NFR NFC for 2020

deebeedoobee

Hello everyone. I have bad news. My big sister died on Thursday. She collapsed when she got to work, unconscious, turns out she had a massive blood clot and several heart attacks. She died a few hours later in hospital. She was 53. I’m being well looked after by lovely friends. It all feels so surreal though. Please check up on me now and then, I need a bit of assistance at the moment. Love you all xxx

21 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Hello everyone. I have bad news. My big sister died on Thursday. She collapsed when she got to work, unconscious, turns out she had a massive blood clot and several heart attacks. She died a few hours later in hospital. She was 53. I’m being well looked after by lovely friends. It all feels so surreal though. Please check up on me now and then, I need a bit of assistance at the moment. Love you all xxx

Oh Lucy, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you're getting all the cuddles and love from your friends...they sound great. But we are all of course also still here for you too. Much love to you and your close ones xxxx

33 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Oh sweetheart I'm so so sorry to hear this. Poor you, such a dreadful shock for you... My heart goes out to you and your loved ones xx

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Big big hugs from us in Pilton Lucy. We're only a phone call away ❤xx

5 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Oh Lucy, what a shock, so so sorry to hear that and all the hugs being sent virtually to you and your family and friends. Take the time to be kind to yourself, take all the hugs, and reach out whenever you need a virtual cuddle or a sound off. Take care xxx

Hi @lucyginger

I'm so sorry to read about your loss; life can be so harsh on the best of people. 

I'm glad your friends are taking care of you, and I know you know that we're all here in this virtual world for you too. 

Take care of yourself, there isn't much I can say that's hasn't been said or that will make a difference, but keep going, try to keep your chin up and if there is anything that can be done to aid anything please let me know. 

Morning all

Back at work today to a silent corporate office when all I want to be is in my PJs on the sofa nibbling cheese :-). Having said that some normality is nice after 2 days of loading the dishwasher and constant entertaining of visitors :-).

I'm going to wander for a walk in the r&(&* soon for a gift the the r^&n gods

FFx

Hello everyone. I know I don’t post here that often but I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I spent my first with family & god parents in the UK for the first time in about 5 years. I usually escape & go travelling. I really enjoyed it.

Today is a strange day, I’ve not got a lot to do that I can’t do tomorrow or I’ve done it already this morning.

It’s a strange limbo between Xmas & NYE.

Anyone have any exciting plans for NYE? I’m still trying to decide what I can or should do. Tempted to have a quiet one & save money or sod it & go all out to have say I did something/have some memories of finishing off this decade.

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

Hello everyone. I know I don’t post here that often but I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I spent my first with family & god parents in the UK for the first time in about 5 years. I usually escape & go travelling. I really enjoyed it.

Today is a strange day, I’ve not got a lot to do that I can’t do tomorrow or I’ve done it already this morning.

It’s a strange limbo between Xmas & NYE.

Anyone have any exciting plans for NYE? I’m still trying to decide what I can or should do. Tempted to have a quiet one & save money or sod it & go all out to have say I did something/have some memories of finishing off this decade.

Hello Bisque,

The last of our Christmas guests left a little earlier today, so we're just having a few gentle G & T's and the occasional line. I think we're both happy with being in this limbo land status, after a fairly frenetic Xmas. We had some friends over for the Xmas Day meal, and then another troop arrived for the evening session. Lots of drink, pills, potions, and one mate brought his DJ decks, so there was a lot of music and dancing too. It was great to see everybody having a good time, but we're really enjoying the down time.

I don't actually like going out on New Years Eve, but we are duty bound to do so this year. Another friend has insisted that we go out with him, and also insisted that he would pay for every drink throughout the night. That could tun out to be very expensive for him. Where we are, they kick everybody out of the pubs and restaurants at 20 minutes to midnight, then there's some sort of parade around town, with people banging saucepans and anything they can get their hands on. Not sure when or why this tradition started, but it'll be our first time attending,  and has the potential to be fun. The down side is that I hate (with a vengeance) packed pubs where you can't sit down and have a drink and a chat. If it turns out to be like that then I really don't know how I'll cope.  Personally I'd sooner stay in, but hey ho!

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Bisque,

The last of our Christmas guests left a little earlier today, so we're just having a few gentle G & T's and the occasional line. I think we're both happy with being in this limbo land status, after a fairly frenetic Xmas. We had some friends over for the Xmas Day meal, and then another troop arrived for the evening session. Lots of drink, pills, potions, and one mate brought his DJ decks, so there was a lot of music and dancing too. It was great to see everybody having a good time, but we're really enjoying the down time.

