Glastonbury on Sea

Funkyfairy!

Didn't make it up there sadly, one of many things.

But from the sound of it, it's certainly one of the things I love about the place. They don't seem to wait for ideas to be fully polished, gone through committee, tested with focus groups and all that shit. They have ideas, they try them and they build on them.

Again, everyone talks about Pangea versus the spider, but I remember Arcadia in the SE corner and it definitely wasn't anything like the metamorphosis show we had by the end!

• Upvote 1

I thought it was great, one of the highlights of my weekend was spending an hour there on Saturday. Really enjoyable and encapsulates everything that’s unique about Glastonbury, the creativity, the imagination, the ambition. Plus they had two of the greatest pinballs of all time in there. 

Properly brilliant. It’s this kind of thing that means I’ll always try and buy a ticket to Glastonbury

11 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Next year there will be a huge sandy beach with all the stuff that you'd expect to find there. 

any idea if planning has been sought / is being sought for this ? pleasure to meet you and sit at your lovely table by the way :) 

Loved it.

Typical Glastonbury.

Bonkers. Ridiculously. Pointless. 

Couldn't believe the size of it when I first saw it. Ended up having a nice stroll along it after my morning showers at Lost Horizons. Great start to every day. 

I thought it was fantastic. I understand it was very late being finished because of the bad weather in the early building stage. wWe went on around Friday lunchtime, no queues and I won on the bingo! I have a very lovely "I was a winner at Glastonbury-on-Sea" rosette to prove it. We also bought a couple of sticks of rock for presents - bit disappointed they don't have Glastonbury-on-Sea wording all the way through but they were only £2 each.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Didn't make it up there sadly, one of many things.

But from the sound of it, it's certainly one of the things I love about the place. They don't seem to wait for ideas to be fully polished, gone through committee, tested with focus groups and all that shit. They have ideas, they try them and they build on them.

Again, everyone talks about Pangea versus the spider, but I remember Arcadia in the SE corner and it definitely wasn't anything like the metamorphosis show we had by the end!

It's great. Glastonbury is a perfect example of true agile development without it being software. They try things out, fail fast and adapt and learn from everything they do. 

We went on the Wednesday, and it was closed. There was a poster there that said it was opening on Thursday at 12. So, we walked up at about 11:30, and waited. We were actually first in the queue and ME turned up to open it, and there was an opening show... Then we were told that it wasn't ready, and to come back at 5. When we eventually got on there, we only spent about half an hour on there! Thought it was quite underwhelming. We did, however, but a lanyard with sweet dummy and whistle, and some badges.

Personally, I think that next year, they should make a beach area underneath it with a giant sand pit and pool

Loved the concept but on my visit on Sunday it felt unfinished. Lots of bits clearly weren’t complete. If they were delayed by three days, that felt about right. No redcoats when I visited either so the whole thing felt a bit abandoned before completion. Like I was visiting something after everyone went home. 

Edited by kalifire

2 hours ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

Looking at the footings of the pier I’m convinced it will be a permanent structure.

I watched Punch and Judy and had a candy floss - just because It was so different 

Should have had telescopes at the end of the pier though !!!

I visited during Sunday sunset whilst I did one last last lap of the site. Soaked it all in and loved it. Bumped into Barbster360 too, lovely people!

My one little issue is that I treated it like a viewing platform rather than its own entertainment entity - would love to see a few things added especially some of the things already mentioned. Fish and Chips, more small acts, telescopes etc...