Neighbours 2019

kalifire

What were your neighbours like this year? 

I actually managed to be the first person on the main stretch of Pennards so there was nobody for me to choose to be next to. I just picked my pitch and then hoped those who chose to be next to me were friendly. 

I ended up being surrounded by several groups, most of them perfectly civil but not really chatty or friendly.

One group didn’t say much at all so when I returned to my tent at about 3am on Saturday morning and one of them was on a chair outside his tent, I said hello and remarked I’d not said more than a couple of words to him so far. It was a friendly reach out. He reacted super defensively by protesting that it wasn’t his fault because my tent was always zipped up so how could he chat with me if that was the case? The next morning he’d built a little fence between my tent and his so that he could avoid seeing me. Slightly weird if you ask me but there we go. 

I’ve never had a bad experience at Pennards but I haven’t exactly had a great experience either. Most people have kept to themselves. I’m beginning to think better neighbours camp elsewhere. 

I was in Rivermead with my daughter and we had lovely neighbours next door - 4 girls in their 20s.  I introduced myself early on and explained that I thought it was a good idea to know your neighbours for security reasons.  We had nice chats every morning re who we had seen and what we thought of them and tuttted over rude people and litter bugs.  Having just come from the "feeling older" thread, I realise I felt like I was talking to people of my age or that I was their age.  The other side were quieter and because of the way the tents were laid out we didn't chat much.  People passing by were generally pleasant too.  Will probably head there again another time and try to get our spot in the shade under a tree.

We were in Dairy and had a camp going with 6 tents sort of in a circle and we were up against the fence so neighbours on one side were all our friends. Met a really nice couple to the side of us who came and sat around our fire and who we chatted to about our plans for the day in the morning and what we had done that day when we got back at night if they were still up. It was their first Glastonbury and they were blown away by the size of the place. We had trolley envy... he was an engineer and had a motorised trolley that he had made himself by taking the motor and batteries out of a golf buggy!  

Edited by Digi
  • Upvote 1

We were in Darble I think it’s called? The bit immediately next to where the shuttle buses drop you, as most of us got the train so we figured it’d be the easiest place to escape from on Monday. 

Most were fine and unnoticed in all honesty, which I guess is kinda what you want. A group next to us who were very friendly and occasionally asked us who we’d been to see. 

Another group immediately next to us almost seemed to literally always be at their tents. Not a problem of any kind of course, just whenever we’d go back at any point to grab something, they were always there and when I had to take my girlfriend back to our tent on Saturday night in the middle of the headliners because she was feeling poorly, they were there again! Maybe just a coincidence, but it almost just felt like they weirdly never actually went to see anyone. 

Pretty sure I’d camp in the same area if I ever went again. Was quiet for the most part which I appreciated when you did actually want to get some sleep, or just a bit of chill time away from the heat for a bit. 

I was one of the first pitched up in wickets went out wenesday and came back to a women called Michelle and her daughter Stella first timers.she got asking me questions and where things where so I offered to show her up too the glasto sign etc. 

We ended up spending the whole festival together almost bar the Saturday afternoon/evening as I wanted to see the the foals/ daughter sigrid/courteeners. 

It was a absoulte godsend as the kids had someone to play with and the aldults got to watch and see the acta we wanted. So all in all we had great experience because of It.

• Upvote 1

Camped in Paines ground. Was already one tent next to me. An older couple and their older son. Didn’t say anything to me. 

Another group next to us were really friendly. Chatted in the morning’s and they asked if I could make sure no one camped in the centre of their space as their friend was arriving Thurs as they headed out. Not much more than that really. 

All pleasant enough. 

We always camp in Darble. People around us were friendly enough, the people right behind us had one of those inflatable lounger things that basically looks like you are lying in a giant vulva so that provided a talking point especially when there was no wind and they were trying to inflate it. Never had any issues in the Darble and everyone always seems up for a bit of chat! 

Group of girls next to us were lovely. Terrible at putting a tent up so we helped them put it up. We did have a group of lads near us that sat in chairs the whole time working their way through about 8 crates of carling and seemed quite proud of the mountain of cans that built up in the middle of their camp though. Could have done without them.

I was in Paines and had a few young pups camping next to me. Given that my nephew is closer to their age than mine, I took it on myself to make sure they had enough suncream and water, which they always did. Because I was more over-excited than lecturing in my demeanour, they didn't seem to mind my paternalistic small talk.

I also ensured they had plenty of rainbow refraction glasses and glowsticks, which seemed to be appreciated.

Everyone seemed sound. I led with a big grin and friendly chat and it was reciprocated in every instance :)

We were in WV and had very little contact with neighbours which is unusual given we’ve made friends with those who were around us in Cockmill in previous years. 

