Lessons learned

Gabi_says

Deciding last minute to order a decent sack truck with chunky wheels - made life much easier and allowed for more booze and camping gear.

£2 water bottle in Asda before the festvial.

£4 rehydration tabs in chemist 

Taking Quaker’s porridge and cooking it each morning is a fuck ton cheaper than lulus cafe 

The Greenpeace stage on thurs morning 

Edited by tumbles

Things I got right

Camping in ashcombe farm car park again

Friels cider will my cider of choice from now on

Cans of gin and tonic are a great breakfast drink 

The small 10 litre rucksack which was recommended on here somewhere was ideal for my cans and spirits 

Visiting the wood to find shade on Friday 

Getting to strummerville early on Thursday

Things I got wrong

Assuming the apple tree Inn would be open for a few pints on Tuesday  after we set up to carry on a new tradition we started in 2017,turned out the festival paid for it to be shut ,not sure if true or not ,so got a lift to the right lion instead

Not catching elvana 

Missing beans on toast for first time at Glastonbury in years

Having a great wife to make sure I didn't screw up by drinking too much in the heat... 

Not trying even though I tell others not to do more than you can 

Remembering that not EVERYONE is trustworthy.. That one I have to remember.. 

8 minutes ago, cidy said:

Cans of gin and tonic are a great breakfast drin

Forgot I did this too. Took 30 cans and having a few for breakfast was much easier than trying drink Gold or Stella.

Successes

Bringing a 2.5L water bottle with handle - resulted in much less trips to the water aid kiosks

Buying 2 proper lights for the tent

Pits and bits wash kit - so much better than baby wipes

Bakewell vodka - the greatest thing on earth

Self inflatable foam mattress - so much better than an air bed

Fails

Vanilla and pineapple tequila - rank

Missing Johnny Marr to see Foals - what a dick move that was

Spending too much time wandering around 

Success:

- Switching the booze for spirits was a sage move.

- Taking an air bed and a proper pillow as opposed to; the ground and a jumper.

Failures:

- Going out after hours with people who are not "like-minded" so to speak, makes for a dull evening.

- Wearing trainers with shite ankle support and fucking my foot up totally for the last two days.

Things I got right. 

Rum and ginger with lime still tastes okay when warm

New Balance trainers are really comfy

Elvana + Old dirty brasstards

Things I got wrong. 

Not taking sun cream out on Wednesday morning because it wasn’t sunny. Falling asleep in a hammock. Having to walk all the way back to CV East to get sun cream when the sun came out = sunburn

jack daniels & coke does not taste okay when warm

7 hours ago, Bixer said:

My main takeaway from Glastonbury this year is that if I ever go again, I'm cutting my nails as shortly as I physically can on the morning I leave. So much dirt and gunk gets stuck under them that I think eliminating the possibility of that problem will just keep your hands feeling that little bit cleaner. 

This year I brought a nail brush and packets of paper soap. My hands were the cleanest they’ve ever been at a festival.

5 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

Rum and ginger with lime still tastes okay when warm

Preach, been my go to for the last 4 fests.

2 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Not taking a jumper up to the hill on Wednesday evening. Christ it was cold waiting for the fireworks 

Ditto. Bit shivery!

Figured a couple more.

A windproof is one of the most valuable things at Glastonbury, it's all quite exposed and just cutting that out turned hoodies into wonderful warmth even in strong breezes and they're tiny in your bag. The sneaky thin down jacket was just cheating but amazing too on my slow late Saturday night.

Also I have a serious and very odd issue with my self-worth/confidence which stopped me talking to anyone and finding excuses not to say hi to people I knew despite them being within arms reach. My apologies if anyone felt ignored - it's not you, it's all me. Glastonbury drove this home in a way I couldn't ignore by Saturday late night and a lot of reflection was had.

Will do better by next time.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Also I have a serious and very odd issue with my self-worth/confidence which stopped me talking to anyone and finding excuses not to say hi to people I knew despite them being within arms reach. My apologies if anyone felt ignored - it's not you, it's all me. Glastonbury drove this home in a way I couldn't ignore by Saturday late night and a lot of reflection was had.

Don't beat yourself up.

Don't pressure yourself to do "better".

:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MoilyX said:

Just in case anyone takes this literally, please be aware you can have too much water!  Don't give yourself water intoxication as that is also v. bad!

PGC queue took about 2 minutes at 12.30. Which gate did you have to queue at?

PGC at around 1ish I reckon

This is a TOP TOP TOP tip, I've been going for years and  I've only just twigged this one this year. 

It always bugged me that your told to park miles away from where you want to be, knowing that there will be space closer to the gate you want. When on the east car parks, just say your either going out or using the short stay near oxfam camping!!! They just wave your though and all the lemmings have to follow each other  to the furthest, emptiest car park. 

Also moving the car to the short stay on Sunday would be a good move. 

I learnt this one years ago but so many people were jealous or commenting on how good of an idea it was.....

CAMELBACK!! Seriously, I've know this for years but they massively improve your enjoyment of the festival, especially hot ones.

