Glastonbury on Sea

Funkyfairy!

I love the telescopes idea but may not be so keen if I was camping just below it! It could be seen as an invasion of privacy. Maybe the telescopes could show something other than a magnified view?

I loved its addition. The attention to detail was outstanding. All the little stalls selling rock and post cards, the arcade games, fairground attractions, candy floss. Truly a genuine reincarnation - if it wasn’t for the sea of tents (avoid the pun) you really could have been beside the seaside. 

8FB14834-9FAE-4039-AA46-724B49D84C87.jpeg

D40CC2DA-0300-493E-AA32-D7E82120C1A2.jpeg

27271E9D-E62A-48E1-8D1F-C8C332C5F2F5.jpeg

5 hours ago, Keithy said:

Did anyone get a stick of rock or any of the merch they were promoting?

Yeah, my Mrs got a stick of rock for my daughter.

Was £2 for a smallish piece ,though I’ve no idea of the price of Rock normally as I haven’t bought any for about 35 years ha ha 

Edited by rivalschools.price

14 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

The whole thing had a bit of Banksy's Dismaland about it and I'd expect it to develop in that direction.

We talked about this too... eventually we thought it was a bit more... "loving"... there seemed to be a genuine affection for the familiar crappiness of the British seaside town.

But I wouldn't have any sort of problem with it getting a bit more cynical and political as the years go on.

There didn't seem to be much of a twist to it.  In the end, it was just a really small pier by the standards of piers.  And it wasn't scuzzy and dilapidated enough to be a proper seaside town pier - it was all new, which didn't seem right at all!  Maybe if I'd gone there on the few hours most of it was done, I'd have enjoyed it more?  As it was, I spent about 10 minutes there and left, fairly underwhelmed.

My favourite bit was before it opened, with the redcoats shouting the rules of the pool at everyone as they walked past, that was funny.

1 hour ago, Magma said:

We talked about this too... eventually we thought it was a bit more... "loving"... there seemed to be a genuine affection for the familiar crappiness of the British seaside town.

But I wouldn't have any sort of problem with it getting a bit more cynical and political as the years go on.

I think you are probably right. The look  of Dismaland is there is parts but the feel is far more positive. Roll on 2020.

it was a novel, had a potter round bought some rock, had a shoot,

once you had done it though, there was no reason to go back. I was wondering if it will become a permanent structure and become more polished for next year, Although he did say something about planning something different for next year

17 hours ago, Keithy said:

Did anyone get a stick of rock or any of the merch they were promoting?

I went on Thursday. Bought a box of fudge, though it's clearly a generic one which is sold to different places (who then put their own postcard on the front of the box). Nice though! Tried to buy a t-shirt but they hadn't got all the sizes out yet.

Well I’m astonished to hear of robot bands and the Punch & Judy actually operating and moving!  Was there Friday night - quite a nice spot to listen to Michael Kiwanuka - but there was nothing really happening.  Just lots of people blocking the view while pissing about on their phones.

I always miss the fun stuff ?

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My favourite bit was before it opened, with the redcoats shouting the rules of the pool at everyone as they walked past, that was funny.

But copied from the lifeguards in the entrance to Glebeland who've been doing that for years... ;)

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I did not know that!

The 'punishment' for running, diving, heavy petting etc. this year was to be sprayed with water, so several of us spent a good few minutes running back and forth getting soaked - lovely in that heat!

18 hours ago, amfy said:

I love the telescopes idea but may not be so keen if I was camping just below it! It could be seen as an invasion of privacy. Maybe the telescopes could show something other than a magnified view?

Wire them into the various stage video feeds. That'd be good fun!

• Upvote 2

One year there was a bloke up the top of the park with a telescope and a phone. 

He asked members of the public to use the telescope to select an unsuspecting member of the public at the bottom of the park to go on a blind date. 

Using his phone, the top bloke contacted his mate down below to tap the chosen one on the shoulder. If they agreed then a time and place was provided to both.

Those that both turned up were treated to a VIP rabbit hole style date. 

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Screenshot_20220417-084237~2.png

I know they're going to hype it of course, but I genuinely can't think of the "surprises" they can do really. It was fun for a one off, but it just didn't seem to really say anything or be anything beyond a novelty. Hope I'm wrong!

• 2 months later...

So I visited the Pier this year, for all of about 10 mins. It was interesting, but I would really question the worth and value of building/breaking it every year. Looks like it takes about 10 weeks up/down. Surely the money spent on this could be better spent elsewhere. 

It also takes up a massive amount of camping space in Pennards, and does nothing to help the blockage at the top of the Park when a big act is on. If it wasn't there, they could move the toilets back a bit and make them bigger. 

I am sure there are people that love it, but really, would anyone miss it if it wasn't there?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2