The underground piano bar

Glastomemory

So I was relaxing at the stone circle around 8am Saturday morning when I kept noticing people coming and going from behind a metal fence.  I decided to have a nose and stumbled across the bar. Walked in through a dark tunnel and what I saw next will stay with me forever. A group of Irish lads. One was ‘the king’ telling people to kneel before him and if you didn’t you got thrown in jail. The others were singing (terribly) and acting out plays and telling tales about the tea man. None of it made any sense at all but at that time and the with my mind being in the state it was at that time. The place blew me away. 

We also went back that night about 4 am and queued up for 1.5 hours to get in and there was an Albanian Romany folk singing lady on. 

This was also very surreal. Does anyone know the name of her ?

I would also love to hear anyone else’s memories from here. 

Btw this was by far the best Glastonbury I’ve attended

loved it 

6 minutes ago, Glastomemory said:

So I was relaxing at the stone circle around 8am Saturday morning when I kept noticing people coming and going from behind a metal fence.  I decided to have a nose and stumbled across the bar. Walked in through a dark tunnel and what I saw next will stay with me forever. A group of Irish lads. One was ‘the king’ telling people to kneel before him and if you didn’t you got thrown in jail. The others were singing (terribly) and acting out plays and telling tales about the tea man. None of it made any sense at all but at that time and the with my mind being in the state it was at that time. The place blew me away. 

An Ari Aster Film

• Upvote 1

It was in an ever so slightly different location this year to the last time I went.  Got in on Monday morning just before sunrise and saw a Turkish folk singer and a couple of Irish guys with an acoustic guitar.

It was a nice end to the festival.  Still going strong at about 6am when we left. 

13 minutes ago, Glastomemory said:

We also went back that night about 4 am and queued up for 1.5 hours to get in and there was an Albanian Romany folk singing lady on. 

This was also very surreal. Does anyone know the name of her ?

I would also love to hear anyone else’s memories from here. 

Btw this was by far the best Glastonbury I’ve attended

loved it 

My friend was in there on Saturday / Sunday morning.  She said an Irish group came talking to them when they were at the Stone Circle. They persuaded them to go for a walk. They then went in a gap in the fence, She was convinced she had gone "off site". Had security chasing them. She had done quite a bit of ket and was confused.  She said it was mad. We were at Block 9 getting some very strange texts,

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My friend was in there on Saturday / Sunday morning.  She said an Irish group came talking to them when they were at the Stone Circle. They persuaded them to go for a walk. They then went in a gap in the fence, She was convinced she had gone "off site". Had security chasing them. She had done quite a bit of ket and was confused.  She said it was mad. We were at Block 9 getting some very strange texts,

Haha. I can understand the feeling of being off site. I hope she enjoyed it 

Never been in all my Glastonburys.  

Like all these 'secret' things I'd love to do them one day but a 1.5 hour queue?! Bugger that it's the worlds best festival and thats 1.5 hours I'll never get back.

Does sound great though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Glastomemory said:

Do it man. You will not be disappointed. Most memorable and weirdest time I’ve ever had there. 

Just got to find the damn place first.

3 minutes ago, dccool said:

Like all these 'secret' things I'd love to do them one day but a 1.5 hour queue?! Bugger that it's the worlds best festival and thats 1.5 hours I'll never get back.

Does sound great though.

At a decent time!

4 minutes ago, dccool said:

Does sound great though.

Sounds like the 1.5 hour queue is a thing of the past and they're now having to recruit folk in - which isn't that surprising given the rep that the place acquired a few years back.

We were at the stone circle on Sunday evening when a red land rover drove past and stopped at the top of the hill. We walked up and Michael Eavis got out,we asked for a picture cause it was my girlfriend's birthday but he looked very distracted and ignored us and went through the fence towards the bar. A gang of fellas lying on the grass then told us the bar was closed!

IMG_20190630_192103.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've been there a couple of times over the years and as far as I can see, it wouldn't be considered that special other than for the fact that it's secret.  This year, we wandered up there a couple of times before it had opened and on the last occasion, we were met by what can only be described as a bunch of Piano Bar nerds queueing for what they believed was going to be the opening.  They couldn't have been more pathetic, making painfully smug "oh we're just sitting here for the view - there's nothing special around here" type comments.  The chief nerd then got panicky when I walked up to the thing that they claimed they weren't queueing for.  I can't be arsed to waste my time in a queue, and certainly not with a bunch of smug gits.  I think the piano bar is a victim of its own success - keeping a regular venue 'secret' results in a large percentage of the attendees being people determined to prove they're in on the secret.  You can have a much more relaxed, amiable time in non-secret venues like the Small World stage etc.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sounds like the 1.5 hour queue is a thing of the past and they're now having to recruit folk in - which isn't that surprising given the rep that the place acquired a few years back.

Nah there was definitely still a (long) queue every time I walked by it.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

might be able to get up there in the morning ? does it not shut then ? how many people does it hold ? 

We walked straight in at 8am didn’t leave until around 10.30 still people in there. Holds about 80 I’ve heard. 

49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Quite....do they still have the fellas on the door that turn you away if you don't 'fit' whatever criteria they make up as they go along? 

I wouldn't queue for anything at Glastonbury that had any kind of policy....it hardly upholds the inclusivity that you find everywhere else on site. 

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Quite....do they still have the fellas on the door that turn you away if you don't 'fit' whatever criteria they make up as they go along? 

I wouldn't queue for anything at Glastonbury that had any kind of policy....it hardly upholds the inclusivity that you find everywhere else on site. 

Had no problem with anyone on the door. Quite the opposite. Made the queuing enjoyable by entertaining everyone there.