The underground piano bar

Glastomemory

I finally found the underground piano bar on Sunday night but there was a ridiculously long queue. We were told that people had queued up for 3 hours the night before to get in.

I quickly left and stumbled upon The Magic Teapot in the Greenfields. There was an incredible party atmosphere and singalong going on in there around the piano. The best things at Glastonbury are without doubt the random things you stumble across not the things you queue for.

Dont even get me started on the crazy queue lengths for NYC Downlow. 

• Upvote 2

Didn't even bother looking for it this year. Tried it a few times and the queues are normally ridiculous and just doesn't feel worth it considering the shit that I've had to listen to from the crew in previous years. 

This year had such a lovely vibe to it and I wasn't letting anything burst my little happy bubble.

• Upvote 1

IMO it can be absolutely fantastic but can also be complete dross.

Got to be lucky.

My best time there was in about 1999 when the staff were genuinely convinced that my missus was Debbie Harry from Blondie (who had just headlined) and we were her entourage. The piano player froze and couldn't play any more as he was so star struck  :)

13 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

IMO it can be absolutely fantastic but can also be complete dross.

Got to be lucky.

My best time there was in about 1999 when the staff were genuinely convinced that my missus was Debbie Harry from Blondie (who had just headlined) and we were her entourage. The piano player froze and couldn't play any more as he was so star struck  :)

I've now got the image of people in New York asking Debbie "Are you Mrs Sawdustysurfer?"

• Upvote 1

There aren't many things where I'd say someone's really doing glastonbury wrong but queuing is one of them. Give or take the occasional time-based thing or tasty foods obvs.

Stumbled onto the back of the queue for this one night, had a better time giggling at the nutters that were queue entertainment and the flow of confused people than I ever could have had waiting in that static line and went on my way. Far too much else to do

NYCD is kinda proving my fear of what would happen, meh. It's a filter.

The queue was bad at times - once its full its very slow for people to get in. Got there on Friday immediately after Chems and joined the queue but it wasn't open so when it opened a few mins later, all who were queuing got in. None of the fuss on the door about whether you were 'cut out for this' crap this year. Tom Baker of the house band The Bohemianauts was compere as usual (top band btw). The piano player was on a revolving floor that was often peddled around by a bike attached to the drive. The eclectic bunch of performers were hit and miss, but deliberately so I suspect. Occasionally people were put In Gaol for talking or taking too many pics. I got away with this one.

20190630_010740.jpg

Went once in '16. Weird to say the least. We queued for what felt like forever. The bouncer/security on the door kept shouting if anyone had any lines of coke they could jump the queue. I think everyone was too paranoid to start dishing out bumps/lines in what was now broad day light.

We waited by the exit I believe and a very nice Irish lady told us to be patient and she let us in the side door. Great experience and some really once in a life time sights but not sure i'd go back in a hurry.

20 hours ago, verrymerry said:

I'm glad its moved although sounds like not by much. It's a great find but definitely not worth queueing for, there's so much other stuff to do. It was very entertaining when we went (not this year) and ME showed up ?

Didn't go this year, but I'm guessing they've maybe not moved it at all (due to the tunnels being concrete) but have maybe a different route to access it? Though is that actually possible... There's a bit of a lake above where the normal route is / dragon area seemed properly fenced off.

Ah well, may try going 7/8am some time as suggested - only previously been as part of late night previously and wasn't bothering (capable?) with late nights this year ?

23 hours ago, Owen4567 said:

I finally found the underground piano bar on Sunday night but there was a ridiculously long queue. We were told that people had queued up for 3 hours the night before to get in.

I quickly left and stumbled upon The Magic Teapot in the Greenfields. There was an incredible party atmosphere and singalong going on in there around the piano. The best things at Glastonbury are without doubt the random things you stumble across not the things you queue for.

Dont even get me started on the crazy queue lengths for NYC Downlow. 

Sounds like you got lucky. The things you queue for because "they're supposed to be amazing" usually aren't, and the random, unplanned thing you found is. The atmosphere you found in the magic teapot sounds just like what the pianobar should be (and maybe is I have no idea) but without people standing around asking themselves "when does the magic start"

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

It wasn't really underground this year either. Previously it has been buried in the side of the hill at the top of Dragon's, but this year it was essentially at the top of the woods that divide Dragon's and King's.

It's only ever been two thick tunnels to go through anyway, never really underground. As you say if you went to the walkway behind be Dragon which used to be open via a further up hill in stone circle fence opening but wasn't this year then finding it wasn't hard.

29 minutes ago, e_p said:

Found it Thursday evening. Was told to duck off by a load of Irish guys semi jokingly as it wasn’t finished yet.  Came back Saturday night. 90 min queue so gave up. 

It's not worth waiting for to get in, it's just a small straw barn virtually with a stage and piano.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

It's only ever been two thick tunnels to go through anyway, never really underground. 

In the early days it used to be in the Green Crafts Field. No concrete tunnels to get in, much much smaller and it was much more underground. 

Even since it moved the concrete drainpipe/s are a fairly recent innovation.

I got in one year. Just walked in. The friends I was with did not play it cool and got bounced, so I left after half an hour to catch up with them.

I enjoy the secrecy of it, but if it was just a regular bar at the fest, it wouldn't be nearly so legendary.

I went in this year, finally! :) Left temple when the music stopped at 6am and convinced my friend it was worth going for a gander. In previous years the queue has always been massive, but we got there around 6.30am and walked right in. Delightfully bonkers, and I had no clue what was going on. Rotating piano, drunk people doing inaudible things on stage, some dudes with fiddles. Lots of confused looking punters sitting around. If it hadn't have been hotter than the sun in there I would have stayed longer, although I'm not sure my mate appreciated it anywhere near as much as I did (probably because he hasn't been trying to find it/get in for 3-4 years)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

In the early days it used to be in the Green Crafts Field. No concrete tunnels to get in, much much smaller and it was much more underground. 

Even since it moved the concrete drainpipe/s are a fairly recent innovation.

Yes, I remember going there when Jools Holland played back around then.

We thought we found the entrance on the Wednesday night just behind the dragon but there was a bit metal fence blocking what we thought was the entrance and so assumed it was closed that night. Never got back to the Stone Circle so still don't know if I was right or not!