I don't actually like going out on New Years Eve, but we are duty bound to do so this year. Another friend has insisted that we go out with him, and also insisted that he would pay for every drink throughout the night. That could tun out to be very expensive for him. Where we are, they kick everybody out of the pubs and restaurants at 20 minutes to midnight, then there's some sort of parade around town, with people banging saucepans and anything they can get their hands on. Not sure when or why this tradition started, but it'll be our first time attending,  and has the potential to be fun. The down side is that I hate (with a vengeance) packed pubs where you can't sit down and have a drink and a chat. If it turns out to be like that then I really don't know how I'll cope.  Personally I'd sooner stay in, but hey ho!

I’m 100% with you on the must go out & paying extortionate prices like £10 to get into a pub but I guess the demand is there.

I’d rather have a small gathering mini house party where you actually sit down, drink actually what you want & catch up with mates. Did it one year where we climbed a hill near Richmond, took a bag of cans & watched all the fireworks going off across London.

I’d love to join you banging saucepans, sounds like a good thing to get involved in & see, you’ll never forget that.

I’ve been invited to a couple of things which I know will cost a fortune & potentially lose me some brain cells so debating in my head what to do.

Sounds like your Xmas was a wild one, as I said I spent it with family.

Last year NYE I was in a random strangers house on their balcony getting loose on duty free vodka, free balloons, right slap bang in the middle of Koh San Road. Flew back home in the afternoon & was refused boarding on my Emirates flight. Bought a coffee but filled it with Guiness & they let me on.

33 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I’m 100% with you on the must go out & paying extortionate prices like £10 to get into a pub but I guess the demand is there.

I’d rather have a small gathering mini house party where you actually sit down, drink actually what you want & catch up with mates. Did it one year where we climbed a hill near Richmond, took a bag of cans & watched all the fireworks going off across London.

I’d love to join you banging saucepans, sounds like a good thing to get involved in & see, you’ll never forget that.

I’ve been invited to a couple of things which I know will cost a fortune & potentially lose me some brain cells so debating in my head what to do.

Sounds like your Xmas was a wild one, as I said I spent it with family.

Last year NYE I was in a random strangers house on their balcony getting loose on duty free vodka, free balloons, right slap bang in the middle of Koh San Road. Flew back home in the afternoon & was refused boarding on my Emirates flight. Bought a coffee but filled it with Guiness & they let me on.

That coffee / Guiness trick is genius. Me and my wife once managed to get on a plane whilst already considerably drunk, and then managed to spend another £150 on drink on the plane, and it was only a four hour journey. Well, I say £150 on drink when it was only £130. The reason for this is that after we bought the first round my wife (who mate was an ex air hostess) said give the stewardess a £20 tip on the first round, which I did. This ensured that despite us both getting in to a ridiculous state on board, we were not refused any further drinks. That said, we only went mad in our own heads. It's the people who shout and get boisterous that get refused further drink.

15 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That coffee / Guiness trick is genius. Me and my wife once managed to get on a plane whilst already considerably drunk, and then managed to spend another £150 on drink on the plane, and it was only a four hour journey. Well, I say £150 on drink when it was only £130. The reason for this is that after we bought the first round my wife (who mate was an ex air hostess) said give the stewardess a £20 tip on the first round, which I did. This ensured that despite us both getting in to a ridiculous state on board, we were not refused any further drinks. That said, we only went mad in our own heads. It's the people who shout and get boisterous that get refused further drink.

Always, always be nice to cabin crew. As former crew it really makes a difference someone coming to the galley for a chat during down time when everyone is asleep but you have to stay up (I only worked long haul). Chances are they’ve been to your destination hundreds of times before & give great recommendations on what to do & the best but cheap places to eat.

My flight to BKK this month I was upgraded, got three amenity kits (which came in handy for mates who constantly lost stuff) & as much drink & double lunch just because I made an effort not to use the call bell & actually meet the crew. I always ask for a “how was our service” card thingy. Got £400 voucher for saying how amazing the crew (used their names) & service was.

I always make sure I’m seated near the galley on an aisle seat even if it is a bit noisier.

Crew aren’t just there to serve you, they are their for FAA safety regs. If not Ryanair would have got rid of cabin crew years ago.

The worst passengers were the ones that mixed diazepam/valium with too much booze in the airport before boarding. I liked working in Business as everyone just falls asleep for tomorrows board meeting.

The company I worked for were pretty strict on alcohol consumption, always keeping a check on passengers just in case & letting other crew know not to serve them. Saying that a day flight to Vegas just goes out the wing. If you want drink & you sit down watch your film & not cause a fuss, it didn’t bother us. I could tell you some amazing stories about crew and pax from my flying days.

