The Jazz on offer this year was roaring.

Xeph1995

I couldn't believe how much good jazz was on offer this year, felt like most tents I strolled into had some roaring brass band. The Commet is coming and the sons of khemet were particularly excellent, their sets in the worm hole were bopping. Nice to see such a revival just in time for the 20s. Hope everyone else apreciated as much as I!

Edited by Xeph1995
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I couldn't believe how much good jazz was on offer this year, felt like most tents I strolled into had some roaring brass band. The Commet is coming and the sons of khemet were particularly excelletet, their sets in the rabbit hole were bopping. Nice to see such a revival just in time for the 20s. Hope everyone else apreciated as much as I!

We saw a Jazz band but cant remember what they were called (Think it was at the Glade Café)….. It was one of the best nights I had. So much fun and uplifting. Will definitely see more in the future.

Managed to miss Comet is Coming after a VERY strong recommendation... for some reason I never get round to jazz at Glastonbury. Must change!

Had a great half hour in Glasto Latino on the Sunday night listening to some Cuban jazz... but that was about the extent of it I think.

6 minutes ago, CeriG said:

We saw a Jazz band but cant remember what they were called (Think it was at the Glade Café)….. It was one of the best nights I had. So much fun and uplifting. Will definitely see more in the future.

Was this the Wednesday or Thursday ? I might have seen the same band. Jazz is electric live, studio doesn't do it justice. 

1 minute ago, Xeph1995 said:

Was this the Wednesday or Thursday ? I might have seen the same band. Jazz is electric live, studio doesn't do it justice. 

Think it was the Thursday night. It was the night that I was very intoxicated.... we ended up doing the full conga outside and back into the tent.

I think Jazz (and Metal) has been underserved at Glastonbury of late so glad it appears to be enjoying a bit of a revival.

I am a fan and generally feel at least a halfway decent jazz band are enjoyable even if you don't know the material, just for the musicianship alone. This cannot be said for Indie....

13 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think Jazz (and Metal) has been underserved at Glastonbury of late so glad it appears to be enjoying a bit of a revival.

I am a fan and generally feel at least a halfway decent jazz band are enjoyable even if you don't know the material, just for the musicianship alone. This cannot be said for Indie....

Jazz is so electrifying live in a small tent with dancing, even half decent ones pull it off.

Edited by Xeph1995

It's as if you wrote this thread for me. 

Me and my mate absolutely loved the jazz this year, Ezra Collective, Sons of Kemet.. But the best was The Wormhole, always have the best trippy Jazzy tunes on. 

Was anyone else in there Thursday night from 1am? Best partying of my bloody life! 

Totally agree. 

Couldn't get into the Wormhole, queues were huge every time I went by. 

The undercard was very strong to - Emma Jean Thackeray and Ishmael Ensemble both had very strong sets - recommend both if you're a jazz cat. 

Ezra collective, sons of Kemet, kamasi, Mauskovich dance band (not really jazz) all super fun! Loved the wormhole, was looking forward to checking it out all festival. Was upset to see the long queues to get into it. Reminded me of the rabbit hole... wish that hadn’t been the case :( 

Comet Is Coming and Ezra Collective were among my festival highlights, as was what little I saw of Snazzback before they were told to pack up their impromptu set just down the road from the bandstand on Wednesday afternoon.

+1 for needing to expand the wormhole next year, it seems they massively underestimated the draw of those post-headliner Vs sets.  After seeing the size of the queue I decided to just go dancing round the side of the building for a bit, by the exit, where I could hear pretty well but see absolutely nothing - gutted!

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, Ezra Collective were great fun. A little overcooked at points (monologues over two minutes in 31C heat is pushing it...) but then so was the whole festival at that point

One of their monologues about epic positivity dragged me out of a heat induced funk

Loved it so I did

On 7/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Don’t know if it counts but saw Jeff Goldblum by accident and I bloody loved it. So much so that we ended up essentially sacking Kylie off because we got there once it started and decided to do one elsewhere due to the insane crowd. 

Yeah, it counts.