Having said that, we were generally out early and back lateish so didn’t see them too much. The only bizarre thing was when one family with young kids arrived back at 1.30am and tried to get them to clean their teeth before bed ?

1 hour ago, LynseyDiva said:

We always camp in Darble. People around us were friendly enough, the people right behind us had one of those inflatable lounger things that basically looks like you are lying in a giant vulva so that provided a talking point especially when there was no wind and they were trying to inflate it. Never had any issues in the Darble and everyone always seems up for a bit of chat! 

We camped in Darble in 2011, in regards to neighbours / atmosphere it was fantastic, everyone was friendly and not too noisy of a nighttime, you could get a decent sleep on the nights that we were able to get to sleep. 

The one one problem I did have though was how far it was from the majority of the action, not bad if you were at Silver Hayes, JP, Other or even Pyramid but anything further and it felt like a real treck back when you’re feeling a bit worse for wear and that. 

Edited by lukethekid

Camped in Paines and had 3 groups around us, 1 of which I was very friendly with and had a couple of decent chats  coming home after sunrise and heading out in the day. I got some info so hopefully I'll see them next year! 

The other group I didnt really notice, except when they took my water jug at some point on the Saturday, and I asked if it was theirs on the Sunday (no) and reclaimed it. 

The third group were rough, rowdy, insane and amusing to listen to. Lots of drugs, lots of partying, and then lots of very unexpected music choices. They were very keen on George Ezra. 

In Paines. Group of 5 or 6 camped to our 12 o'clock to our 4 o'clock and they were about our age, really nice and had a few chats whenever we were all at the tents together. Shared some booze, shared some highlights and shared some tips on areas with decent shade cover (shout out strummerville). 

The people on the other side to them had their tents facing the other way, barely mustered up a hello and did a remarkable amount of balloons around the tents. Never understood that one, what happened to just boshing a couple of littlans and enjoying the ride? 

I've never had a longer relationship with neighbours other than a polite hello and asking a favour for a hammer or one of us to move our tents a bit to accommodate a late-comer. Normally they're either in bigger groups, or we are, and the amount of time we spend in the campsite is so small - literally wake up, toilet, brush teeth and go - that there's not much time for chinwagging, tend to meet people more at the music, always find that's where the real fun/interesting chats/offers you a dab, take place

Lower Mead, a group of 8 of us in a mini circle. Lovely neighbours chatted to all of them. Group of women getting a lot of attention from various all male groups that was amusing - all total fails, but they did try. A chatty uni group who saw everything between them and rocked up at dawn, collapsed for 4 hours and back at it.

We were the ones with the welsh flag and "Over by there" beneath it (it stayed in camp).

There was one fella with two women, but older than us who were camped and in their chairs with a drink by the time we arrived in Paines on weds morning. There was a lot of space around them and we parked our stuff and I dumped my bag, trolley and tent and sat down to catch my breath and heard the fella say "wow, won't even say hello to us". I thought 'fuck me, I'm sweating, bright red, out of breath. Give me a minute to sit down and get sorted'. Couldn't be arsed with them after that tbh. I had intended to open my ice box full of Ice and cocktails to share but didnae bother. 

We were in a hired caravan and at the end of the row with our friend next to us. I think it is the first year that nobody really spoke to us. When we arrived on Tuesday there were very few people there and to be fair we basically just sleep in the van we were never around in the day apart from the Tuesday. 

camped in South Park 2. didn't really have any problems pr s[peal to the neighbors.

was lay in my tent Sunday night early when i heard the neighbors return. they were chatting and when they got close to our site. I heard them say "oh look the noisy neighbors are out , best get some sleep before they come back"

I apologize 

We were in Park Home - best neighbours I've had at any festival. I arrived late but my group had already befriended them. We ending up sharing all kind with them. Absolutely brilliant - doesn't half improve camp life when you get on with those around you. 

Not bad! We usually head to the field to the right of the Park entrance looking up the hill, so it's usually a youngish crowd but not exactly Pennards... they were all pretty good value. Kept their stereos to pretty sensible volumes... and a group of girls were paying for their tents to be put up with pills. Community spirit, innit.?

Mainly friendly neighbours, one group infront were peeing behind their tent and leaving their toilet paper... Basically right outside our door. We called them out on it and they didn't do it again. About 2 groups away, a bunch of kids obviously hammered all weekend were attracting attention of security by sunday, turns out at least one of them was thieving, got caught and kicked out. Needless to say the ones remaining left their camp in an absolute disgrace on monday. Put a bit of a down on it.