Feeling much older after a fallow year...

Dusk1983

Wonder if anyone else felt this. I suddenly felt old this year compared to 2017, obviously due to the extra year gap. Was weird arriving to our usual campsite and feeling out place, realising I was at least 10 years older than the average age nearby. Easily 15 older in many cases!

Even on the train on the way down I was by far the oldest person. I’m sure it wasn’t that different in 2017 but the extra year off really brought it vividly to my attention!

I am not trying to be miserable and I still had a great time. And next time we will head for WV or similar. But the thing is my interests and habits haven’t really changed, so I was still drawn to the same (crazy) places, partying the same way. Then every now and then I’d look around and start questioning if should even be there! Or whether people around me were thinking the same thing...

anyone relate?

Edited by Dusk1983

Yes! I felt like this in 2015 but then had kids so started frequenting the older punter places (or the very younger punter!). 

I don’t think there is anything wrong with being older than most and liking the same stuff you did 10 years ago.

I still felt 21 at this years fest and I'm 50 this year. Didn't really notice any physical strains apart from some slightly aching legs but then I am a constant wanderer rather than a chiller in one place. Also didn't notice much change in the age average this year either, young and old as usual.

I'm 43 and still hitting it as hard and love partying as much as I did 20 years ago.

This year me and my usual glasto buddy (also 43) camped with a group of late twenty to early thirties. 

Although I'm definitely one that says your only as old as you feel age is only a number etc etc there where moments where I'd look around and think am I too old for this? Raving at 6am on a sunday morning seeing the sun rise for the 3rd day on the trot is maybe not what most 40 somethings get up to but then I'd only do that at Glastonbury.

I thought the crowd was the usual mix of old and young no matter what stage I went to or what time of day or night it was.

From a physical point of view my right hip aches but no other issues.

For the record I actually hit it harder, danced for longer and covered more ground than all the younger group that we went with.

If you can still do it....do it!

Glastonbury is one of the few places on earth you wont get judged for being too old or not 'fitting in' for what ever reason. Make the most of that we all have 360 days to recover until the next one.

• Upvote 2

48 here.  I wouldn't say I partied hard.  I drank quite heavily on the first 3 days and nights and enjoyed the company of my friends lucy and mary jane.  I put in some mileage though, and never flagged, came home feeling energised.  Did the garden yesterday and spent this morning unblocking the drains as I'd booked 3 days off after the festival to recover and don't need the recovery after all.

Bring on 2020.

56 minutes ago, redrog said:

Funny, I had the opposite experience, I thought the crowd felt older this year. Perhaps it’s the acts I watch, or maybe I’m just having to accept I’m becoming an old fart and don’t care anymore. 

Agreed, I thought it was an older crowd too.

I was wondering if the fallow year had drawn some of the kids away to places like Boomtown and Parklife.

The older crowd contributed to the lower dickhead ratio too IMO.

43 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The only time I felt old was waiting for Miley Cyrus in the pit. It was just kids sat down taking up a lot of space. 

.. but it was you that was the dude standing on your legs while the cool kids flagged, they must have been in awe of you and you ability  to stand up whilst other around you couldn't support the weight of their own body!

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My mate wound up crowdsurfing in a huge inflatable flamingo between Kylie Miley so it wasn't that young or that quiet.

He fell about 10 feet behind / to my left. 

The seated kids were all at the very front. In the middle, the pit got closer to the stage. That area, before she came on, it was mainly seated kids. 5 mins before the start, they all stood up.

Nah, although I do know what you mean. Definitely moments when I looked around and was clearly a bit older (and I'm only 38) but I'm very much in the mindset of you get old because you retire, not the other way round. Some of that's down to playing rugby with guys who are both way younger and way older than me. The young lads keep me childish, and the older boys are still putting in an 80 minute shift every Saturday. 

So yeah, if they want to have a laugh at the guy hitting a midlife crisis, wearing diffraction glasses and gurning his face off at 4am, go ahead. Fuck it, I'm laughing at myself! But that's no reason to stop.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I'm 66 and could not believe the number of poor souls much younger than me who felt the need to carry chairs around all day so that they could rest their weary bodies.

Funnily enough, I was going to say that I didn't feel my age at all but seeing your comment about chairs made me remember  that I did wonder whether I would be able to bring a chair next year - not for lugging around during the day but for sitting at the tent and trying to get my fucking boots on!  I must admit I did also wonder whether to look into those sit on the floor but with a back type chairs as sitting on the ground in the circus I found really uncomfortable - even as a youngster I never found it easy to sit on the floor.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even better, he went over the front barrier and got thrown out of the pit.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Ah, I saw him fall. Didnt realise he got back up. My mate took some pictures when he was heading our way I think.

When she puts them on facebook, Ill put them on here.

Should have come and seen The Eagles at Leeds Arena last night. At 45 my ego was well and truly boosted at being one of the youngest there! ?

Yeah, there are times when I look around and do feel older... usually because I'm envious at those wearing glitter bodysuits up their arse. My menopausal self sweats glitter off 30 seconds after sticking it on! 

1 minute ago, Digi said:

Should have come and seen The Eagles at Leeds Arena last night. At 45 my ego was well and truly boosted at being one of the youngest there! ?

My ego boost was at Benicassim in '17 when I got told I was a DILF!  :lol:

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Funnily enough, I was going to say that I didn't feel my age at all but seeing your comment about chairs made me remember  that I did wonder whether I would be able to bring a chair next year - not for lugging around during the day but for sitting at the tent and trying to get my fucking boots on!  I must admit I did also wonder whether to look into those sit on the floor but with a back type chairs as sitting on the ground in the circus I found really uncomfortable - even as a youngster I never found it easy to sit on the floor.

Chairs at the tent are fine, I have one there which is its right and proper place.

I have no problem sitting on the ground - it's getting up again.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

My ego boost was at Benicassim in '17 when I got told I was a DILF!  :lol:

Ha! My ego was actually boosted at Benicassim in 2016 when some 18 year old let me get on his shoulders during The Chems. His back is still probably fucked! ?

Just now, Digi said:

Ha! My ego was actually boosted at Benicassim in 2016 when some 18 year old let me get on his shoulders during The Chems. His back is still probably fucked! ?

Brilliant! Now at Beni I felt properly old :D

efests road trip?