Lessons learned

Gabi_says

Got right :
Constant supply of water, getting refills any time I passed taps or fill stations.

Another visit to the craft fields.

Better shorts with more pockets (cheers Aldi work shorts).

Visited Lost Horizons, the sauna and showers were great.

Bought a 1 litre insulated carbonation flask for £11 off Amazon (Flsk make, via links on the shop here to give something to the site, and was usually £45) to keep cocktails cold and fizzy.

Big 4 wheel trolley to carry water barrels for the van. Found an abandoned new trolley cage in the fields so brought it back to replace my rusty cage.

Got told I'm beautiful and / or I love you by a man and woman. (see below).

Got wrong

Took beer and cider, and the weight was too much in the bag.

Drank a little too early to maximise travel round the site.

Scattered approach at the meet and not getting round everyone for long. Sorry.

Didn't plan as much or check out bands beforehand so whilst I did enjoy bimbling, I did end up with vague gaps where I felt lost, not even enabling me to chill or find new random stuff.

Not book a treatment in the healing fields.

The woman was only following Lizzo's I Love You mantra orders, and the man was taking the piss whilst singing along to the streets in a coffee shop.

Just now, Jimmerz95 said:

I learnt that I don't NEED to drink to have a good time. 

So often at festivals I get myself absolutely rat-arsed early and by the end of the night I'm just bored of being intoxicated.

On Saturday and Sunday I didn't drink any alcohol and I had an even better time than if I was bollocks'd.

Also not having to piss every hour was beneficial 

Goodthings:Taking something called a buff light weight head band/neck scarf and soaking it with water keeping me cool. Camelback for water and my jet boil to heat water for a morning wash.

Cool box instead of bag so I can put bacon and eggs for morning breakfast and cool my beers and using the coop a lot more then I did as it was a lot cheaper then I thought it would be. Having my kids with me it would of been a godsend to use it wenesday and Thursday to by snack foods like sausage rolls and chicken bites. Would of made my festival a lot cheaper. 

Also take my wife with me next year to make life a lot easier ?

3 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Don't drink an entire bottle of amaretto in about an hour because you're "sick of carrying it around".

:lol:

Basically what I did with my rum on Sunday night.  Bottle was a perfect mix of rum & ginger beer, but there was some rum left over.  What's a guy supposed to do?

Edited by Quark

2 hours ago, Gedh said:

Gave me a shock each time I saw someone order one - £2! - I mean two whole british pounds when they could just turn a tap. They weren't even chilled just taken from a stack.

I bought one on Friday but it was an exception as I saw the person in front of me get one and it was taken out of a freezer - the can was coated in ice and the water was basically like slush. Best £2 I spent all week. 

Got Right: 

1. Seeing Stormzy and The Killers. We have a theory that if we are in doubt, always see the Pyramid headliner, and 9/10 times you will love it.

2. General travel timings - managed to miss the queues getting in when we arrived at about 11.30 on the Wednesday (Gate D) and the queues leaving when we left at about 8am on Monday.

3. Accepting on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday that we wouldn’t cope with the next day if we tried to get smashed and pull an all nighter, due to the heat. We were in bed by 3am each of these nights and we were nicely drunk but not absolutely smasho, and ended up feeling great the following day!

4. Respecting the heat - lots of suncream, lots of shade, lots of water!

Got Wrong:

1. Seeing The Cure. In our theory on the Pyramid headliners, these were my 1/10. I knew I would hate it and I did. Put a bit of a downer on the end of the weekend. 

2. Getting completely turbo’d on Thursday, resulting in a level 4 hangover on Friday and missing the Vaccines. 

3. Didn’t give myself enough time at the efests meet - basically I lost track of time and arrived late, managed a quick catch up with @Gnomicide and @JayBalls and then had to dash off because my group wanted to see Mik Artistik on Avalon (who was totally brilliant but would have liked more time to chat with everyone!)

4. Packed my raincoat and wellies ?

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Any further detail on this? Gate/time/where you camped? 

I’m thinking of this for next year as I’m done with all the horrendous queuing now! 

