Lessons learned

Gabi_says

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im not far short of middle aged ... whatever that might be now :) ....  stay around here ... you will develop some rapports with people over time which makes the easing in to the meet easier ... and you dont need to post quite as often /obsesively as some either :) ..... and no problem :) 

I think that's my problem.. I over compensate and come across as some kind of highly strung mutant .. it's really odd as in my job I was the utmost professional and confident ..god knows why I've been crippled with insecurities now... anyhow I'll still be doing  control R in October... F5 won't work on a Mac 

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

Probably the biggest lesson I’ve learnt this festival - be selective about who you’re going with - mates can make or break festival ?

We used to go with the same large group every year and had a blast. In 2011 it was clear in the run up a few weren’t feeling it as usual. They ended up moaning the whole 5 days and really put a dampener on the whole weekend. 

Long story short we go with a small group now who love the festival, some of the lads from 2011 have expressed an interest in getting tickets for next year, I told them straight we won’t be camping together! 

2 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Probably the biggest lesson I’ve learnt this festival - be selective about who you’re going with - mates can make or break festival ?

Amen. I didn’t actually have my ‘proper’ mates with me this year due to the ticket gods, I was with a mate who is probably none of my best mates and a group that are more his mates. He’s brilliant on a one off night out but found out he’s not so good just us at a festival. We have diametric tastes and he wanted to go home by about 1am every day. I still had a great time and feel blessed to have been there, but I’m reality I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I could’ve.

Wins: electrolytes work.  Steel water bottle. Silver blanket pegged between tent outer/inner made a difference in the morning heat. Leaving gate A queue after 2.5 hours in zigzags to walk right through D. 

Losses: like most years I sat on my sunglasses. Having bought earplugs didn’t wear them once. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:13 PM, wilko8 said:

Things I got right. 

Rum and ginger with lime still tastes okay when warm

New Balance trainers are really comfy

Elvana + Old dirty brasstards

Things I got wrong. 

Not taking sun cream out on Wednesday morning because it wasn’t sunny. Falling asleep in a hammock. Having to walk all the way back to CV East to get sun cream when the sun came out = sunburn

jack daniels & coke does not taste okay when warm

For next time - all the info desks have suncream, think we had either factor 30 or 50. Will save a walk! (Plus loo roll)

1 hour ago, Steveyett said:

Wins: electrolytes work.  Steel water bottle. Silver blanket pegged between tent outer/inner made a difference in the morning heat. Leaving gate A queue after 2.5 hours in zigzags to walk right through D. 

Losses: like most years I sat on my sunglasses. Having bought earplugs didn’t wear them once. 

Ignoring the stewards who tried to tell us Gate A had 1/3 of the size of the queue of D was certainly a win.  Gate D was a total breeze - pitched up in Micheals Mead by 9am 

Edited by tumbles

1 hour ago, Steveyett said:

Second time in a row I broke a pair of sunglassess at Glastonbury. But then I found a cheap pair on the ground so I'm going to call this year even. 

On 7/4/2019 at 3:49 PM, gigpusher said:

I genuinely think that you can't burn the candles at both ends. I prefer the stuff during the day and am pretty much programmed to be awake early anyway. Think my latest night was about 2am. I wish I could do both but it's just not possible. 

Things I got right - I drank enough to ensure I didn't end up dehydrated. I also had some electrolytes which helped. Got a small travel sun block which was very handy. 

Things I got wrong - packed way too much but often left things I wanted during the day back in the van. Blame it on the heat. 

I burnt the candle at both ends and just about managed it. I think over 5 days with some 'assistance' (moderate, sensible intake) it's manageable, but you need recovery time booked off work afterwards. I slept for 16 of 133 hours between Wednesday morning and Monday night, but then slept for 26 hours of 32 after getting home on Monday.

Only just feel properly recovered after rugby training on Thursday to flush out the system with some intense exercise, then another deep, long sleep last night. 

