Sign in to follow this  
august1

John Peel announcer

Is the fella who introduced the bands still doing it? 

Cant say I noticed it as I was only outside for a couple of sets this year

12 minutes ago, august1 said:

Is the fella who introduced the bands still doing it? 

Cant say I noticed it as I was only outside for a couple of sets this year

Pretty sure I heard Gandalf's voice as Pond finished on the iPlayer live stream.

Thanks both :)

Wasn't sure if he was binned off for not being entirely PC.

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

9 minutes ago, august1 said:

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

The whole festival (in line with society as a whole) is becoming less edgy. South East corner even when I started going 10-11 years ago felt a lot more edgy/ underground/ dangerous (not literally, maybe slightly). Maybe it's just the fact that's its less of a novelty to me or because I'm older but it felt different one way or another. 

59 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Jim came on after Gerry Cinnamon to sing his praises

Yes, he said "if he's not headlining the Pyramid Stage one day then there's something wrong with the world" or something like that. 

But in 2009 he also said that Hockey were one of the best bands he'd ever seen playing that stage and they haven't been heard of since. 

3 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Yes, he said "if he's not headlining the Pyramid Stage one day then there's something wrong with the world" or something like that. 

But in 2009 he also said that Hockey were one of the best bands he'd ever seen playing that stage and they haven't been heard of since. 

He said similar after Tom Walker as well. Jim used to compare years ago but now runs the whole area. so I was surpirsed and happy to see him back comparing again - he's written some great books too and there is a JP documentary done from a few years ago thats a great watch too all about the backstage of JP and how its run (from memory the documentary was filmed and put together by local students)

14 hours ago, august1 said:

The John Peel Stage was originally the New Bands Stage. From memory it always catered for newer and older alternative/indie bands. This year though it seems to be heading in a different direction, I was very surprised to see Sean Paul headlining there - is this a change of direction for the stage?

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

The John Peel Stage was originally the New Bands Stage. From memory it always catered for newer and older alternative/indie bands. This year though it seems to be heading in a different direction, I was very surprised to see Sean Paul headlining there - is this a change of direction for the stage?

Sean Paul was a last minute booking due to Diplo pulling out so there probably wasn't as much thought put into it. 

Anyone rememeber who the John Peel announcer on the Pyramid in the 90s was? Can't remember his name...

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Anyone rememeber who the John Peel announcer on the Pyramid in the 90s was? Can't remember his name...

Was it Jim Fox, he has been with the stage since it started - defo compared full time at one stage