worth it with kids?

senor

Not sure why, but this years glasto seemed to stir up something in me. I went 3 or 4 or more times (is all a blur tbh) in the early 2000s, but then kids came along and life changes were made.

Have been out the country for over 10 years now and not been back, things are seemingly aligning that will be visiting summer 2020 now finally got the kids' registered with UK and got their passports sorted.

Am seriously thinking about trying to get glasto tickets next year, kids then would be 12, 7 and 4 but not so sure of how fun it would be to spend all day in the kids field and the cost it will all entail. My previous glastonbury experiences were certainly all on the messier side of things so really have no idea what a drugfree festival will be like. 

so has anyone done both? Gone as a messhead and then in later years with kids in tow?

If anyone suggests leaving kids and wife at home, that would be the ideal solution, but absolutely zero chance of getting that okayed lol

Take our kids every year, 11, 10 and 7 this time. They love it and this year we didn't actually go in the Kids field...(I know, shameful) They love Greenpeace, Theatre areas, Avalon and Shangri-la during the day. We stayed over at the West camper van field this time and they loved Arcadia before it got busy. I would say, go for it, you don't have to be in the Kids field all day as the kids love loads of other areas too. So much for them to see and do everywhere. Helter Skelter in Avalon for example. Dodgems at the Pier this  year too.....oh, and all free....

We took our kids for the first time this year, although we were lucky to have grandparents agree to pick them up on Saturday giving us the best part of two kid free days.

The kids absolutely loved it, and so did we. I will never forget their faces seeing the site for the first time on Tuesday night, from the top of the hill by gate C. 

Once on site we saw loads of stuff we don’t normally see, and it was a revelation to have a full nights sleep and wake up with only a mild beer hangover.

The Friday was one of my favourite festival days ever, and we totally maxed it out seeing various bands, circus acts and spending time in both kids fields.

I got a bit of fomo when my mates were off seeing bands I like that wouldn’t work for the kids, but other than that it was perfect.

We really missed them from Saturday evening onwards and I think it’s fair to say I preferred the first part of the festival when they were there.

Will definitely take them next year, tickets permitting, so I say go for it - it’s a great place for kids/families.

I’ve done very messy Glastonbury’s pre child and this year was my 5th with my son who is 6.

I wouldn’t dream of going without him now.   We don’t spend hours in the kids fields maybe a couple of hours a day.   He loves the theatre and circus fields.  Green peace and craft fields too.  We only see 2/3 bands a day and have a much more chilled festival.  

I won't lie, it's not easy, and you do feel you're missing out on some things night time SE corner etc, However if you accept that before you go it's really wonderful spending 5 unadulterated days with them being silly & watching music and theatre. We took our three again this year, we only spent a few hours in the kidzfield we saw a lot of what we wanted but not everything. If you're so inclined you can spend an evening without your family and swap so the next night your Mrs can do the same. 

Plan is to take kids next year if we get tickets. Probably take a caravan or camper van I reckon. This year was far and away the least messy festival I have had so reckon it won’t be as big a change as I’d imagined. We do local festivals with them and still have a fair feed of drink without going nuts. They will be 6 and 7 next year so not as much hassle as it would have been in years gone by. 

1 minute ago, sprocketrocket said:

I won't lie, it's not easy, and you do feel you're missing out on some things night time SE corner etc, However if you accept that before you go it's really wonderful spending 5 unadulterated days with them being silly & watching music and theatre. We took our three again this year, we only spent a few hours in the kidzfield we saw a lot of what we wanted but not everything.

It would be an absolute no brainer if the nighttime areas weren't there and the temptation to relive days of old didn't exist. As you say and the posts above, so much there I know the kids would love.  Don't really know what I am worried about, about as crazy as I get these days is half a pint on a Friday before fall asleep in front the  telly lol

If you're so inclined you can spend an evening without your family and swap so the next night your Mrs can do the same.

Alright wifey, I will have Wednesday night off, you get Thursday..... turn up Monday morning looking a bit sheepish

3 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Plan is to take kids next year if we get tickets. Probably take a caravan or camper van I reckon. This year was far and away the least messy festival I have had so reckon it won’t be as big a change as I’d imagined.

I think you're probably right, just my wind down years didn't happen in the UK. When first daughter born, she was, well a surprise so it kind of stopped all that by having to, not wanting too but still tried to get out when ever the opportunity arose. Now I couldn't think of anything worse than staying up for days at a time and dealing with the soul crunching aftermath. Just thinking about returning to places where mis-spent a lot of time is just raising up confusing feelings.

