John Peel announcer

august1

9 minutes ago, august1 said:

Thanks both :)

Wasn't sure if he was binned off for not being entirely PC.

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

The whole festival (in line with society as a whole) is becoming less edgy. South East corner even when I started going 10-11 years ago felt a lot more edgy/ underground/ dangerous (not literally, maybe slightly). Maybe it's just the fact that's its less of a novelty to me or because I'm older but it felt different one way or another. 

59 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Jim came on after Gerry Cinnamon to sing his praises

Yes, he said "if he's not headlining the Pyramid Stage one day then there's something wrong with the world" or something like that. 

But in 2009 he also said that Hockey were one of the best bands he'd ever seen playing that stage and they haven't been heard of since. 

3 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Yes, he said "if he's not headlining the Pyramid Stage one day then there's something wrong with the world" or something like that. 

But in 2009 he also said that Hockey were one of the best bands he'd ever seen playing that stage and they haven't been heard of since. 

He said similar after Tom Walker as well. Jim used to compare years ago but now runs the whole area. so I was surpirsed and happy to see him back comparing again - he's written some great books too and there is a JP documentary done from a few years ago thats a great watch too all about the backstage of JP and how its run (from memory the documentary was filmed and put together by local students)

14 hours ago, august1 said:

Thanks both :)

Wasn't sure if he was binned off for not being entirely PC.

I was just thinking the tent doesn't have the same feel/vibe it used to have.  Seams to have strayed from its original remit 

The John Peel Stage was originally the New Bands Stage. From memory it always catered for newer and older alternative/indie bands. This year though it seems to be heading in a different direction, I was very surprised to see Sean Paul headlining there - is this a change of direction for the stage?

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

The John Peel Stage was originally the New Bands Stage. From memory it always catered for newer and older alternative/indie bands. This year though it seems to be heading in a different direction, I was very surprised to see Sean Paul headlining there - is this a change of direction for the stage?

Sean Paul was a last minute booking due to Diplo pulling out so there probably wasn't as much thought put into it. 

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Phoenix headlining on Sunday in 2013 was the best party in the JP. Everyone formed a huge circle of the whole tent afterwards with New York, New York playing and I think you came out and shook everyone's hand 

That was magnificent, a great moment indeed. 

I also really enjoyed M83s set in 2016 in there, a great set and fun atmosphere in the tent. 

• Like 1

JP my favourite stage for sure, seen the most amazing acts in there and the sound quality and armosphere is always electric. First band I saw at Glastonbury was in there (F8ucked up), and they were an amazing introduction to Glastonbury and the first headliner I saw too (Doves)

I am somehow holding out that Editors will still be playing but not on the first line up poster ... got to keep the faith 🙂

1 hour ago, Jim Fox said:

You'll have to be patient for a little while longer, but it will definitely be worth the wait.

Sigh.... I was hoping (but realising it was unlikely) that your post was anticipating an imminent announcement.  Patience is not something I'm renowned for but I will try.