Guy breaking in via Worthy View

e_p

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, e_p said:

think it was Friday we saw a guy detained by security at the Pennards Hill gate going into Worthy View, just by Strummerville.  At first it looked like he was stopped for possession, but then he made a sudden dash for it, down past Strummerville and off into the Tipis or Stone Circle.  We couldn't see which way he ran from where we were, but it was pretty dramatic. Security gave chase.  Anyone else see this, or know what happened?

I was just back from a can run up to the tent in WV, about to head into the SE on the Saturday night around 1am. I took a break at the top of Pennard above the tipis and some likely lad sprinted past me laughing his kite off with security in hot pursuit. He tried his best to weave a path through the tipis but somehow worked his way back on to Pennard Hill where he was spectacularly caught. Took three security to hold him down. 

Thing is though, as he was sprinting down the hill drawing security away through the tipis, three other people legged it down the path and straight across to the Stone Circle field. The lad was definitely taking one for the team there.

• Like 1

I managed to last about 15 minutes in a crew area in Silver Hayes (the one with the Gate that had an "in memory" mural for a woman on it)... I walk with a fair old pace especially if I'm solo and I just marched through it thinking there might be something through there... security guard started to get up, then I was already too far away to confront and he just sat down again... by the time I realised there was nothing of interest back there I walked back to the gate. The guy said "I would've stopped you, but it's so hot and it's so shit back here that I knew you'd be back in 30 seconds".

You're doing a fine job, mate. A fine job. ?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

clearly not, as they cracked down on it this year. :rolleyes:

Drop in the ocean doesn't mean the organisers don't feel they need to improve. As I said, the fence is necessary and the controls are necessary... we all want them to do what they need to keep their license.

But even if they had a "bad" 2017 - we're talking hundreds at an absolute maximum. Which may be enough for them to want to "crack down" from a licensing standpoint, sure. In 2000 we were talking a HUNDRED THOUSAND though which could've been an actual public safety issue had there been a proper crowd crush like Roskilde went through. 

2019 levels - statuatory licensing issue that affected the experience of 0 festival goers but might make Emily's job a little harder for a few months - a drop in the ocean

2000 levels - public safety issue that could easily have resulted in significant deaths - not a drop in the ocean.

Context.

Just now, Magma said:

But even if they had a "bad" 2017 - we're talking hundreds at an absolute maximum.

from some of the boasts posted on here there were literally thousands getting in on the sly in 2017. (then again I've noticed some of the people who talk about how easy & certain it was bought tickets for themselves. :P)

But whatever, it's going to happen, but it's not something that should be referred to as "Eavis doesn't care" or how it doesn't really matter. I know he cares because of what he had to agree to and do, and I've sat thru the licence hearings so I know it does matter.

Same as pissing on the land it risks the future of the festival, and people shouldn't do it.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

from some of the boasts posted on here there were literally thousands getting in on the sly in 2017. (then again I've noticed some of the people who talk about how easy & certain it was bought tickets for themselves. :P)

But whatever, it's going to happen, but it's not something that should be referred to as "Eavis doesn't care" or how it doesn't really matter. I know he cares because of what he had to agree to and do, and I've sat thru the licence hearings so I know it does matter.

Same as pissing on the land it risks the future of the festival, and people shouldn't do it.

I didn't once say the Eavis' didn't care or that it wasn't an important license consideration, in fact I've repeatedly said they're doing the right thing, but do carry on replying to the posts you assume I made.

If thousands were getting in in 2017, I would've been one of them frankly. If there's a way in, I tend to hear about it since I grew up in the area and know workers and stallholders etc going in and out for weeks beforehand. I only know of ONE person that genuinely got in last year... he did it by going in with a load of catering equipment and hiding out for a few days before the festival properly started. This year I know of at least two people that had plans that didn't come off.

I'm sure others managed it, but it wasn't thousands. Only 5000 came in on Day Tickets this year and you could instantly see the site visibly fuller on Sunday afternoon - if thousands were streaming in all weekend, you wouldn't need to wait for Internet stories to believe it, it'd be obvious like it was in 2000.

Edited by Magma

1 minute ago, Magma said:

I didn't once say the Eavis' didn't care or that it wasn't an important license consideration, in fact I've repeatedly said they're doing the right thing, but do carry on replying to the posts you assume I made.

I didn't say you did. Now you're doing your own assuming. :rolleyes: 

Some have, I've seen it at least twice in the last few days (might be in another thread, not sure). And your words were of similar tone, that it's only a few so it doesn't really matter.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Some have, I've seen it at least twice in the last few days (might be in another thread, not sure). And your words were of similar tone, that it's only a few so it doesn't really matter.

You quoted me and were replying directly to me.

Use your own forum right.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The top of my post literally says they're doing the right thing and I agree with it.

From a festival goers experience, it doesn't matter.

From a licensing point its incredibly important and so they are doing the right thing. (Again, like the first sentence of my post that you took a quote from)

I think we all probably need a nap. You're better than this.

26 minutes ago, Magma said:

From a festival goers experience, it doesn't matter.

until there's no festival for any festival goers.

Which is why it's not a great thing to spread around the idea that it doesn't matter.

Ultimately it's encouragement, and if 10,000 ticketless arrived in the area because 'it doesn't matter' it will matter, a lot. 

