Pangea.... Thoughts

shuttlep

I know they said it is a   five year project, but every time i went and saw it all I could think was.....

it's just a crane, a big crane, but alas still a crane.

I couldn't get past that and get excited about seeing it , I work in city center Manchester and see big cranes every day. If it doesn't turn in to a massive mother fucking dragon fly type thing by next year it will still be a big Crane to me  

Needs a more impressive light show around it so you don't need to wait a couple of mins to get any decent moving light coverage.

I think what fucked it was the moon, but even then they needed people to walk underneath it when it was up.

I agree in part. I liked the scale of the thing and the installation of the lights along the crane's jib but other than that it really did seem fairly sparse. It was unfortunate that the moon installation couldn't be used on most of the nights but surely this is something which could have been foreseen because apparently it was too windy?

That being said, it is a huge canvas to work with moving forward. In terms of a "show" I would love to see abseilers rappelling down from the control tower etc in future years. Also more fire.    

I saved it for the sunday night all-nighter and was there for the Andy C set (perfect for a fair weather dnb fan like me) and i F'n loved it! 

I'm an engineering nerd, and massive, moving metallic objects really do it for me. The sound was an improvement over the spider.

I think if they can utilize the hook properly and bring the fire closer to the crane that would be a good start. 

I was so impressed with the projection on the globe but that just the advancement of technology over the spider. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricci's Special Kebabs said:

I preferred it to the spider, probably in the minority saying that but I definitely had a better time in there. 

Other than when it was ridiculously busy on Friday night, I found it to be more "pleasant" than the spider.  I would have spent more time there but the stars didn't align.

The spider was more interesting to look at, but Pangea had better sound (and what seemed to be a larger optimal soundscape). What little time I did spend there, during Sub Focus on Sunday night, was great, and I look forward to enjoying it more next year.

I thought it was a disappointing downgrade until I heard its a platform to be built on for the next 5 years... reminded me of the first couple of years of Arcadia really, but nothing on the level of the spider. 

It's a promising start and it's still pretty impressive when it's firing, but I'm intrigued to see where it leads!

I thought it looked good lit up at night, and the sound was excellent, and there was plenty of space to dance.

They just need everyone’s ideas to develop it over the years.

1 hour ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

I preferred the spider also.  It just felt more menacing and that you were entering into its lair as you approached it, and I’m sure the flames were bigger back then.

As you say though, a work in progress, and who knows what next year will bring 

Spider flames were way bigger- we camp close but still fairly far away and you used to feel the heat off the spider flames but nothing from the crane

I couldn't but feel sorry for the poor bastard driving the crane backwards and forwards through the same 90 degree angle over and over again for hours haha 

I liked the area more, used to hate how dark it was at the spider and how easy it was to lose people. 

3 hours ago, bennyboi said:

I saved it for the sunday night all-nighter and was there for the Andy C set (perfect for a fair weather dnb fan like me) and i F'n loved it! 

I'm an engineering nerd, and massive, moving metallic objects really do it for me. The sound was an improvement over the spider.

I think if they can utilize the hook properly and bring the fire closer to the crane that would be a good start. 

I was so impressed with the projection on the globe but that just the advancement of technology over the spider. 

Our group skipped the headliners Sunday and got there for Sub Focus all the way through to Andy C. We were right under it the whole time, plenty of room; it sounded amazing, absolutely loved it.

I loved it! Ay first I was a bit like everyone else thinking it's just a big crane. But lit up at night it was impressive and I found it a lot less menacing and dark than the spider was - I used to find it a bit bleak before, but found the area more cheerful than in previous years. 

Also thought the sound was great and lineup was bloody brill too. Spent loads of time there this year.

2 hours ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Our group skipped the headliners Sunday and got there for Sub Focus all the way through to Andy C. We were right under it the whole time, plenty of room; it sounded amazing, absolutely loved it.

Tbh i didnt know where I was so I walked towards the massive glowing thing. Worked out a treat.