We arrived at 12:00pm. Via cycle area. Went straight in at gate A in about 30 mins. Suspect because there is another way to access the gate A queue coming in that way which jumped a massive queue. You dont have to have cycled to access gate A that way though

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

One thing I definitely got right was always having vodka and Kahlua with me to have White russians or Espresso Martinis depending on if I was walking past somewhere that sold milk or iced coffee

This is amazing. Why have I never thought of this?

1. plenty of sun cream (if weather requires it) - I did do this
  2. plenty of water - I did do this....mostly
  3. Eat properly. I tried to enforce a rule of at least 2 'good' meals a day before properly 'getting on it' - I almost managed this. But was deffo fatigued at times due to lack of decent nutriton
  4. Don't feel bad if you missed things you originally planned to see. I did miss MOST of the things I'd earmarked. And was feeling bad about it. But I made up for it by still having a brilliant tim

Right...I was wearing my efests t shirt one day and randomly met two guy fellow efesters on separate occasions I didn't know. We had a good natter about our festival and this site and a hug each time. Luvly!

Wrong...wussing out yet again over going to the efest meet! My son went though Xxx

• Like 2

Accidentally put this in the headliners thread ??

Going to gigs on your Jones is amazing at Glastonbury.

I had a slightly smaller and spread-out crew this time especially with one brother in crew camping and the other in the family field with his wife and their son and daughter for the first time. Combined with a best friend having on and off strife with his girlfriend, I ended up attacking Friday and Saturday daytimes largely solo as well as a mission in Block9/Samula on Saturday night... and it was INCREDIBLE.

Was always the first person dancing, never felt like I needed a drink or a line to get me into the mood... broke the ice dancing to a few earlier acts (Acid Mothers Temple particularly) as people joined in around me. Handed out Sherbert lemons to the beautiful people with sore jaws in the SE corner. Danced non stop for every gig and made so many new friends.

Really recommend doing it if only for half a day sometime. It's a beautiful thing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Ha fair do, can't imagine how I would have coped without mine on me all day! 

I kept seeing those still water cans about and until I read otherwise on here, had just assumed that they were part of the contingency plan for the heat / running low on water and were being given away for free. Shocked that they were being flogged for £2 each!

They were £1.50 rrp in the bars.  I suspect a few traders saw an easy profit to be made. 

1 minute ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

They were £1.50 rrp in the bars.  I suspect a few traders saw an easy profit to be made. 

Yeah, £1.50 and then the bartender would tell you there's tap water for free. ?

Right - Took a self-inflating roll mat which made for a much better sleep than our old airbed and didn't have to be reinflated. Drank plenty of water throughout the day whilst drinking and therefore didn't end up rough during the whole festival. Didn't take too much stuff which meant it wasn't a struggle getting from coach to campsite.

Wrong - Should have applied more suncream to face/hairline. I look like I have some kind of terrible skin disorder now due to awful peeling skin. 

Right:

Finally did a yoga class after 7 Glastonburys saying I would do a yoga class!

Spent loads of lovely time bimbling alone.  First time going without a partner and as much as I loved the time spent with friends Glastonbury is so so often best experienced alone.  You can really absorb it that way.

Wrong:

Thinking that thin sneakers are suitable footwear for around 14 miles a day walking.  They aren’t.  Feet are only just starting to feel normal again.

Again walked around the Healing Field not booking a massage.  Again regretted it.

Took way too much booze. I don’t drink that much.  Why do I think I do?

3 hours ago, dccool said:

Things I got bang on....

Going to Lost Horizons every morning for a cold shower. Totally got this right sorted me out whether I felt I needed it or not.

Constantly drinking water and topping up whenever we passed a tap or refill point.

Wearing a floppy cricket style hat most of the day.

Things I got wrong....

Not going to bed at 8am Sunday morning after already being up for 24 hours. By the time i did make it to bed 4am Monday morning I was in a right mess and still recovering now.

Thinking that an apple and a handful of haribo would do me for breakfast most mornings.

How do you get into lost horizons for a cold shower, do you need a pass?