Glastonbury 2020 accomodation

Calmore

Hi All,

I'm planning on going to Glastonbury 2020..I have been saying that for years, but I feel lucky! 

There have been lots of posts about thefts from tents this year - even when people were sleeping in the tents they were having all their stuff nicked! I was planning on taking most of my food+beer with me, because the on site prices seem exorbitant, but obviously if I leave it in the tent it's almost bound to get stolen.

The obvious solution is to leave it locked in a car, but you cant park anywhere near your tents and people I have spoken to say you can't easily get access to and from the car parks.

So, are there any campsites nearby, that allow parking next to your tent, with a shuttle bus nearby? Any B&Bs? Bath and West Showground looks ideal, but it seems they don't allow tents!

Any ideas? :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much - it's easy to get nervous after reading about tent thefts but it really is few and far between, I've been 5 times and I've never had anything nicked. Lock ups are also available so you can also lock surplus items in there and then visit it daily to get stuff out.

Staying off site is such a mission - that's why no one really does it, plus the fact that you really miss out on the whole glasto experience. If you are that worried then hiring a campervan might be a better option - my parents stay up in the campervan field and it is lovely and chilled up there!

Or check out the pre errected tent fields, such as Tangerine Fields, I used them at Bestival and they were ace. You need a wrist band to get in and there is 24 hour security which gives you a bit of piece of mind.

• Upvote 1

If you leave a case of beer in your porch, it might get nicked (probably won't) but the tip we lived by when we camped was leave your tent messy, so we just broke our cases of beer up, cans under the porch ground sheet over night to cool them and then the rest just strewn about the place. If you are super paranoid you could even get your days drinking in a bag and leave the rest in one of the lockups.

Tent thefts are actually few and far between so probability says you'll be fine - by no means is your stuff almost bound to be stolen. Off site camping is a bit of a mission, we do stay at Bath and West in our Trailer Tent and are accepting of "the mission".

Please use the lockups, they are all over and take everything. They're free to use but please make a donation.

You can leave things in your tent, but anything you don't want to lose, stick in a lockup.

I think people who are on the rob are looking for more valuable & portable stuff than crates of warm beer (stuff like phones, wallets, etc), but of course that's not to say some chancer wouldn't steal it given the opportunity. You can stash crates of beer in the free lockups along with your valuables.

If you stay at Worthy View the car park is right next to the campsite, which makes retrieving stuff from the car a lot easier. However the 2 major drawbacks are the extra expense, and the hill - depends on how fit you are. I'm overweight and out of shape and found it brutal after wandering around in the sun all day this year. Either way you'd probably not want to go back up there until bedtime once you've set out for the day.

I have been 10 times, my husband 18, and neither of us has ever had anything stolen.

We use the lock ups for values and I have been known to put a few tins and a jumper in there but that’s just to save me the walk back to my tent more than anything!

I always have enough cereal bars etc. for breakfast/snacks and enough tins/spirits (for the festivals when I’ve been drinking) to last the full 5 days (we collect the whole lot from our car on the Wednesday so it’s out of the way as the car park is a bit of a distance to the tent usually). 

Your OP sounds a bit like my grandmother, all worrying about what's not really an issue. Glasto is by far one of the safest fests. If  you want to worry suggest you try angsting on the likelihood of getting a ticket for next year.