than the normal bars ,  and when the masses arrived  and the queues was massive at the normal bars we just went to a crew bar , no queues and plenty of places to sit , crew bars are some of the best bars on site . Just my opinion 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I was lucky enough to be there for a week, from Monday 14:30, I enjoy the days without much music as the weekend days. So for me it’s perfect already. Tuesday was quite chilled so I didn’t feel too wrecked later in the week. 

To be fair, i'd probably go for a week if the masses weren't there too! :DWed and Thurs felt too rammed this year as it was so personally I don't think i'd want another couple of days of that especially with not that much to do.

I think the cost would make it prohibitively expensive for most people. Security alone is £1 million per day. Also, the infrastructure would probably struggle. Just look at the water issues this time when it was hot. 

I personally was dead this year by Sunday night. Don't get me wrong after a day's rest I wanted to be back but I think the length is probably about right. 

Edited by gigpusher

It should go on for a  week of course. The only issue is,  it would fuck up quite a lot of people as its already bad enough smashing drugs for 4 or 5 days solid, without adding a couple more.

The comedown from Glastonbury is always really bad, unless of course you are a melt who doesn't actually do any gear at Glastonbury (why on earth wouldn't you?!), so it could be quite dangerous with lots of depressed minds heading back to Liverpool and Surrey. The balance at the moment is probably about right i'd say, but I always hate leaving on Monday as im fucked up and the party is over.

• Downvote 1

I think it's enough, provided everything is open when you get in there on Wednesday morning. It's a pain when the places like Shangri La, Block 9, etc are still being built until Thursday afternoon.

The only change I'd personally make is to allow punters in on Tuesday evening/afternoon, so you get to make the most of every day from Wednesday-Monday

43 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

It should go on for a  week of course.

Didn't you say that you've never purchased a ticket?

With that in mind, I'd say you've got your moneys worth already lad.

29 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I think it's enough, provided everything is open when you get in there on Wednesday morning. It's a pain when the places like Shangri La, Block 9, etc are still being built until Thursday afternoon.

The only change I'd personally make is to allow punters in on Tuesday evening/afternoon, so you get to make the most of every day from Wednesday-Monday

But then in five years time you’ll have people saying “let us in on Monday afternoon/evening so we can make the most of every day from Tuesday to Monday” and so on and so on. Plus all the Oxfam stewards etc would have to get there earlier to be briefed on Monday rather than on Tuesday, which means caterers would have to get there earlier and the disruption to local residents would go on for longer, etc. 

I agree it’s a shame the festival is still a building site through Wednesday and into Thursday but dunno how much they could really do about that without making budget cuts elsewhere.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Would love it to but it wont happen. I would love it if it started on the Monday and we had Mon to Thursday like we currently have Wed & Thursday. The best time at the festival for me is the wed and thursday... so much to do and explore without having to get to stages for specific times. 

This is why once Friday comes the festival is over before you can blink... too much rushing about usually. 

2 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

It should go on for a  week of course. The only issue is,  it would fuck up quite a lot of people as its already bad enough smashing drugs for 4 or 5 days solid, without adding a couple more.

The comedown from Glastonbury is always really bad, unless of course you are a melt who doesn't actually do any gear at Glastonbury (why on earth wouldn't you?!), so it could be quite dangerous with lots of depressed minds heading back to Liverpool and Surrey.

82481B6F-140D-4B29-AFB1-C2105B7CF19A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

The comedown from Glastonbury is always really bad, unless of course you are a melt who doesn't actually do any gear at Glastonbury (why on earth wouldn't you?!)

Because my life is great and I don't need chemical enhancement to enjoy things?

• Like 1