Any longer than 5 days and I would have crashed. Someone on Twitter suggested making the festival 8 days - are they trying to kill me? 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Amen. I didn’t actually have my ‘proper’ mates with me this year due to the ticket gods, I was with a mate who is probably none of my best mates and a group that are more his mates. He’s brilliant on a one off night out but found out he’s not so good just us at a festival. We have diametric tastes and he wanted to go home by about 1am every day. I still had a great time and feel blessed to have been there, but I’m reality I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I could’ve.

Exactly that. She’s my best friend, we’ve had loads of good times in the past, but not 5 full days of very overwhelming festival. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed myself, but I’d enjoy even more knowing than she was having a good time, which wasn’t the case. The tension was unreal and I started feeling bad for it. Decided to go off on my own on Saturday and it was the best night of festival for me. Helps that I bumped into my old friends quite early on, never got back till 11am next morning ✌️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

We used to go with the same large group every year and had a blast. In 2011 it was clear in the run up a few weren’t feeling it as usual. They ended up moaning the whole 5 days and really put a dampener on the whole weekend. 

Long story short we go with a small group now who love the festival, some of the lads from 2011 have expressed an interest in getting tickets for next year, I told them straight we won’t be camping together! 

It was just two of us this year, so you can imagine if one of them is not on the same level as the other it will create a bit of atmosphere. I’m gonna get bigger group for next year (tickets depending of course), cause not gonna lie, I was jealous of people having time of their life with mates, when it was me dancing about like lunatic and her sitting on the side waiting till I’m done ?

On 7/4/2019 at 7:52 PM, cidy said:

Things I got wrong

Not catching elvana 

• Snap - I finished work on Sunday night, missioned it to Truth, got there in time for the last song, and they played a Bowie number...
21 hours ago, bennyboi said:

It always bugged me that you;re told to park miles away from where you want to be, knowing that there will be space closer to the gate you want. When on the east car parks, just say your either going out or using the short stay near oxfam camping!!! They just wave your though and all the lemmings have to follow each other  to the furthest, emptiest car park. 

CAMELBACK!! Seriously, I've know this for years but they massively improve your enjoyment of the festival, especially hot ones.

• Awesome tip - I'm having that.
  • Definitely taking a camelback next time
15 minutes ago, andyhh said:

Second time in a row I broke a pair of sunglassess at Glastonbury. But then I found a cheap pair on the ground so I'm going to call this year even. 

• Snap, did exactly this. 

I also learned:

• Pitch your tent somewhere that will have early morning shade if possible.
  • Take a trolley/sack truck. I destroyed myself walking in with a huge backpack, rucksack on my front, tent in one hand and a 30kg cool box in the other. Didn't recover until I had a healing fields massage on Sunday. On the way out I found an abandoned sack truck and it made the return journey so much easier.

5 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

It was just two of us this year, so you can imagine if one of them is not on the same level as the other it will create a bit of atmosphere. I’m gonna get bigger group for next year (tickets depending of course), cause not gonna lie, I was jealous of people having time of their life with mates, when it was me dancing about like lunatic and her sitting on the side waiting till I’m done ?

Had this exact scenario last couple of times I've been. When theres only 2 of you if your not completely in sync it can be a bit awkward.

That's why we decided to camp with another group of 6 mates (although I only knew 2 of the group properly) who were 10-15 years younger than us. It made for the best ever Glastonbury and we've all decided to do the same next year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I burnt the candle at both ends and just about managed it. I think over 5 days with some 'assistance' (moderate, sensible intake) it's manageable, but you need recovery time booked off work afterwards. I slept for 16 of 133 hours between Wednesday morning and Monday night, but then slept for 26 hours of 32 after getting home on Monday.

Only just feel properly recovered after rugby training on Thursday to flush out the system with some intense exercise, then another deep, long sleep last night. 

Any longer than 5 days and I would have crashed. Someone on Twitter suggested making the festival 8 days - are they trying to kill me? 

I do the festival entirely sober, didn't even have as much coffee as normal because of the heat and I'm in my 40's so think my days of burning the candle at both ends are long behind me. 