We're all smart enough to know that small scale is small harm but no one is in control of that scale.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

On the other hand, someone from this forum got in on my friends ticket, seemingly without any bother. 

What were the respective resemblances like on these tickets? We met some people who got in on other tickets - some passable, some utterly ridiculous tbh - and likewise while I was queueing I saw some people trudging away in the opposite direction doing a walk of shame/utter dejection. There were 2 scouse lasses behind me in the queue at the ticket check point who were having nuclear meltdowns and trying to decide which checker to approach, I'd love to know if they got in but it was extremely busy at that point and they merged off quite far to the left by the time I passed through. 

1 hour ago, pantu the dog said:

What were the respective resemblances like on these tickets? We met some people who got in on other tickets - some passable, some utterly ridiculous tbh - and likewise while I was queueing I saw some people trudging away in the opposite direction doing a walk of shame/utter dejection. There were 2 scouse lasses behind me in the queue at the ticket check point who were having nuclear meltdowns and trying to decide which checker to approach, I'd love to know if they got in but it was extremely busy at that point and they merged off quite far to the left by the time I passed through. 

My words were: "that's about as close a resemblance as you might hope to find of a complete randomer that was only described as 'brunette female'" 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, FatAmmy said:

WE'VE GOT A RUNNER

Ha Ha I was delivering tea & coffee to the other oxfam team members at the time and "The Runner " wouldnt pull up his sleeves and then sprintend down the hill but his legs turned to jelly at the bottom.  She did really well shouting "weve got a runner" at the top of her voice .

21 hours ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

There must be a happy medium though, there were reports of a young lad who got in without a wristband having his collar bone broken by overzealous stewards on the Sunday of all days. That's not the festival any of us know and love

It sort of is though. Security used to be much worse for things like this than they are now. Apart from the odd throwback, they are pussycats compared to before (awful for the lad if true though)

On 7/4/2019 at 5:34 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I reckon you’d have a fighting chance legging it through the bit where they scanned EPOs on gate C this year. It was very wide with next to no queue. 

I thought the exact same thing. A lot of the time there didn't appear to be any real security either, just ticket checking staff!

On 7/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, Pipine said:

i think there's a big assumption in a lot of cases that people who get in illegally are more likely to be tent thieves.. 

Yeh, who knows. Could make an argument either way really!

On 7/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, jimbarkanoodle said:

Really? Because personally, i don't see much difference between the awful presumption many arseholes have that all illegal immigrants into this country are only here for no good, to scrounge and claim benefits etc. Both are stupid things to automatically assume.

I would estimate that, just the same as ticket holders, 99.9% of people sneaking in are doing so in order to have a good time, just like everyone else. Why would you go to all that bother just to piss people off, draw attention to yourself and maybe get chucked out? Me and my mates break in every year, and have not as much as accidently stepped on someone's foot, let alone go around robbing tents.

Is it actually against the law to break into the festival? can you be arrested for trespassing when you have no ticket?

23 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Ooh, I do love a bit of misdirected classism in the morning... 

The point remains that if people are able to sneak (for nefarious reasons or not) in then no-one, whether 'clueless and posh' or otherwise will be able to buy tickets next time because the festival won't get a licence and there won't be a festival. 

I’ve been hearing that line since 1986. The only time it has looked remotely likely was when more people bunked in than paid, which most certainly isn’t the case nowadays. I reckon Michael would be more relaxed about numbers this year than he was in 2000. 

• Upvote 1

I believe trespass is a civil matter. For breaking into Glastonbury, you aren't going to nicked, unless you are also searched and have a load of gear on you. You'll just get driven away for miles and dumped somewhere, or worse still, get a bit of a kicking from security and then dumped somewhere.

1 minute ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I believe trespass is a civil matter. For breaking into Glastonbury, you aren't going to nicked, unless you are also searched and have a load of gear on you. You'll just get driven away for miles and dumped somewhere, or worse still, get a bit of a kicking from security and then dumped somewhere.

It is a civil matter.

The days of being driven off for a remote dumping / kicking are (or at least should be) long gone.

There’s an eviction tent.

Anyone out of order inside the fence is meant to be taken there. Head of security hears the case and is the final arbiter. Those on the eject line fall into duty of care. The license process is that they are taken to nearest usable transport.

22 minutes ago, musky said:

I’ve been hearing that line since 1986. The only time it has looked remotely likely was when more people bunked in than paid, which most certainly isn’t the case nowadays. I reckon Michael would be more relaxed about numbers this year than he was in 2000. 

yep this

I have a feeling as long as measures are in place to address the issue of people trying to get in then the council are hardly going to stop the festival that brings plenty of money into the area.

Obviously if it all sounds too easy then thousands try and the licence is in doubt

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the festival we know and love is the festival run by Michael, who had to decide on no-festival or complying with the licence. ;) 

What's "a happy medium" (other than a get-out)? The licenced number is set as it is for safety reasons, and if it could be one higher it would be one higher already.

Yep - and they use all those tickets. If Michael really did want to turn a blind eye and have a some people get in illegally, he'd sell 5-10k fewer tickets than the license allows for, thus ensuring that those people didn't cause a problem.

19 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

On the other hand, someone from this forum got in on my friends ticket, seemingly without any bother. 

Yeah another one of our mates sold their ticket and they got in.... and the person was clearly about 30 years younger. Think it really is down to who you get on the gate.