Glastonbury on Sea

Funkyfairy!

1 minute ago, al_coholic said:

So I visited the Pier this year, for all of about 10 mins. It was interesting, but I would really question the worth and value of building/breaking it every year. Looks like it takes about 10 weeks up/down. Surely the money spent on this could be better spent elsewhere. 

It also takes up a massive amount of camping space in Pennards, and does nothing to help the blockage at the top of the Park when a big act is on. If it wasn't there, they could move the toilets back a bit and make them bigger. 

I am sure there are people that love it, but really, would anyone miss it if it wasn't there?

My thoughts exactly. Bit similar to Cinerarmageddon, I love that the  festival does these weird & wonderful installations - it’s part of what makes it special!

But this has to be balanced with the practical realities. Like you say, sticking a bloody great pier there only adds to the challenges in what is a very busy part of the site. I’d not be upset to see it go. 

19 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

So I visited the Pier this year, for all of about 10 mins. It was interesting, but I would really question the worth and value of building/breaking it every year. Looks like it takes about 10 weeks up/down. Surely the money spent on this could be better spent elsewhere. 

It also takes up a massive amount of camping space in Pennards, and does nothing to help the blockage at the top of the Park when a big act is on. If it wasn't there, they could move the toilets back a bit and make them bigger. 

I am sure there are people that love it, but really, would anyone miss it if it wasn't there?

Hard disagree. Since the loss of the small SE Corner venues it's places like Glastonbury on Sea and Cinerarmageddon that are replacing some of the hidden venue vibe.

We had someone who was really struggling with the crowds and they absolutely loved it. Probably spent a good hour there. It was lovely to be able to do a load of free activities and games. I know others who got involved in the bingo who spent longer there.

That combined with the new micro music venue at the back made for quite a lovely area to bimble in tbh.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Hard disagree. Since the loss of the small SE Corner venues it's places like Glastonbury on Sea and Cinerarmageddon that are replacing some of the hidden venue vibe.

We had someone who was really struggling with the crowds and they absolutely loved it. Probably spent a good hour there. It was lovely to be able to do a load of free activities and games. I know others who got involved in the bingo who spent longer there.

That combined with the new micro music venue at the back made for quite a lovely area to bimble in tbh.

Agree with this - love having these types of installations to explore. For me it's a big part of what makes the Glasto experience 

44 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I went breifly in 2019 and thougth it was shite so presumed it was still shite haha.  I deffo wouldnt miss it .

I love the pier. Both in 2019 and more so this year with all the additions.  It’s part of what I adore about Glastonbury - so many different areas appealing to so many different people. Personally I don’t go to the Silver Hayes/Glade areas but I would never dream of promoting their cancellation because they aren’t my ‘cup of tea’

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, moogster said:

A different location would be wise though, just a bit further from the park...

get rid of silver hayes because that whole area is crap and put the pier there and arcadia  and the cinema , job done haha and that will free up more space for camping

4 minutes ago, moogster said:

I like that idea. Though the lonely hearts club can stay.

ah yeah i actually stopped there one night on my long walk to gate A shuttle bus  and it seemed a good stage. Moving arcadia to silver hayes area would hopfeully stop alot of the crowd problems around the glade cross road area and other stage cross roads

Edited by gazzared
spelling

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I totally agree with the sentiment, as I said in my earlier post I 100% think Glastonbury should be creating unique & special spaces like this at the festival.

But I'm not sure a massive infrastructure-heavy installation is the best way they could do this? 🤷‍♂️

I'd rather see them find ways to nurture areas which can feature the quirky, individual & creative on a more fluid and pop-up sort of basis, I think?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not baying for GOS to be got rid of 😂 I just think the festival could do better. Obviously everyone's tastes are different! 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I totally agree with the sentiment, as I said in my earlier post I 100% think Glastonbury should be creating unique & special spaces like this at the festival.

But I'm not sure a massive infrastructure-heavy installation is the best way they could do this? 🤷‍♂️

I'd rather see them find ways to nurture areas which can feature the quirky, individual & creative on a more fluid and pop-up sort of basis, I think?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not baying for GOS to be got rid of 😂 I just think the festival could do better. Obviously everyone's tastes are different! 

I don't really see how it's more infrastructure heavy than any other area. It opened on time after learning from year one. I think "infrastructure heavy" is a really weird argument when set against all the other things they put into a random field in Somerset.

I'd even go as far as to say that it's less complex than many other areas of the site. Obviously neither you nor I actually see the build plan so don't know how difficult a build it actually is for them.

Edited by Leyrulion

Personally, I veer on the side of against. I think the effort and space it takes up and how few people it services, I think something cooler could be done. Although more against Cinemarmeggeddon that G on Sea.

I do agree that since the revamp of the SE Corner, there's less magic in that area, so G on Sea is an antidote to that, but I just think something else could better serve people.

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Personally, I veer on the side of against. I think the effort and space it takes up and how few people it services, I think something cooler could be done. Although more against Cinemarmeggeddon that G on Sea.

I do agree that since the revamp of the SE Corner, there's less magic in that area, so G on Sea is an antidote to that, but I just think something else could better serve people.

Each time they go for something “cooler” they have not only an initial cost but they waste the initial cost on the previous project … that’s why the crane was a 10 year project … which unfortunately didn’t pay off … they can’t afford to keep developing new ideas … 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Each time they go for something “cooler” they have not only an initial cost but they waste the initial cost on the previous project … that’s why the crane was a 10 year project … which unfortunately didn’t pay off … they can’t afford to keep developing new ideas … 

That makes sense. Why was the crane a dud? I thought they'd only introduced it in 2019? Was it not there at all this year? Thought there was just a problem with keeping it at the site.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That makes sense. Why was the crane a dud? I thought they'd only introduced it in 2019? Was it not there at all this year? Thought there was just a problem with keeping it at the site.

Planning consent was denied for keeping the crane base up permanently and it wasn't financially viable to build & dismantle each year, IIRC. So it had to go. 

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

They could only keep it if they removed and reinstalled the base each year, which would cost £250k annually apparently. 

3 hours ago, al_coholic said:

Totally agree.

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Planning consent was denied for keeping the crane base up permanently and it wasn't financially viable to build & dismantle each year, IIRC. So it had to go. 

Just now, Leyrulion said:

They could only keep it if they removed and reinstalled the base each year, which would cost £250k annually apparently. 

And nobody had considered this before they built it?!

That's an almighty fuck up.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I don't really see how it's more infrastructure heavy than any other area. It opened on time after learning from year one. I think "infrastructure heavy" is a really weird argument when set against all the other things they put into a random field in Somerset.

I'd even go as far as to say that it's less complex than many other areas of the site. Obviously neither you nor I actually see the build plan so don't know how difficult a build it actually is for them.

To be fair, it's a massive labour drain. Having been watching the webcam they were building it much earlier than anywhere else and will be taking it down for longer too. It's great that they do these things, but I reckon they could use less resources doing something else equally as good. 

14 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

To be fair, it's a massive labour drain

its only a massive labour drain if its done by the farm workers surely ? if its contracted out its just a job they pay others to do for them ? id be interested to see the costs but the fact it takes a bit longer doesnt really mean much in terms of costs ... 

If nothing else I'm guessing the revenue the shops on there bring in is probably worth the cost. Think they had sold out of loads of their merch by Sunday afternoon when I went along to buy stuff. I actually quite liked it. The old games etc that they had gathered were really interesting. The various robots and animatronics were good as well and any place with deck chairs for a little sit down is welcome.