worth it with kids?

senor

16 hours ago, Wooderson said:

It's not easy or straightforward.

Agree with this.

Have taken our 2 youngest when they were 8 and then 12. Lots of compromise but they loved it. 

Chairs and blankets for night time and phones for later at night if they’re losing interest.

Kidz field is a magical place plus greenfields and others already mentioned.

Id do it again but more fun without.

I’d also add smaller festivals were much easier for us when they were younger. Is a trial run somewhere an option for you ?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I’d also add smaller festivals were much easier for us when they were younger. Is a trial run somewhere an option for you ?

Not possible. We leave half way around the world and haven't been back home to the UK for 10 years now. Kids will finish school for the first time in June (as we have recently moved) as opposed to February, so things have seemingly come together to make this a possibility. Add to that the summer will be my 40th so probably can twist a few arms and get a few old friends out of middle age retirement to come along.

So go to be very much a dive in at the deep end / sink or swim type affair.

A part of me is tempted to work on the wife so we leave the kids with my parents for the week, I have a year to implant the inception, although is difficult as the youngest doesn't know them at all and is very clinging with the wife.

We shall see how it all come together

17 hours ago, lukemack said:

Depends on alot of factors I'd say, I wouldn't take kids until they where grown out of needing a pram/buggy etc

The looks of 'please kill me' you see on parents when theres a muddy year and there trying to navigate the somme with toddlers in tow is priceless?

This is a slight niggling concern. A muddy year could be horrendous...

14 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

I never took mine when they were young ..the thought of it made me shudder, mine would have whinged and fought the whole time 

I think it is about how you feel accepting a totally different experience with your children 

I liked a break from mine  ?

am fairly sure mine will whinge and fight a fair amount of it. "DAAAAADDDDDDD I WANTED TO SIT ON THAT PIECE OF DIRT AND SHE TOOK IT FROM ME"

Plan to just get them doused up on sugar and E (numbers)  and then let them off the leash do their thing whilst I can watch from a safe distance and tut and shake my head "their parents should really control them better" lol

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, Quark said:

How did your plan go @Woffy?

As Wooderson rightly says, it’s not easy or straightforward by any means; I was on my own with mini-Woffy on Sunday, but we - especially she - had an absolute blast!  

She / we didn’t quite make it to Janelle Monae, but I can live with that, tbh. 

She was soooooooo done / tired I thought I’d cut my losses and leave before Janelle. 

I preferred to leave with us both on a massive high rather than a three year old have a meltdown and it tarnish the whole day. 

Totally the right decision. Sunday was always not about me anyway. 

But 6, 7 hours in the Kidz Field. She fuckin loved it. As did I. 

To answer your question, the pick up (and drop my shit off) plan went perfectly.

Vintage, vintage Glastonbury. 

Fair play to those who do Glastonbury with kids for the whole week - massive respect!

Edited by Woffy
  • Upvote 2

I would do it but expect a very different experience. I noticed this year a lot of trolleys and the rugged pushchairs which was cool. However one would expect not to be able to get in amongst the crowd, never mind wheeling your tired little one in amongst it all just because it was cool to go see Stormzy. 

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

As Wooderson rightly says, it’s not easy or straightforward by any means; I was on my own with mini-Woffy on Sunday, but we - especially she - had an absolute blast!  

She was soooooooo done / tired I thought I’d cut my losses and leave before Janelle. 

I preferred to leave with us both on a massive high rather than a three year old have a meltdown and it tarnish the whole day. 

To answer your question, the pick up (and drop my shit off) plan went perfectly.

Fair play to those who do Glastonbury with kids for the whole week - massive respect!

No upvotes left, love this post. Had a great time there with my niece, recently had a two week hol in the states with her and she irritated the life out of me and my partner but at glasto we and the whole group adored her with us. The place is special for kids. As it was when me and my siblings were kids there too. 

I have been to 10 Glastonburys, the last three have been we my daughter who is now 3.5. We don’t have babysitting options so it’s either take her or don’t go at all. That said, I love taking her. Couldn’t wait to show her some parts of the site this year. That said, it is hard work at times so I wouldn’t do it if you’re not 100 per cent committed. You do miss out on some stuff (getting shit faced with your partner in Arcadia) but we manage still to do most things we want to, helps that she still sleeps in the pushchair I guess. We still see a lot of bands, just take it in turns to play with her. My husband has also managed some late nights at busier parts of the site (SE Corner etc) and I think we will alternate who has a late night in the future (not done this yet due to breastfeeding). 

7 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I would do it but expect a very different experience. I noticed this year a lot of trolleys and the rugged pushchairs which was cool. However one would expect not to be able to get in amongst the crowd, never mind wheeling your tired little one in amongst it all just because it was cool to go see Stormzy. 

Back of the pyramid is actually ok with a pushchair but agree that watching the Other headliner is hard. Just got to make them as comfy and as snug as you can and tell them “you’re sleeping here” and hope that they do! 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:01 AM, lukemack said:

Depends on alot of factors I'd say, I wouldn't take kids until they where grown out of needing a pram/buggy etc

The looks of 'please kill me' you see on parents when theres a muddy year and there trying to navigate the somme with toddlers in tow is priceless?

