eFests Set of Glastonbury 2019 - THE RESULTS

Hugh Jass

37 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Ezra was bad. Watched him with an open mind (I.e. not by choice but meeting others in our crew there), and it was woeful. He sat down the whole set because he sprained his ankle two weeks ago - I mean come on soft lad. Then proceeded to vaingloriously monologue for about 5 minutes with incredibly boring stories about how he wrote each song (‘uhh this one time I was on a gap yahh ’ kind of claptrap). 

I also found his music is very uninspiring. Safe but dull. Nice but dim. V radio 2. Can imagine Chris Evans is a big fan sorta thing. 

This is exactly how I felt about George Ezra until sox months ago.  Then I listened to his podcast, ‘George Ezra and friends.’

It’s really lovely and reveals him to be a total fan boy of the music industry and also of Glastonbury.  I thought he was a Bland, boring, gone in a year or two act but the podcast made me reconsider and now I think he is a lovely person, worthy of our love.  

Also, there are some proper heavyweight guests.  I suggest starting with the Emily Eavis one. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I saw Squid first or second thing on WG on Saturday. They were fucking brilliant, but will never win a competition like this.

Squid were frickin great considering it was 11am on Saturday 

Really cool to see SvE so high up, considering the tent for her wasn't super busy. Interpol getting 0 points is pretty surprising to me, I saw Tame Impala instead and had my set of the weekend but a good four or five people from our camp went and said they were great.

Also thought that Pond were really good and thought they'd get more than 3 - they'd probably make my top five.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

It was enough of a job compiling all this without worrying about weightings.

Be interesting to do the weightings now though that it's been done. Lizzo is a clear winner really (and that's coming from someone who didn't put her top). To be that close to Pyramid acts that had way bigger crowds shows she had way more impact. 

Surely we know how many more people the Pyramid holds than West Holts and Park etc to just multiply and divide votes. Come on statisticians we all want to write this terrible wrong. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Be interesting to do the weightings now though that it's been done. Lizzo is a clear winner really (and that's coming from someone who didn't put her top). To be that close to Pyramid acts that had way bigger crowds shows she had way more impact. 

Surely we know how many more people the Pyramid holds than West Holts and Park etc to just multiply and divide votes. Come on statisticians we all want to write this terrible wrong. 

It's near impssible apply weighting in any kind of way that's both meaningful and consistent though.

Pyramid holds ~100,000. West Holts holds ~30,000. So in very approximate terms you could triple her score and yeah she's top by a mile.

Except - and this is where it falls down - to be consistent you'd need to do that for smaller stages as well. The Avalon Stage holds 2,500 applying the same logic would mean multiplying those scores by ~40. In which case Frank Turner wins by an absurd margin.

Unless - and I've not looked down the list any further so not checked if something like this this has happened if just one person put say Mik Artistik at the Spike Bar (capacity about 20) top then that'd be almost unbeatable.

1 minute ago, incident said:

It's near impssible apply weighting in any kind of way that's both meaningful and consistent though.

Pyramid holds ~100,000. West Holts holds ~30,000. So in very approximate terms you could triple her score and yeah she's top by a mile.

Except - and this is where it falls down - to be consistent you'd need to do that for smaller stages as well. The Avalon Stage holds 2,500 applying the same logic would mean multiplying those scores by ~40. In which case Frank Turner wins by an absurd margin.

Unless - and I've not looked down the list any further so not checked if something like this this has happened if just one person put say Mik Artistik at the Spike Bar (capacity about 20) top then that'd be almost unbeatable.

True. There's also no way of knowing if they were full to capacity etc and Frank Turner's set was way over capacity as people were queued outside the tent. I think we'll just have to work on the principle that she is the winner only because watching The Killers back and Brandon Flowers can't hold a note and Lizzo's singing was on point!! 

Just now, gigpusher said:

True. There's also no way of knowing if they were full to capacity etc and Frank Turner's set was way over capacity as people were queued outside the tent. I think we'll just have to work on the principle that she is the winner only because watching The Killers back and Brandon Flowers can't hold a note and Lizzo's singing was on point!! 

Yep. Lizzo wins.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Notable acts without a single mention:

Interpol, Sean Paul, Courteeners, Jorja Smith, Billy Bragg, Bananarama...

My theory that the JP Tent is a bit crap for headliners is holding up then (I was at Interpol and it wasn't even half full).

3 hours ago, Badlands said:

Watched Lizzo again this morning, that place was jumping!

We were sat in Ghandis Flip Flop with our heads buried in their Thali and a mountain of poppadoms. Have to admit that I don’t know who Lizzo was (since seen it on telly - she needs to buy the whole costume next time) but I remember saying at the time ‘I know this song’ and the crowd were well going for it so obviously made an impression 

• Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, incident said:

Sounds fair enough to me.

16 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

We were sat in Ghandis Flip Flop with our heads buried in their Thali and a mountain of poppadoms. Have to admit that I don’t know who Lizzo was (since seen it on telly - she needs to buy the whole costume next time) but I remember saying at the time ‘I know this song’ and the crowd were well going for it so obviously made an impression 

She owned that costume and you obviously missed the point. What a stupid comment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Notable acts without a single mention:

Interpol, Sean Paul, Courteeners, Jorja Smith, Billy Bragg, Bananarama...

Jorja was a top 5 act for me but the light show for the Chems shaded it.

AJ Tracey's cameo to do Ladbroke Grove was possibly the highlight of the entire festival for me.

22 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

Er, her costume rocked. Are you the type that passes comment on anyone wearing anything outside the airbrushed magazine ‘norm’ .... she totally rocked it ! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Er, her costume rocked. Are you the type that passes comment on anyone wearing anything outside the airbrushed magazine ‘norm’ .... she totally rocked it ! 

Not saying it didn’t, folk can wear what they want as far as I’m concerned but we’re too sensitive at times these days IMO.

Maybe it was worn to stick two fingers up, but in turn that’s going to create a reaction, at least I attempted to do so in a humorous way (although not everyone sees things the same way - wouldn’t life be boring if we did?). 

FWIW, and it’s not my thing, what I have seen of her performance was very good and she can sing that’s for sure.,

54 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

She certainly did rock it from what I saw on the telly. Bet there were a few dropped jaws when she walked out on stage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Surely we know how many more people the Pyramid holds than West Holts and Park etc to just multiply and divide votes. Come on statisticians, a statistically relevant proportion of us  want to write this terrible wrong. 

FTFY :D

• Upvote 1