Mallets or Thatchers?

Padgey

Mallets or Thatchers?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

Mallets, Thatchers, Carlsberg. It’s all piss water. So much choice out there these days and these are the options. Got excited when I saw a bar called “Tap House” near Leftfield. Carlsberg, Thatchers and then 3/4 manky, flat “real” ales. Where’s the IPA’s? Where’s any sort of choice at all? 

• Downvote 1

I didn’t like Mallets which was an absolute pain in the arse because I don’t drink beer either so it meant my options for a nice cold pint we’re extremely limited. 

Plus it meant that on the Thursday sat at West Holts, I was drinking a pint of Brothers for every pint of beer/Mallets that the rest of the group were drinking. Let’s just say that one of us was SIGNIFICANTLY more drunk than the rest by the time we left that area...

16 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Mallets, Thatchers, Carlsberg. It’s all piss water. So much choice out there these days and these are the options. Got excited when I saw a bar called “Tap House” near Leftfield. Carlsberg, Thatchers and then 3/4 manky, flat “real” ales. Where’s the IPA’s? Where’s any sort of choice at all? 

Craft IPA and Weiss on draft in the theatre field bar.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I'd been caught with that last time. If they didn't have all the trappings of some "craft beer" place, and just emblazoned "BAR" it would have been fine, but I felt tricked.

And did you see those quotes on the wall? Really embarrassing stuff that you'd see in a town centre "Irish pub", or on a student's "funny" t-shirt. Particularly excruciating after spending a night in Shangri-la!

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd been caught with that last time. If they didn't have all the trappings of some "craft beer" place, and just emblazoned "BAR" it would have been fine, but I felt tricked.

And did you see those quotes on the wall? Really embarrassing stuff that you'd see in a town centre "Irish pub", or on a student's "funny" t-shirt. Particularly excruciating after spending a night in Shangri-la!

I think the fact it was nearly 30 degrees outside and there was no one in the place tells it’s own story. It felt like when a Wetherspoons tries to hide that it’s Wetherspoons. 

8 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I think the fact it was nearly 30 degrees outside and there was no one in the place tells it’s own story. It felt like when a Wetherspoons tries to hide that it’s Wetherspoons. 

Exactly. Reading back, I think I saw a different one on the market area between Other and Pyramid, Silver Hayes side. There were at least two of the fuckers and they were both far too plastic for Glastonbury.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Only slightly relevant, but:

I bought a small bottle of Brothers Toffee Apple flavour on a whim today just after lunchtime.

I can still smell and taste that syrup a good ten hours later, despite having had a few vodka and cokes and a good amount of wine since (been to a wedding).

On 7/6/2019 at 12:43 AM, Rubber Soldier said:

Stood in a farmers field in the middle of nowhere and you start with the sort of argument you hear from a CAMRA group in your local pub???

Malletts was more than ok, shifted plenty over the weekend and no complaints.

My only complaint is the diffent prices at bars. Pissed me off that.

Only went to the Avalon inn once, six quid was a piss take. Oh yeah, the medium sweet from the cider bus wasn’t that sweet either.  

WE NEED PENNARD WINE BACK NEXT YEAR. Xx

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Only slightly relevant, but:

I bought a small bottle of Brothers Toffee Apple flavour on a whim today just after lunchtime.

I can still smell and taste that syrup a good ten hours later, despite having had a few vodka and cokes and a good amount of wine since (been to a wedding).

I picked up 3 bottles in the supermarket yesterday and was nearly at the till when I realised it was 4%! I nearly launched them across the supermarket in disgust. I buy brothers for the % not the fucking taste. Back to the K it was

2 minutes ago, OG said:

I picked up 3 bottles in the supermarket yesterday and was nearly at the till when I realised it was 4%! I nearly launched them across the supermarket in disgust. I buy brothers for the % not the fucking taste. Back to the K it was

A lucky escape. It's sickly. The first time I tried it I was impressed by how much it tasted like an actual toffee apple. I wanted that experience again.

The percentage and solo bottle also influenced my decision to buy. Knew I had to drive a few hours later.

(The vodka and wine were imbibed later. Out of spite for not being able to drink properly at a wedding. Ffs.).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

A lucky escape. It's sickly. The first time I tried it I was impressed by how much it tasted like an actual toffee apple. I wanted that experience again.

The percentage and solo bottle also influenced my decision to buy. Knew I had to drive a few hours later.

(The vodka and wine were imbibed later. Out of spite for not being able to drink properly at a wedding. Ffs.).

Top Tip. Toffee Apple Brothers with a good glug of homemade Werthers vodka really hits the spot

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Thatchers Haze is the real winner here 

Anything is better than that repulsive vinegar they churn out at the cider bus (ducks for cover) 

Is this a wind up? Mallets was very meh. Thatchers is just about drinkable. Brothers is far too sweet and fizzy. Cider Bus is lovely and the only way to start the day.

• Like 1

Cider bus VINEGAR are you joking.  That's proper cider not the shit with sweeteners etc.  I usually drink Thatchers Cheddar Valley or cider bus Burrow Hill (bit of a drive to get that though)  you can also visit the cider bus on the farm and have a taste of the cider.  It's at a small village Kingsbury Episcopi.  Not very far from Yeovil.  

13 minutes ago, Cheddar Valley said:

Cider bus VINEGAR are you joking.  That's proper cider not the shit with sweeteners etc.  I usually drink Thatchers Cheddar Valley or cider bus Burrow Hill (bit of a drive to get that though)  you can also visit the cider bus on the farm and have a taste of the cider.  It's at a small village Kingsbury Episcopi.  Not very far from Yeovil.  

Did anyone else notice that there doesn't seem to be any Burrow Hill branding on the cider bus or the cups? Seems odd to me.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Whoever on here that recommended getting a half and half from Burrow Hill definitely improved my cider bus experience.

It's the kind of thing I'd say and I did recommend it at the festival itself, but I don't remember posting it on here.

But let's just pretend it was me anyway ;)

Found Mallets went down pretty easy.

Hadn't tried it before the festival & when people were comparing it to Strongbow on here I was pretty concerned.

Glad to say it was no where near that bad. Would happily order it in a pub if I saw it. Sadly where I live most pubs have strongbow as the only cider option :(