Similar smaller festival

danbailey80

Interesting to hear that people liken Green Man to Avalon/Glade as for me its the Park. Used to love Shambala but it got a bit young and ket tastic recently for us (as a family) but I wouldnt say that was Avalon either - it has  a great permaculture and kids area and amazing trippy woods atmosphere but the music isnt Avalon-y or the vibe. It is more like the glade mixed with the SEC but not the the extent of Boomtown obvs.

3 hours ago, y0ungtitan said:

Went last year and loved it. Quite small, friendly people, nice location, no separate arena so you can take your own booze in like you can at Glasto (although they are/want to limit people this year since their bars could do with a bit more profit). Not a huge amount going on in the night, just a site-wide silent disco (although I quite enjoyed it). Only cashless festival I've been to but found it worked pretty well. Not going this year since the lineup isn't as strong for me and it was a bit too close to Glasto for my liking but would definitely recommend it and would go back, especially during the next fallow year or if I end up ticketless.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for - an alternative if I don't get a ticket and I have a bit gap in my festival calendar!

18 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Beatherder next weekend (sold out this year) has the Toil Trees which have a Glade vibe

Mostly dance music but has bands, comedy, market, smaller version of the Shangri la tunnels, fortress, trash manor, loads more...

Been to pretty much all of them and worked the last few as bar staff.

It pains me to say, it is going the wrong way narcs wise.  The youth ticket was a bad idea.

Swerving this year for my own sanity. I ain’t keen on putting 15 year olds in the recovery position at 4 o clock Friday afternoon.

Brings a tear to my eye.

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

It pains me to say, it is going the wrong way narcs wise.  The youth ticket was a bad idea.

Swerving this year for my own sanity. I ain’t keen on putting 15 year olds in the recovery position at 4 o clock Friday afternoon.

Brings a tear to my eye.

I think they are trying address the young people get smashed problem this year with the amount of alcohol you can take in.

It is still a great festival but you do see some states, including older generations,  the staff (paid and medical) do have a lot on. Id day it quite a full-on gathering where people seem to go all out for 3 days. As a reveller I’ve not got to the point I don’t want to go but you’re not the first person I’ve read say it.

Depends on what you are into. If you are someone who doesn't really get into the music and just goes for headliners at the Pyramid Stage,  then perhaps somewhere really tame and boring like Womad would do for you.

If you are a posh instagrammer who wastes a Glastonbury ticket by being a posh instagrammer, then maybe Wilderness is for you.

If you like getting fully involved, taking drugs and staying up all night in the SE Corner, then get yourself along to Boomtown.

Someone mentioned Shambala, if you are up for it just break in, its a piece of piss. I normally literally just make a gap in the fence and hop in. It always sells out and they are not going to increase capacity, so just forgo the whole ticket buying process from the off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, danbailey80 said:

I have the post glasto blue bad. 

Can anyone recommend any smaller festivals that have a similar vibe, especially green fields/ glade type atmosphere. Thank you in advance. 

Noisily festival... starts on this Thursday.

Much smaller < 5000 people but 4 top quality stages in the forest like the Glade, mind body and soul area like healing fields.

It's a perfect little festival, nice hippy vibes and beautiful lovely crowd.

Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Brings a tear to my eye.

I’ve been to 5  and stopped going after 2017 for the very same reason. I hate to be that person, but ‘it’s not the same as it used to’. Too many kids on ket, loads of tent thieves and fights for my liking, always felt on edge past couple of years.

Gonna check EDEN out next year instead, heard good stuff about it.

Edited by Jay89

10 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Depends on what you are into. If you are someone who doesn't really get into the music and just goes for headliners at the Pyramid Stage,  then perhaps somewhere really tame and boring like Womad would do for you.

If you are a posh instagrammer who wastes a Glastonbury ticket by being a posh instagrammer, then maybe Wilderness is for you.

If you like getting fully involved, taking drugs and staying up all night in the SE Corner, then get yourself along to Boomtown.

Someone mentioned Shambala, if you are up for it just break in, its a piece of piss. I normally literally just make a gap in the fence and hop in. It always sells out and they are not going to increase capacity, so just forgo the whole ticket buying process from the off.

Ha ha - I  am none of these!

12 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Would have been a great alternative. Scary that it went under and I can't say I really understood how it did.

In short? They sold 25,000 tickets less than they expected one year, and never recovered from that.

1 minute ago, incident said:

In short? They sold 25,000 tickets less than they expected one year, and never recovered from that.

Thanks. I did have a quick Google but didn't find that. Bit scary how tenuous is the future of even such an award winning festival.

57 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Would have been a great alternative. Scary that it went under and I can't say I really understood how it did.

I’m still sad about it... Bestival was awesome before it’s demise. And similar to glasto it had relatable faces with Rob and Josie rather than a corporate machine, just like Michael and Emily. 

43 minutes ago, incident said:

2016 was weird and the way they dealt with that was the final nail. Bollywood was a white marquee, the spaceport thing was half finished.  People said that crowd moved on but it had quite a wide demographic i think so not sure they all went to Boomtown 

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’m still sad about it... Bestival was awesome before it’s demise. And similar to glasto it had relatable faces with Rob and Josie rather than a corporate machine, just like Michael and Emily. 

2016 was weird and the way they dealt with that was the final nail. Bollywood was a white marquee, the spaceport thing was half finished.  People said that crowd moved on but it had quite a wide demographic i think so not sure they all went to Boomtown 

I did read that 2016 was a mare for them with an underwhelming lineup and sound problems. Such a shame they didn't recover. Sounds like it was a great option.

It's so hard to follow glastonbury.. the only thing I've ventured to was big chill years ago and that seemed kind of nice but so tiny in comparison... I might try green man maybe one year.. 

How does latitude compare? 

3 minutes ago, Pipine said:

It's so hard to follow glastonbury.. the only thing I've ventured to was big chill years ago and that seemed kind of nice but so tiny in comparison... I might try green man maybe one year.. 

How does latitude compare? 

I've not been but my friend said it was extremely middle class and she wouldn't go again. And she is what most people would describe as nice and middle class!