Edited by bennyboi
  • Upvote 1

Things i did well:

-Brought a parasol that was an absolute life saver
-Took the rehydration sachets every morning which definitely stopped me from getting dehydration headaches
-My vodka orange squash actually tasted surprisingly good and meant I was drinking double the water
-Buying one of those Glasto steel bottles - cool water all weekend!
-Having a fan on me to cool myself when in the v hot tents, an absolute game changer!

Things I'd change

-I'd buy one of those inflatable air mattresses. A few in our group did and it was so much more comfortable than my very thin roll-mat
-Didn't really bring enough cooler clothes for the evening - had layers for my top half but didn't bring any leggings with me, forgot about the chill in my excitement over the heat.

20 hours ago, tumbles said:

Not taking a jumper up to the hill on Wednesday evening. Christ it was cold waiting for the fireworks 

Weds evening was so cold! We were sitting in the T&C field to watch the fireworks from a distance and had to abandon that to go back to the tent to get layers. Managed to see the fireworks fro the tent at least. 

Positive things:

• had a shower for first time at the place at the bottom of Kidsfield. Had just reopened on the Sunday after water rationing so walked straight in. Felt great after the heat - would do again;
  • Walked straight through Gate A at 7 am on Thursday morning. Still great time to go for me;
  • Didn't try to rush around stages as usual - you can't see it all in fact only  a small fraction - rely upon BBC iPlayer and lie to friends if need be about you have seen; and
  • roast lamb lunch on Sunday at 1 pm with chilled rose at Deluxe Diner - assume this it what glampers have - can see this becoming a future fixture.

Not such good things:

• don't need to take 5 big power changers 2 will be fine ; and
  • don't drink so much on Thursday i.e. from 9 am through to midnight that Friday makes you question why you are at Glastonbury and wanting a dark cool place to recover.

Positive things 

1) missing out a chunk of the queue 

2) no problems with heat / drink /blood sugars ( which is bloody incredible ) ... took just the right amount of food /alcohol 

3) no major disasters ... nothing broke ( apart from lense popped out of glasses ) which I fixed 

4) No issues with neighbours although I dont think I ever have had 

Things to improve 

1) as above ... a few too many power banks 

2) back issues ... need to work on core 

3) family meet up felt like a necessity rather than something we all wanted to do 

4) 5 mins of fame ... needs to be improved 

Wins:

- Dioralite at night and berroca in the morning.

- Frank Turner Friday night

- Bringing more spirits and less beer

- Getting a free shower from ibis hotel on Monday morning before flying back to Edinburgh in the evening. 

- Winning on the games at the Unfairgfound and managing to swap a kazoo for a wolves shirt in Shangri-La.

Fails:

- Taking a box of wine which didn't really get used.

- Trying to hard to juggle different groups of friends and my gf when I did have just gone with the flow a bit more. But if a rookie mistake.

- The Raclette stand isn't what it used to be.

21 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Figured a couple more.

A windproof is one of the most valuable things at Glastonbury, it's all quite exposed and just cutting that out turned hoodies into wonderful warmth even in strong breezes and they're tiny in your bag. The sneaky thin down jacket was just cheating but amazing too on my slow late Saturday night.

This is so me .. I missed the meet on purpose last time I went as I would hate it if everyone ignored me because I'm not that entertaining .  Another reason I go everywhere on my own, if I go with people I drink to excess to compensate and either end up embarrassing myself and get on everyones nerves ...

I always envy people who are comfortable with strangers.. my job before retirement never involved anyone else except professionals who I'd employ to do certain jobs.. retired now and spend most of my time in my own company which is why I find meeting new people so desperately hard.. I miss out on so much 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

This is so me .. I missed the meet on purpose last time I went as I would hate it if everyone ignored me because I'm not that entertaining .  Another reason I go everywhere on my own, if I go with people I drink to excess to compensate and either end up embarrassing myself and get on everyones nerves ...

I always envy people who are comfortable with strangers.. my job before retirement never involved anyone else except professionals who I'd employ to do certain jobs.. retired now and spend most of my time in my own company which is why I find meeting new people so desperately hard.. I miss out on so much 

come along next time ... people can create internet personas but are under all that just normal down to earth festival goers enjoying exactly the same thing as you ... you will find people who you share some common ground with I assure you 

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

come along next time ... people can create internet personas but are under all that just normal down to earth festival goers enjoying exactly the same thing as you ... you will find people who you share some common ground with I assure you 

You are probably right but fear just takes over ..at my age I shouldn't really worry but some of us who are middle aged still have the same insecurities as some a lot younger .. but if lucky enough next time  I will get there ...and thank you

1 minute ago, babyblade41 said:

You are probably right but fear just takes over ..at my age I shouldn't really worry but some of us who are middle aged still have the same insecurities as some a lot younger .. but if lucky enough next time  I will get there ...and thank you

im not far short of middle aged ... whatever that might be now :) ....  stay around here ... you will develop some rapports with people over time which makes the easing in to the meet easier ... and you dont need to post quite as often /obsesively as some either :) ..... and no problem :)