Shangri-La artwork

BigTing0151

First post. Hopefully food for thought. 

My second Glasto this year, and what a blast it was. I spent a little more time walking around the SEC of a daytime and enjoying the decor and overall splendor of the place. However, I was taken aback about the prices of artwork on sale especially given the huge anti-capitalist theme of the Shangri-La. 

I understand the need of artists to make a living, but charging £££'s for a print seems like a huge middle finger to the whole theme of the area, and festival as a whole. The artwork I saw was lovely, but the price tags made me really reconsider if the area is just a gimmick to attract 'weekend hippy' punters, rather than a politically-charged protest area. 

Couple this with the Co-Op's cavalier use of single-use plastic, and I couldn't help but see a different side to the farm this year. Surely if you talk the talk, you should walk it too? 

34 minutes ago, BigTing0151 said:

First post. Hopefully food for thought. 

My second Glasto this year, and what a blast it was. I spent a little more time walking around the SEC of a daytime and enjoying the decor and overall splendor of the place. However, I was taken aback about the prices of artwork on sale especially given the huge anti-capitalist theme of the Shangri-La. 

I understand the need of artists to make a living, but charging £££'s for a print seems like a huge middle finger to the whole theme of the area, and festival as a whole. The artwork I saw was lovely, but the price tags made me really reconsider if the area is just a gimmick to attract 'weekend hippy' punters, rather than a politically-charged protest area. 

Couple this with the Co-Op's cavalier use of single-use plastic, and I couldn't help but see a different side to the farm this year. Surely if you talk the talk, you should walk it too? 

I really don’t agree about the price of the art being high. I actually thought it was very reasonable. A print I brought was £100, it’s a limited addition run of 35 and the proceeds are split 50/50 between shangrilart and the artist. So the artist will only get max £1750 if they sell out. I would be very surprised if anyone is walking away from shangrilart with an unfair wad of cash. 

And anyway, art is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

Agree 100% about coop single use plastic though, I would be surprised and disappointed if there aren’t some changes to what they are allowed sell next year 

6 minutes ago, fionajm777 said:

I really don’t agree about the price of the art being high. I actually thought it was very reasonable. A print I brought was £100, it’s a limited addition run of 35 and the proceeds are split 50/50 between shangrilart and the artist. So the artist will only get max £1750 if they sell out. I would be very surprised if anyone is walking away from shangrilart with an unfair wad of cash. 

And anyway, art is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

Agree 100% about coop single use plastic though, I would be surprised and disappointed if there aren’t some changes to what they are allowed sell next year 

I didn't go to the Co-Op but I thought that there sandwich wrapped were a trial of something compostable that they were hoping to roll out countrywide. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I didn't go to the Co-Op but I thought that there sandwich wrapped were a trial of something compostable that they were hoping to roll out countrywide. 

Sandwiches were, but ice, fruit weren’t. They even sold wet wipes.

1 minute ago, MJP said:

Hopefully the festival will have a word and by next year things will be a lot better on the packaging front. To be honest all of us as consumers need to be asking companies to find better ways of packaging things. One of my bug bears is how much more expensive it is to buy things like beans singly. Surely they could do it so that if you just buy 4 normal tins of beans you can get them cheaper for buying in bulk rather than having to wrap them in plastic for you to get that price. In fact I might spend a few days complaining to some companies in the hope of making a difference. 

17 minutes ago, fionajm777 said:

I agree. I bought a limited edition signed Stanley Donwood print for £150 (+ £10 P&P) which I think is an absolute bargain.

Edited by barkley87

5 minutes ago, MJP said:

That's not cool... I didn't manage to make it there, but if other traders had to obey the rules, Co-Op should have been. ?

1 minute ago, Magma said:

That's not cool... I didn't manage to make it there, but if other traders had to obey the rules, Co-Op should have been. ?

As we start to see more packaging innovations and plastic-free aisles in the next few months, I think we’ll get to a place soon.

Trouble is that you have to go into shops prepared to store food in your own containers and bags, which isn’t the general public’s way of thinking just yet.

Noticed that the Co Op had physically removed all of the plastic forks from the pasta pots (presumably to adhere to the same laws as the food traders regarding plastic cutlery as they were giving out wooden ones at the till) 

Bit pointless seeing as the pasta pots themselves were huge tubs made entirely out of plastic ?