I disagree. Didn’t miss out on anything much really in 2016 and it was sooo muddy but the LO was 6 months then and happy in the carrier. Didn’t have to worry about toilets or her having her own ideas about what she wanted to see and do!

Only did the Sunday with out 1 year old so feel a cheat against those who did a full festival.

The trolleys are great but heavy, a full day walking the site from east to west was hard after 4 days partying. We have an Osprey Pogo carrying which I regularly take him up mountains and cover a lot of miles in with relative ease, has sun shade and full tent for rainy days. It was one of four things our family member was meant to bring with him...they didn’t. This massively reduced the areas we could cover. The trolley was great when he wanted a kip. I left the trolley at a lock up when we walked to the top of the Park to play near tricketts/the sign.

Bring the essentials yourself if child is being dropped off.

Baby banz ear protectors were good, meant we could listen to bands or sit in the glade with some reassurance that his ears were somewhat protected.

The fresh fruit stall near the kids field was good.

We visited both the kids field/Greenpeace but both happened whilst he fancied a nap, the staff were great and there were places for shade and to chill.

Was worried he might be disturbed (or disturb other people) sleeping in east campervan field with constant rumble of the SEC but he was perfectly fine.

If we’re fortunate again with tickets next year will have big decisions to make whether to bring him for the whole festival. The festival falls on his birthday and not sure family would be prepared to have a holiday to accommodate dropping him off at Glastonbury again.

His happiness whilst on the site brought so much joy to me I couldn’t describe it!

183008BB-CE0A-411A-8098-5C7C6BAD9CAE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Woffy said:

Glad you enjoyed it pal, happy days 

It's a different festival. You don't have the wild abandon of a childless one, but then neither do you if they are at home, because you worry about them regardless right? After all that is your job and genetic imperative. 

However you do  get to see something you love through the eyes of a child that you love. And that can be very special indeed. 

Edited by Ohinever

I took my 8 year old for the first time this year she hasn't shut up at all about it since we got back, now her poor mum has two of us too deal with. 

Basically we made plans to see certain acts but cut that down due too getting distracted by other things. I made a deal with my daughter to spend Thursday with her in the kidzfeild and watch a movie wenesday. Then basically let her run the show Friday to what she wanted. All the acts I really wanted to see where Saturday bar the idles Friday. 

I think next year if I get tickets I will not make a plan and go with the flow as this seem to work the Sunday and we had a blast. 

Glasto w/ kids is a reflection of daily life with kids. If you dont have any support you're on yer own. We chose to bring them rather than not go. Truth be told I've found it harder with coeliac wife than with kids. Again, glasters reflecting every day life.

It's really good to hear people's experiences.. we're either going to have one more year child free (ticket god's and baby sitting permitting) or take the plunge into family glastonburys.. they'll be 4 and 6 next year.. I am quite excited to see their faces when they see the site for the first time.. I know they'll love it as much as I do . 

16 minutes ago, Pipine said:

It's really good to hear people's experiences.. we're either going to have one more year child free (ticket god's and baby sitting permitting) or take the plunge into family glastonburys.. they'll be 4 and 6 next year.. I am quite excited to see their faces when they see the site for the first time.. I know they'll love it as much as I do . 

We did 5 and 8 this year. They had a blast.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, Saint northover said:

I took my 8 year old for the first time this year she hasn't shut up at all about it since we got back, now her poor mum has two of us too deal with. 

Basically we made plans to see certain acts but cut that down due too getting distracted by other things. I made a deal with my daughter to spend Thursday with her in the kidzfeild and watch a movie wenesday. Then basically let her run the show Friday to what she wanted. All the acts I really wanted to see where Saturday bar the idles Friday. 

I think next year if I get tickets I will not make a plan and go with the flow as this seem to work the Sunday and we had a blast. 

sounds good. Probably wasn't a single act on the stages I would want to see (hell I haven't even heard of 90% of the major acts from being at the country so long). Would just be more interested in seeing the little extras you get at glasto, some old school funk band here, a bigbang jazz band playing there, some gypsy fiddle group going at it in some tiny little tent you never actually find again and cannot be 100% sure you didn't dream up. Checking out the green fields, circus, smaller tents, the weird and wonderful side of things. Which I think would sort the kids a lot more than dragging them over to see some guitar band on a main stage.

To be honest, I'd prefer them to get rid of all the main stages and just keep that aspect of the festival, reduce the numbers down, guarantee everyone who wants a ticket can get one and get the price down below a ton. Would be my perfect festival

On 7/7/2019 at 7:49 AM, Ohinever said:

It's a different festival. You don't have the wild abandon of a childless one, but then neither do you if they are at home, because you worry about them regardless right? After all that is your job and genetic imperative.

errr, I reckon I could get by alright if the kids were at home lol. The wife would find it impossible and would never agree to it

We’ve got 1 & 3 year old boys. They stayed at their grandparents this year. We were walking around all weekend seeing all the kids and parents and they all looked like they were having a great time. So by the Sunday evening we’d almost convinced ourselves that our boys would be coming with us next year...and within minutes we saw two separate toddler meltdowns/parents losing their rag. It was like the universe was telling us something. Babysitters are lined up for next year!