2019: Plethora of acts miming/ performing to backing tracks

Splonk

Watching the BBC 'Highlights' programme last night and was shocked by the number of acts who were performing to backing tracks and miming.

It seems that we have reached the point where it is acceptable for acts to turn up with a dance troupe and to perform a dance routine to music without any actual live music.

It may please the record company bosses and producers at the BBC, but is this really in the spirit of the festival?

6 minutes ago, Splonk said:

Watching the BBC 'Highlights' programme last night and was shocked by the number of acts who were performing to backing tracks and miming.

It seems that we have reached the point where it is acceptable for acts to turn up with a dance troupe and to perform a dance routine to music without any actual live music.

It may please the record company bosses and producers at the BBC, but is this really in the spirit of the festival?

Yeah I noticed this but thought it was limited to strictly "pop" acts, ie Janet J., Kylie, Miley Cyrus? I'm not entirely surprised by the backing tracks for these types of acts, altho JJ's miming was atrocious, I agree

Completely agree, don’t think any musical performer should be able to mime, assuming you’re referring to Janet Jackson that was one of the worst mime performances I’ve ever seen. Billy Ray Cyrus’s was pretty shocking as well when he came out with Miley. His “vocals” already began before he got to a microphone ?

Billie Eilish was miming too, though I’d have expected that cos the songs are 80% minimalist bleeps and breathy whispered vocals that just won’t work live. 

Admittedly I watched one song on the highlights and I’m rejecting the rest unseen ??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Completely agree, don’t think any musical performer should be able to mime, assuming you’re referring to Janet Jackson that was one of the worst mime performances I’ve ever seen. Billy Ray Cyrus’s was pretty shocking as well when he came out with Miley. His “vocals” already began before he got to a microphone ?

Looks like he was headed to the mic centre stage, Miley pushed him to the other one and vocal comes in whilst en route. Not great.

18 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah I noticed this but thought it was limited to strictly "pop" acts, ie Janet J., Kylie, Miley Cyrus? I'm not entirely surprised by the backing tracks for these types of acts, altho JJ's miming was atrocious, I agree

I don't believe Miley was miming. Her voice is hench.

For the other two, you can have a free shrug from me. People go to see them for the spectacle; there's a stage full of props and dancers so it's not like they're presenting themselves as a technical masterclass, and I would be surprised if people are going to see them with that as their priority either.

6 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

And on that note, do you reckon a DJ could ever headline the festival? 

Yes, I watched Fatboy "headline" (although he was promoted as "after the headliner") from the Isle of Wight festival and people looked like they were having an amazing time. It helped that he followed George Ezra of course but the same thing happened at Glastonbury this year, Pangea after the headliners was amazing.

23 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Billie Eilish was miming too, though I’d have expected that cos the songs are 80% minimalist bleeps and breathy whispered vocals that just won’t work live. 

Admittedly I watched one song on the highlights and I’m rejecting the rest unseen ??

Admittedly I didn't see her, but I really can't see how her music would come across well live in the slightest. Really struggle to see the hype with her but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. She's a young up and coming popular act so good luck to her.

Really hope to hear something from Lorde within the next year in time for GF 2020!

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Admittedly I didn't see her, but I really can't see how her music would come across well live in the slightest. Really struggle to see the hype with her but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. She's a young up and coming popular act so good luck to her.

Really hope to hear something from Lorde within the next year in time for GF 2020!

Indeed, I wasn't buying it when people said she was going to be a potential highlight of the festival and I've heard no talk about her set from anybody who went or watched it at home so it seems she made little to no impact.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Chemical Brothers did headline the festival.

rThey did but they’re not technically DJs are they, there is an element to their “live show” that is live and they play all of their own music rather than a DJ playing other people’s music. 

I’m talking like could you have a DJ as the main act of the Pyramid Stage. There are DJs that have their own complete light show and stuff I think Eric Prydz has his own stage show, this could be huge on the pyramid stage:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Yes, I watched Fatboy "headline" (although he was promoted as "after the headliner") from the Isle of Wight festival and people looked like they were having an amazing time. It helped that he followed George Ezra of course but the same thing happened at Glastonbury this year, Pangea after the headliners was amazing.

He's trying to play every stage at Glasto apparently. I'm not a massive fan - but I reckon him opening the Pyramid on the Friday would be a right laugh.

• Upvote 2

Just now, lukethekid said:

rThey did but they’re not technically DJs are they, there is an element to their “live show” that is live and they play all of their own music rather than a DJ playing other people’s music. 

I’m talking like could you have a DJ as the main act of the Pyramid Stage. There are DJs that have their own complete light show and stuff I think Eric Prydz has his own stage show, this could be huge on the pyramid stage:

There was an EDM thread a few weeks ago. Long story short: the big boys charge too much. Don't think it would get past the Other anyway.

Just now, Homer said:

There was an EDM thread a few weeks ago. Long story short: the big boys charge too much. Don't think it would get past the Other anyway.

True would need to pay a good few quid to get them in I suppose wouldn’t you, mad that a DJ can charge so much for a show as well. 

4 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

That was a live set though. When they DJed they were in one of the old dance tents.

surejan.w700.h700.jpg

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A relatively well known but by no means huge DJ was a client at my old work. He charged between £50-£80k for a festival. Considering they reckon Glastonbury pay around £100k to a headliner then I’d imagine people like Eric Prydz will be waaaaay out of their price range.

A lot of money that init for someone to play someone else’s records. I suppose there is a talent of putting the right set together and mixing it properly but regardless 80 grand to press play, nice little earner, not gonna see them in the dole queue anytime soon are we.