Edited by Bisque

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

Always, always be nice to cabin crew. As former crew it really makes a difference someone coming to the galley for a chat during down time when everyone is asleep but you have to stay up (I only worked long haul). Chances are they’ve been to your destination hundreds of times before & give great recommendations on what to do & the best but cheap places to eat.

My flight to BKK this month I was upgraded, got three amenity kits (which came in handy for mates who constantly lost stuff) & as much drink & double lunch just because I made an effort not to use the call bell & actually meet the crew. I always ask for a “how was our service” card thingy. Got £400 voucher for saying how amazing the crew (used their names) & service was.

I always make sure I’m seated near the galley on an aisle seat even if it is a bit noisier.

Crew aren’t just there to serve you, they are their for FAA safety regs. If not Ryanair would have got rid of cabin crew years ago.

The worst passengers were the ones that mixed diazepam/valium with too much booze in the airport before boarding. I liked working in Business as everyone just falls asleep for tomorrows board meeting.

The company I worked for were pretty strict on alcohol consumption, always keeping a check on passengers just in case & letting other crew know not to serve them. Saying that a day flight to Vegas just goes out the wing. If you want drink & you sit down watch your film & not cause a fuss, it didn’t bother us. I could tell you some amazing stories about crew and pax from my flying days.

I've been lucky to have flown Business Class a fair number of times, and very cheaply too. The reason for this is that one of my friends works for BA, and it's in his staff perks to get such deals, if space is available in that class. However, on all those occasions I have never abused the free drink scenario, because I wouldn't have wanted him to get bad press at work, had I gone off on one. There was a moment in my life when it would be fair to say that I was out of control with both drink and drugs. During that time we had a Business Class trip to Mexico, and I promised not to drink (at all) on the plane, and not to seek out drugs in Mexico. Well, the not drinking on the plane was a challenge, but I managed it. However, one night after we had arrived, we were going out for a meal, and the two mates I was with (recently married, as husband and husband) rushed on ahead of me because it was pissing it down and night time. I'm not sure why but I kind of was a fair bit behind them. I walked on to this timber sidewalk outside a set of shops, and saw a Mexican (complete with poncho and a sombrero fitted so that he could see nothing, as he was looking down) just sat down leaning against a wall with his feet out before him. As I neared him, he never even looked up, and then stated 'Hey gringo. Do you want something you want, but don't really need'? There was no doubt in my mind that he was on about coke. So there I was with a pocket full of pesos and dollars, being asked if I wanted the cheapest and purest coke that I was ever going to get. However, I remembered that I'd promised my mates not to get involved with drugs while over there. Talk about being 'torn'. In the end, I left it and said 'No thanks' to the bloke. Do I regret that decision? You bet your fucking life I do!  lol.

44 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've been lucky to have flown Business Class a fair number of times, and very cheaply too. The reason for this is that one of my friends works for BA, and it's in his staff perks to get such deals, if space is available in that class. However, on all those occasions I have never abused the free drink scenario, because I wouldn't have wanted him to get bad press at work, had I gone off on one. There was a moment in my life when it would be fair to say that I was out of control with both drink and drugs. During that time we had a Business Class trip to Mexico, and I promised not to drink (at all) on the plane, and not to seek out drugs in Mexico. Well, the not drinking on the plane was a challenge, but I managed it. However, one night after we had arrived, we were going out for a meal, and the two mates I was with (recently married, as husband and husband) rushed on ahead of me because it was pissing it down and night time. I'm not sure why but I kind of was a fair bit behind them. I walked on to this timber sidewalk outside a set of shops, and saw a Mexican (complete with poncho and a sombrero fitted so that he could see nothing, as he was looking down) just sat down leaning against a wall with his feet out before him. As I neared him, he never even looked up, and then stated 'Hey gringo. Do you want something you want, but don't really need'? There was no doubt in my mind that he was on about coke. So there I was with a pocket full of pesos and dollars, being asked if I wanted the cheapest and purest coke that I was ever going to get. However, I remembered that I'd promised my mates not to get involved with drugs while over there. Talk about being 'torn'. In the end, I left it and said 'No thanks' to the bloke. Do I regret that decision? You bet your fucking life I do!  lol.

Ahhh the good old stand by! Done this plenty of times, god parents & dad worked abroad, as my mom was BA crew before BA existed (they have repainted some of their planes in the old liveries which I keep an eye out for as I want to fly a 747 before they get retired: four engines = bad economy).

