Glastonbury on Sea

Funkyfairy!

Interested to hear everyones thoughts about Glastonbury on Sea

We meandered up there on Sunday morning, the queue went down super quicly and it was an excellent hour or so wandering around , the piped seagull sounds made me chuckle , but I'm nt sure I'd make a trek up there again to see it, .... did think some of it was genius though :-)

Anyone else ?

It was clearly running behind schedule, as the opening time was pushed back and I saw builders still finishing parts of it off, but it definitely looked cool. I had some friends play on the stage opposite the pier and realised that it would make far more sense to have the bands set up and play in the centre of the pier, where the robots were. Having the stage opposite the pier really limited the number of people who could watch the set.

Whilst the pier looked cool, I only really spent 30 mins mooching around it and wouldn't be in a rush to go back unless they changed it up a bit. Suppose it's a work in progress and hopefully they'll build on what they have for next time. It'd be nice if they could somehow add sand to the area with the deckchairs - although I'm not sure if that's bad for the land? 

Went with the kids on Saturday and it was excellent. The arcade opened just as we were standing outside complaining amongst ourselves that it seemed stupid for it to be closed during the day and we got to play all the pinball machines with virtually no competition.

Kids had some candy floss, I bought a Glastonbury-on-Sea Clipper. We all got a bit freaked out by the vicious robotic bin (did that used to be in Shangri-La or somewhere?)  - sadly we didn't stay long enough to catch a Punch & Judy show and the queue for the dodgems was a bit long in the heat.

Result all round, I thought - hope it returns!

• Upvote 1

A great idea that needs a bit more polish. The beach bit with the deckchairs to the left seemed a bit tacked on. Despite that it's a good addition and I think it will be built upon next next year. 

I don't think I saw them but it would be great to add some of those telescopes you see on beaches. 

27 minutes ago, doogie said:

It was clearly unfinished.  Were the dodgems next to it ever working?

We walked past about 1pm on Sunday and there were people on them. I was far too fragile to contemplate being rammed into by a maniac in an electric car. 

We also couldn't face queuing in the heat, so didn't bother with the pier at all. Sounds like something which will be more worth a visit next time around. 

Edited by blutarsky
typo

I loved it :) the robot stuff was awesome, and as I -love- pinball, seeing Getaway there was a 'moment', seeing it on freeplay nearly made me cry :D spent quite a while playing (giving turns obviously) and then bought a load of stickers. Well worth it :)

Loved it. Great idea.

Yes the dodgems were working, I didn't go on em this year. Robots were very cool. Loved the rock t-shirts etc. Had my fortune told by the robot fortune teller.

Sadly the pinball machines were closed down while I was there. It had all overheated and they needed to cool them down (over 100 degrees I was told)

Also heard on worthy FM it was painted gold as someone told Joe he had so many gallons of gold paint if he wanted it :)

26 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

It was a very impressive build, I just left wondering why anyone would ever go there more than once, and whether it will get a bit flat once everyone has seen it?

If the structure stays there they can always put new things on it though. Why do people go up the ribbon tower every year? Why do people climb the hill and take photos when they've done it before?

I loved it. It’s so pointless but that’s what makes Glastonbury different from other festivals - it’s there for amusement. I bet anywhere else would be charging you a fiver just to go on it. 

14 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Did anyone get a stick of rock or any of the merch they were promoting?

I got a pencil (£2?) and a little compact mirror (£4)

Edited by fionajm777

I went up on that very sunny Saturday. Loved it. A real highlight for me.I really felt like I was at the seaside! Loved the structure, the robots, the Punch and Judy show, the arcade (where I had an excellent game of pinball which went on for ages!), the little booths and the view...! The view was fantastic. I will definitely be visiting it again!

It was fine. I was expecting it to feel like the kind of typical British seaside town I grew up near, but with a bit of the glastonbury magic we all know and love. But it was just...fine. I'm sure it'll grow and improve over future festivals though.