Should it go for a week?

majormajormajor

Does anyone else think it seems somehow slightly wasteful for the majority of the festival to only be open for three days? So much effort, scope and attention to detail, blink and it's over... 

Has it ever been proposed that it go for longer? Ie. Monday to Monday? 

Edited by majormajormajor

With the weather this year the site could have easily done back to back weekends like Coachella, will never happen and not something you could plan for.

I spent a few hours walking around on the Monday thinking it was a shame to see it all dismantled.

Has it even rained since at the site?! 

19 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Has it ever been proposed that it go for longer? Ie. Monday to Monday? 

On here? Loads of times.

By anyone with any influence in the matter? I really doubt it.

It's not a runner for a multitude of reasons - as stated by others, the council would never agree a licence that allowed for extra public days, and probably wouldn't even allow much in the way of extra volume on the Wednesday or Thursday without it being offset with some other concessions from the festival.

It's kind of meaningless to say that an extra day would have worked with the weather this year - it would have, of course. But they can't make these kind of plans based on one particular weather outcome. In a mud year like 2007 or 2016 you get people fucking off early and complaining that the festival is too long. The balance is about right.

I don’t see the potential for a week but I definitely think Thursday could be developed in the future.

there are already bands playing on a Thursday and although I don’t think it’s imminent I suppose eventually we could see bands on the main stages on a Thursday.

With full entertainment? No. But a wednesday-like day or two on Monday/Tuesday, means you can charge traders more which would probably pay for the added costs, or even charge punters an extra twenty quid a day or such. Would help spread out arrivals even more. Certainly not impossible.

8 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I don’t see the potential for a week but I definitely think Thursday could be developed in the future.

there are already bands playing on a Thursday and although I don’t think it’s imminent I suppose eventually we could see bands on the main stages on a Thursday.

Unless the license changes dramatically we won’t.