Once flew to HKB to visit my god father, had to sit in the jump seat in the flight deck all the way there! This was back when Kai Tak was still the main airport, I was a lucky bugger! Flew back first class. You could watch people put their laundry out to dry whilst flaring in from Chequerboard Hill. I’d shit myself doing that in a Cessna.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

I’ve not abused drugs abroad for a while. The odd toke in Europe & Asia but only off people I trust that work or I’m sightseeing with in hostels. Anything off the street in my opinion isn’t worth the hassle & potential. Was offered opium multiple times by our hostel receptionist in Laos, even on pizza. I don’t fancy being one of the Bali Nine.

Edit: You should go to Copenhagen, Christiania is quite cool.

Edited by Bisque

12 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Ahhh the good old stand by! Done this plenty of times as my mom was BA crew before BA existed (they have repainted some of their planes in the old liveries which I keep an eye out for as I want to fly a 747 before they get retired: four engines = bad economy).

Once flew to HKB to visit my god father, had to sit in the jump seat in the flight deck all the way there! This was back when Kai Tak was still the main airport, I was a lucky bugger! Flew back first class. You could watch people put their laundry out to dry whilst flaring in from Chequerboard Hill. I’d shit myself doing that in a Cessna.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

I’ve not abused drugs abroad for a while. The odd toke in Europe & Asia but only off people I trust that work or I’m sightseeing with in hostels. Anything off the street in my opinion isn’t worth the hassle & potential. Was offered opium multiple times by our hostel receptionist in Laos, even on pizza. I don’t fancy being one of the Bali Nine.

Edit: You should go to Copenhagen, Christiania is quite cool.

I flew to Ireland with mates on a BA plane in the 1980's, and remember being able to smoke on the plane, which even had ash trays next to each seat. I guess that would have had the livery you talk about.

I've never done First Class, but live in hope.

Me and the afor mentioned mates smoked opium in a mountain top village in Chiang Mai. We each took it in turns to lie down next to the village elder, and pass the pipe from him to one of us, to him etc. However, they wouldn't allow us to really go for it, because they didn't want us to get too wrecked and be responsible for us. 

I've been to the Far east a fair few times, but have yet to get to Laos, but it's on my hit list. I took my wife to the Far East for her first time in March / April of this year. We took in Thailand (Bangkok only),  Cambodia, and a complete tour from south to north of Vietnam. She absolutely loved it, and is as now as keen as me to get back out there. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I flew to Ireland with mates on a BA plane in the 1980's, and remember being able to smoke on the plane, which even had ash trays next to each seat. I guess that would have had the livery you talk about.

I've never done First Class, but live in hope.

Me and the afor mentioned mates smoked opium in a mountain top village in Chiang Mai. We each took it in turns to lie down next to the village elder, and pass the pipe from him to one of us, to him etc. However, they wouldn't allow us to really go for it, because they didn't want us to get too wrecked and be responsible for us. 

I've been to the Far east a fair few times, but have yet to get to Laos, but it's on my hit list. I took my wife to the Far East for her first time in March / April of this year. We took in Thailand (Bangkok only),  Cambodia, and a complete tour from south to north of Vietnam. She absolutely loved it, and is as now as keen as me to get back out there. 

You aren’t missing out much in Laos to be honest, I preferred all the places you’ve mentioned. Myanmar is apparently the next place to go to before tourism ruins it.

I’ve done South Thailand islands so was really nice to take my gf to Chaing Mai to see the elephants (we did the ethical thing, no riding). I loved Cambodia, did Siem Reap down to Koh Rong Samloem for Xmas, the usual. Kampot was strangely my favourite.

Also did the Top Gear Vietnam trip too. 

I used to live in North Malaysia on the Thai border... I would recommend Malaysia but it’s a Muslim country so you can’t do what you can do further North & Singapore is cool but it’s like London but warmer. BUT... Perhentian Islands are absolute bliss though.

If you save up a little, not a lot, but just a little more, & you are taking your other half, go to Bali. Changgu, Ubud, Nusa Lembongan, party like mad in Gilli T, Kuta is like a whole town of Koh San. Got flights for £400 with Singapore airlines. Just go when the Aussies aren’t there!

edit: ever wonder why there are still ash trays in the toilets of aeroplanes? Well it’s better having a cheeky smoke on a flight & putting it in there than the waste basket with the flippy lid full of toilet paper! If you look closely in the those flippy hand towel bins you’ll notice a little nipple covered in rubber. It’s not rubber, it’s wax, if it melts because some selfish asshole has had a cigarette in the toilets & thrown it in the trash (full of paper!) it melts & immediately sets off a sprinkler to put it out. We used to catch at least one Upper Class person smoking per flight but as they were Gold tier members crew normally let it go. Those smoke detectors only detect accrid plastic burn.

Edited by Bisque