Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
august1

John Peel announcer

Recommended Posts

Is the fella who introduced the bands still doing it? 

Cant say I noticed it as I was only outside for a couple of sets this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, august1 said:

Is the fella who introduced the bands still doing it? 

Cant say I noticed it as I was only outside for a couple of sets this year

Pretty sure I heard Gandalf's voice as Pond finished on the iPlayer live stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks both :)

Wasn't sure if he was binned off for not being entirely PC.

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, august1 said:

Thanks both :)

Wasn't sure if he was binned off for not being entirely PC.

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

The whole festival (in line with society as a whole) is becoming less edgy. South East corner even when I started going 10-11 years ago felt a lot more edgy/ underground/ dangerous (not literally, maybe slightly). Maybe it's just the fact that's its less of a novelty to me or because I'm older but it felt different one way or another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Jim came on after Gerry Cinnamon to sing his praises

 

Yes, he said "if he's not headlining the Pyramid Stage one day then there's something wrong with the world" or something like that. 

But in 2009 he also said that Hockey were one of the best bands he'd ever seen playing that stage and they haven't been heard of since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Yes, he said "if he's not headlining the Pyramid Stage one day then there's something wrong with the world" or something like that. 

But in 2009 he also said that Hockey were one of the best bands he'd ever seen playing that stage and they haven't been heard of since. 

He said similar after Tom Walker as well. Jim used to compare years ago but now runs the whole area. so I was surpirsed and happy to see him back comparing again - he's written some great books too and there is a JP documentary done from a few years ago thats a great watch too all about the backstage of JP and how its run (from memory the documentary was filmed and put together by local students)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, august1 said:

Thanks both :)

Wasn't sure if he was binned off for not being entirely PC.

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

The John Peel Stage was originally the New Bands Stage. From memory it always catered for newer and older alternative/indie bands. This year though it seems to be heading in a different direction, I was very surprised to see Sean Paul headlining there - is this a change of direction for the stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

The John Peel Stage was originally the New Bands Stage. From memory it always catered for newer and older alternative/indie bands. This year though it seems to be heading in a different direction, I was very surprised to see Sean Paul headlining there - is this a change of direction for the stage?

Sean Paul was a last minute booking due to Diplo pulling out so there probably wasn't as much thought put into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone rememeber who the John Peel announcer on the Pyramid in the 90s was? Can't remember his name...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Anyone rememeber who the John Peel announcer on the Pyramid in the 90s was? Can't remember his name...

Was it Jim Fox, he has been with the stage since it started - defo compared full time at one stage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...