On the earplug front I went for these this year

https://www.zoggs.com/silicone-ear-plugs

Swimming earplugs, found them surprisingly good for sleepy times. Nice and pliable because of the heat, and because they're not designed to go right in the ear canal there's less risk of unpleasantness (take note @GETOFFAMYLAWN :D )

Staying in WV it’s a bit of a game knowing how much gear to bring down with you so I used Pennards lock up as a stash point for clothing and drinks, didn’t find it too much of a pain to go back either as most of the later stuff on each day was on that side. Had it not been would have just used a different lock up.

Had a smaller bag during day for cans and a stool (for the Mrs) with it and didn’t find it too much of a hindrance, meant I had my own drink with me and also was a source of self-rationing, not a bad thing in the heat. Carried one of the GF water bottles and made sure it was topped up.

Suncream? A high factor once a day did the trick.

I always wear shorts with big pockets at festivals for safely carrying £/phone etc, I used to have some cut down combats that would take two cans in each leg pocket but they’ve long gone!

Made sure I ate enough for the mileage as well!

11 hours ago, nikkic said:

We always did something similar, friends and friends of friends, mainly to pool resources of getting there. Was useful as there was always someone at the campsite, but I couldn't imagine anything worse than trying to orgnaise a big group on staying together and seeing the same acts. Looking back, they probably all thought I was a miserable sod as would more than likely either get lost accidentally or just go off on my own, leaving it up the Gods if should bump into them at different times - usually not and wouldn't see them for a couple of days at at time lol, but was always enough random munters looking equally lost to keep you company should you felt the irrepressible urge to speak to someone

9 hours ago, kevbizarre said:

For me underestimating just how busy Thursday was. Everywhere I went it was too late to see what I wanted as the queues were huge. Better planning needed for next year if I want to see a popular act or just accept that I can’t and stop chasing. 

Is Thursday a proper (ish) festival day now? From my hazy memories I remember Wednesday being absolutely dead, Thursday not much better, maybe a bar open, then everything starts up Friday. Granted am going back 15 years or so.

1 hour ago, senor said:

Is Thursday a proper (ish) festival day now? From my hazy memories I remember Wednesday being absolutely dead, Thursday not much better, maybe a bar open, then everything starts up Friday. Granted am going back 15 years or so.

Yes I had a huge number of clashes this year. Wednesday even has some acts but that is still more a get your bearings day. Thursday basically all the small indoor and some small outdoor stages are open. This time in the evening even one of the circus tents was open. 

On 7/4/2019 at 7:52 PM, cidy said:

Things I got wrong

Assuming the apple tree Inn would be open for a few pints on Tuesday  after we set up to carry on a new tradition we started in 2017,turned out the festival paid for it to be shut ,not sure if true or not ,so got a lift to the right lion instead

Not catching elvana 

Missing beans on toast for first time at Glastonbury in years

Bloody hell it was shut??? That place was heaving in 2017 - why the earth would they shut??? as great to be able to have decent meal, few beers and the loo, totally shocked by that tbh :o

11 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Bloody hell it was shut??? That place was heaving in 2017 - why the earth would they shut??? as great to be able to have decent meal, few beers and the loo, totally shocked by that tbh :o

Food was really expensive in 2017never ate in there at those prices ,but was good for a cold pint and relax after setting up camp ,talked to a few people and they said they had a bit of trouble in 17 but wouldn't elaborate any more ?

5 hours ago, cidy said:

Food was really expensive in 2017never ate in there at those prices ,but was good for a cold pint and relax after setting up camp ,talked to a few people and they said they had a bit of trouble in 17 but wouldn't elaborate any more ?

With the food it was more the case that I made sure I ate something as I'm terrible for not eating enough which always zaps my energy levels.... so i paid for it.

It was really busy and when we were they around 8-9pm people were being rude to the staff about the food, plus at that point people had been drinking well so maybe it's the usual case of drunk people taking it a bit too far?

I'm sure maybe adding some more security would help, as they must have made a fortune that day!!