Similar smaller festival

danbailey80

12 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Depends on what you are into. If you are someone who doesn't really get into the music and just goes for headliners at the Pyramid Stage,  then perhaps somewhere really tame and boring like Womad would do for you.

I guess this is intended to be funny?

You must never have been to Womad.  It does require listening to music in other languages, which may be too much for some folks....

It’s a great festival on a lovely site, with plenty of other activities besides music. Not comparable to Glastonbury, but nothing is.

Edited by Watergirl

15 minutes ago, Pipine said:

How does latitude compare? 

Corporate, restrictive, and money grabbing. Nice site though.

If you want to go for a (for lack of a better way of putting it) "posh" festival, I found Wilderness to be much more relaxed and enjoyable (and am going back in a few weeks). It's the same ultimate parent company, and so all of those criticisms are still applicable, but they hide it from view infinitely better so you can get on with enjoying the festival.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet bit Larmer Tree is a beautiful little festival. 

The llineup is usually good ( music and cabaret)  nice woods area with 'healing' type stuff and late night disco. The setting is unbeatable too. 

It's on next weekend, don't know if there are any tix left tho.

Bit off topic, but has anyone on here ever tried the Great Escape festival in Brighton?  Got half an eye on it for next year, but not 100% certain.  I've looked at previous lineups and there's definitely some good bands in there that go on to bigger and better things, but not sure if you end up with one or two decent things (that inevitably clash) and a load of old toot to make up the numbers! :D

14 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Would have been a great alternative. Scary that it went under and I can't say I really understood how it did.

Didn't help that the ferry companies used it as a way of ripping people off. I went to the Dorset site last year but it just didn't have any of the feel that made Robin Hill so special. I've said it before, but it felt like a fairground with a stage at each end. A half empty fairground too. Was very sad to see HMS Bestival totally underused. Couldn't work out why they had 4 fairly big stages, but from what I could tell there was never any need for all of them. When the Temple was full of people watching Rudimental, the rest of the site was eerily quiet.

Edited by km9

12 minutes ago, km9 said:

Was very sad to see HMS Bestival totally underused.

Man, I miss that boat!

I remember being seriously wowed the first year of The Port, after Arcadia left. 

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Wasn’t there the no6 festival in wales? Doesn’t seem to be on anymore. It was a kind of boutique festival. I recollect the mud got to it a few years back 

They stopped it last year. Sounded rubbish anyway. Far too many bands and pointless, capital draining ideas like a comedy tent with big names in the comedy world.

Edited by jimbarkanoodle

Can wholeheartedly recommend Electric Picnic Festival in Ireland, end of August. Tickets are sold out but it's possible to pick some up at face value closer to the time. Capacity is 57,000 as of this year, runs Thursday (with Early Entry Pass), or Friday-Sunday. Sunday Day passes are also available but a lot harder to come by at this stage. But who wants to go for just one day? The Body & Soul area is gorgeous, similar vibe to Green Fields with the stage set in a natural amphitheatre in a wooded area. There's also a stage in a forest called Salty Dog that is an old fishing schooner. Five large tented arenas and a Main Stage that rests at the bottom of a hill, perfect viewing area throughout the weekend. Have had so many amazing experiences there over the years from the likes of Massive Attack, Leftfield, Portishead, Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, Orbital, Bjork, New Order, Beck, Underworld, The Cure and all your comedy favourites! New dance village area being constructed for this year, plus late night rave opportunities in the forest. This year's headliners are The Strokes, Florence & The Machine and Hozier (although they are prone to extremely late additions - The Prodigy headlined last year and were only announced a few weeks before the festival). 

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/

An even smaller festival in its second year, based in Co Waterford on the south coast of Ireland is All Together Now, founded by the same folks who started Electric Picnic before it was taken over by Festival Republic. Again, tickets for this year are gone but you can still pick up tickets at face value - it's in three week's time though. Not sure what this one is like as this year will be our first attendance, but its extremely well-reviewed after the first outing last year. The National, Hot Chip and Patti Smith headlining this year. Capacity 25-30,000.

https://www.alltogethernow.ie/

Port Eliot festival in Cornwall has just announced that the event in 2 weeks time is likely to be its last.  It was established at its current site by Lord Eliot, one of Michael Eavis's mates, who'd previously held the infamous Elephant Fayre there which was, apparently, a big influence on Eavis' development of Glastonbury in the '80s.

The current festival is a million miles away from its anarchic roots - very middle class, London-centric, hipster etc.  However, given the remarkable location and the eclectic music, it's always been one of my favourites.  To compare it to Glastonbury, I guess you'd have to say it was a mix of the Park and Greenfields, but the way they make full use of the stately home, the river and the woods sets it apart from any other festival I can think of.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Helsbels said:

Moovin Festival is an ace little festival held August Bank Holiday weekend just outside of Stockport near Manchester. We have a wedding to go to on the Saturday so just going on the Sunday this year

http://www.moovinfestival.com/line-up/

I John Moncur.