Seems the general consensus is it is amazing with the kids there if you go with the right expectations and knowing what kind of festival it will be. Decision made.

Now just the hassle of actually getting tickets ....

• Upvote 1

Took our 12 year old (Nearly 13) as she was free and my wifes best friends lad was the same age. This was 2017 and a different Glastonbury was had but still lots of fun and they were back with us by darkness. The same sprogs want us to pay next year when they are nearly 16 and just finished their GCSE's. Not a chance. I just could not switch off as a parent and I go to Glastonbury for my 5 days of escape. If she wants to go when she is 18 then fair enough and it might be time for me to hand the batton over and retire. Jesus I hope she's not as bad as I was ?

In my limited experience, it depends on age and what they are interested in.

We took a 4 and a 10 year old for the first time this year. The 4 yo was happy as anything in the kidz fields and would have spent the entire festival in one or other of the fields if he could. Outside of the kidz field he was pretty bored alot of the time. The 10 yo liked the kidz field but was equally happy wandering around the festival or watching a band. Personally, I don't particularly enjoy being in the kidz fields, but if it keeps the children happy we go there.

Everything took much longer than previous years. At one point sorting suncream, water bottles,  toilets, finding food etc for everyone took over an hour. Unintentionally we heard the entire Proclaimers set while sorting out that lot. This years heat probably added to it as we had to make sure the kids were hydrated, not too hot, comfortable and happy (if possible) before thinking about anything else.

We also saw very limited number of bands,  couldn't do any of the late night stuff, had to consider areas that might have big crowds and pinch points and pull a festival trolley complete with sleeping child up the hill of death a couple of times. However none of this was a surprise, we knew it would be a different Glastonbury before we went, it just took a couple of days to adjust. It wasn't really until the weekend we really felt like we were immersed in the festival.

Family have volunteered to babysit next year and if we are lucky enough to get tickets, at the moment I'd seriously consider taking them up on the offer. Don't actually know how I would feel about it come festival time though.

2015 we took a 15 and 16 yo and that was a completely different experience. Apart from the very late night stuff we didn't didn't miss anything, they enjoyed it and it is one of my favorite Glastonbury's.

Had my 6 year old niece with us and some of our group were a bit weary of having a kid around but they loved it and she had a great time at some of the acts and they all made an effort with her. Kidsfield and green kids were visited a lot but overall I don’t think she hindered anyone’s festival experience. Had a motorhome too which was ideal. 

Depends on alot of factors I'd say, I wouldn't take kids until they where grown out of needing a pram/buggy etc

The looks of 'please kill me' you see on parents when theres a muddy year and there trying to navigate the somme with toddlers in tow is priceless?

I never took mine when they were young ..the thought of it made me shudder, mine would have whinged and fought the whole time 

I think it is about how you feel accepting a totally different experience with your children 

I liked a break from mine  ?

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I look at some of the kids around me during the festival and see their smiling faces .... do it ... if practical and doesn't impact too much :) 

Glad you said that, because I've never seen anything but miserable kids at the festival! 

12 hours ago, faymondo said:

Took our 12 year old (Nearly 13) as she was free and my wifes best friends lad was the same age. This was 2017 and a different Glastonbury was had but still lots of fun and they were back with us by darkness. The same sprogs want us to pay next year when they are nearly 16 and just finished their GCSE's. Not a chance. I just could not switch off as a parent and I go to Glastonbury for my 5 days of escape. If she wants to go when she is 18 then fair enough and it might be time for me to hand the batton over and retire. Jesus I hope she's not as bad as I was ?

Plucked up the courage in 93 to ask my parents to go to Glasto with a friend at aged 16. They said yes - not sure if my parents where slightly out of their mind, they’d never been to anything similar! Or is it you that will be up to mischief! 

I’d say it’s a much safer festival now than then plus you’ve got communication with them - think we must have just organised to get picked up by a friend’s dad in a lay-by on the Sunday at a set time! 

Been with my LO when nearly 1 on a Sunday ticket & this year at nearly 4 - but just for the Thursday dropped back on the evening in time for my volunteering shift. Next year might build up to a night! Luckily live nearby so can pop in/out. 

In awe of a woman who was soloing for the entire festival with a 1-year old!