As long as you can live with the near facist booze restrictions if camping.

Buying booze on the campsite from the organisers is next level restricted 

As you say though, I had a blast last year.  Literally dancing in the cattle sheds feels nice.

Just take a live in vehicle and take all you need in contraband.

Went last year on a day ticket for chemical brothers on the Sunday. It was a near perfect life moment. Chemicals on stage, Lovell telescope backdrop and the international space station visible with the naked eye. 

Simply Lovleh.

Doing Thursday to Monday weekend after next but, it's a bit steep and restrictive compared to others.

It's more Chorlton craft ale tap than Moss Side Reno (for those in the know).

Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:38 PM, djdavejohnson said:

Has anybody here ever been to Bluedot? Seems an interesting festival that could be right up my street with the Science theme. IIRC though the price put me off a little, which isn't to say I won't try it, I guess I just need some recommendations! 

@stuartbert two hats think you've done this one?

Has anybody here ever been to Bluedot? Seems an interesting festival that could be right up my street with the Science theme. IIRC though the price put me off a little, which isn't to say I won't try it, I guess I just need some recommendations! 

We're on our way there now. Went on day tickets last year and loved it. Going for whole weekend with caravan which has brought load of extra issues such as scarcity of live in vehicle tickets. Main gripe is not being able to arrive before today without paying  £30 extra per person, and campsites closing at 9pm which ruled out our preferred Thursday evening arrival. I'm hoping it will still be the little jewel of a festival I experienced last year, but will let you know! 

1 hour ago, dizzymoo said:

We're on our way there now. Went on day tickets last year and loved it. Going for whole weekend with caravan which has brought load of extra issues such as scarcity of live in vehicle tickets. Main gripe is not being able to arrive before today without paying  £30 extra per person, and campsites closing at 9pm which ruled out our preferred Thursday evening arrival. I'm hoping it will still be the little jewel of a festival I experienced last year, but will let you know! 

Ah I can see why that's a little annoying. Enjoy your weekend, and let me know how you find it! 

• 2 weeks later...

My friend mentioned this to me as a possibility next year.  I've had a quick look at their Facebook page and website and my first thought is that the lineup for this year didn't look great (though I admit I hadn't heard of most and I might love them all once I listen to them!), it seems expensive (£190 for Thursday-Sunday - wow puts the great value of Glasto in perspective!!!), a few posts on FB saying the organisation was chaotic, not enough camping, too many people for the site, not enough music.  It isn't making me feel like it's top of my list.  It doesn't help that I'm not into science either!

Will be interested to hear what @dizzymoohas to say about it!

Edited by Beerqueen

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Tempted by latitude, bit of a journey from up here but looks to have a decent atmosphere.  Any info how this years was? Trouble is that I have found nothing that compares or even comes anywhere near the unique Glastonbury. 

Glastonbury is that though - unique - its incomparable so it's important to enjoy other festivals for what they are. Glastonbury shaped hole fillers. ?

I've not done Latitude. Boomtown's setup gives Glastonbury a run though. There is an arguement that the staging and theatricality is actually better there. The line up isn't though although it is definitely more diverse than ever, and it's got some solid acts on this year! It's one of the more expensive ticket wise - around £260. I've not read this whole thread so apologies if it's been discussed. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Wasn’t there the no6 festival in wales? Doesn’t seem to be on anymore. It was a kind of boutique festival. I recollect the mud got to it a few years back 

The first time I went (2015) was fantastic, very boutique-y/middle-class but lots of fun despite that. Felt really different. Went again (after it had been bought by Broadwick) in 2016 and it was so different. Felt like things had been cut back across the site, almost everything felt like an attempt to extract more money from you and the organisation was half arsed at best. Awful weather didn’t help. I think it was best that it bowed out. 

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Tempted by latitude, bit of a journey from up here but looks to have a decent atmosphere.  Any info how this years was? Trouble is that I have found nothing that compares or even comes anywhere near the unique Glastonbury. 

9 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Glastonbury is that though - unique - its incomparable so it's important to enjoy other festivals for what they are. Glastonbury shaped hole fillers. ?

I've not done Latitude. Boomtown's setup gives Glastonbury a run though. There is an arguement that the staging and theatricality is actually better there. The line up isn't though although it is definitely more diverse than ever, and it's got some solid acts on this year! It's one of the more expensive ticket wise - around £260. I've not read this whole thread so apologies if it's been discussed. 

Important point about taking these festivals on their own merit and not even trying to compare...

i have been to Latitude 5-6 times, Bearded Theory twice and 10 Glastonbury’s... so no expert. BT is nearer Glastonbury from a vibe perspective (feels like a fair few pre SuperFence Glasto goers attend..)

Latitude is absolutely chalk and cheese... it really wound me up first year (for all the reasons mentioned here) but my wife loved it, so we went back...

it is a lovely setting and layout and I have warmed to its absolute differences... it felt more like a holiday than a festival.

Didnt go this year as the line-up just made it look so overpriced... I fear they are chasing ever decreasing profit margins