Is it worth it when you feel depressed for several weeks after?

Anarion

5 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I've been talking about looking for another job for a while. Think I need to get the ball rolling there. Glastonbury was the one thing getting me through the month or so leading up to the festival and now that it's over I think I'm going to struggle badly. 

yup me too.

I didn't hit it anywhere near as hard as usual this year but Monday and Tuesday I was having dizzy spells, nausea, and felt generally absolute shite, along with a constant feeling of wanting to burst into tears at it being over.

It's made me swear off drugs completely. I've said it a few times before, but I clearly just can't handle it any more, even in very modest amounts, especially combined with the general depression of Glasto being over.

My real problem is that I start getting depressed on the Sunday. I know loads of people go huge on the last day/night, but because I know it's the last day I just have a black cloud hanging over me, and get super quiet and tearful! Had a right bawl during the Cure and a bit of a tiff with my other half because he thought I was being annoyed because of something HE'D done, not realising it was general Glaso-ending despair taking over.

I definitely plough a lot of my emotion and anticipation into Glasto each year and have a slightly unhealthy obsession  with the place.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Skoo said:

My real problem is that I start getting depressed on the Sunday. I know loads of people go huge on the last day/night, but because I know it's the last day I just have a black cloud hanging over me, and get super quiet and tearful! Had a right bawl during the Cure and a bit of a tiff with my other half because he thought I was being annoyed because of something HE'D done, not realising it was general Glaso-ending despair taking over.

I definitely plough a lot of my emotion and anticipation into Glasto each year and have a slightly unhealthy obsession  with the place.

Absolutely feel this. I had a fantastic Sunday this year, but could feel the sadness edging in all day. It's why I will always prefer Wednesday and Thursday to the Sunday there.

I too put so much emotion and anticipation on those five days. I thought I'd got better after skipping a year in 2016, but I feel sadder than ever this time. Gah. 

After my last full festival in 2016 when I hit it way too hard and felt awful Saturday and Sunday and for a whole week after, i vowed never to do it like that again as it put a massive downer on the whole festival for me.

Managed to pace myself much better this year, had 2 big nights, but listened to my body much more. After the effects ran out and I started feeling knackered I just admitted defeat and went to bed, rather than forcing more drugs into me.

Feel loads better as a result, don’t get me wrong, still feel the Glastonbury blues, but to know where near the level I did in 2016. I was having night terrors, feeling sick all the time, levels of depression that I’ve never felt before, seemed like it was never going to end!

As I’m getting older, it definitely seems to be a case of less is more!

5 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

After my last full festival in 2016 when I hit it way too hard and felt awful Saturday and Sunday and for a whole week after, i vowed never to do it like that again as it put a massive downer on the whole festival for me.

Managed to pace myself much better this year, had 2 big nights, but listened to my body much more. After the effects ran out and I started feeling knackered I just admitted defeat and went to bed, rather than forcing more drugs into me.

Feel loads better as a result, don’t get me wrong, still feel the Glastonbury blues, but to know where near the level I did in 2016. I was having night terrors, feeling sick all the time, levels of depression that I’ve never felt before, seemed like it was never going to end!

As I’m getting older, it definitely seems to be a case of less is more!

The night terrors are the worst. On the Sunday this year, I barely drank any alcohol and zero drugs. Had an earlyish night after the cure and had the most horrific terrifying lucid dreams - was aware I was in a dream but had no control over what was happening. Dreamy I was at the festival being chased and harrassed by horrible men, who were poking me and I could actually FEEL IT. Was shouting at myself to wake up in my head.

Had the same again to a lesser extent on Monday night, very lucid dreams, but horrifying in their content.

13 minutes ago, Skoo said:

The night terrors are the worst. On the Sunday this year, I barely drank any alcohol and zero drugs. Had an earlyish night after the cure and had the most horrific terrifying lucid dreams - was aware I was in a dream but had no control over what was happening. Dreamy I was at the festival being chased and harrassed by horrible men, who were poking me and I could actually FEEL IT. Was shouting at myself to wake up in my head.

Had the same again to a lesser extent on Monday night, very lucid dreams, but horrifying in their content.

Bless you, sounds absolutely horrible! You starting to feel anymore human yet?

This year ended up going bigger on the Sunday night as my thinking was if I feel awful Monday then all I have to do is pack up, get home and sleep. Fed up of doing a load of research on bands for the Saturday and Sunday and then feeling so awful on those days that I either completely missed them or didn’t enjoy them.

Worst thing on Sunday morning is dragging myself out of the tent and seeing the number of pitches that have already been emptied and cleared out.  I get people packing up and dropping their stuff in lockups well in advance, but it just puts a downer on Sundays as soon as I get up :(

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Worst thing on Sunday morning is dragging myself out of the tent and seeing the number of pitches that have already been emptied and cleared out.  I get people packing up and dropping their stuff in lockups well in advance, but it just puts a downer on Sundays as soon as I get up :(

This 100%. I have to try really hard to block it out when I see people carrying their stuff early on Sunday!

+1 for the night terrors but it only kicked Yesterday night.

I had a day off Yesterday and I spent my day in a park to remind me the feeling of laying on the grass and drinking in my glasto bottle. It was a nice transition and today back at the office and I feel like shit

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Very much this!  Also when you see people walking across site with their kit at varying points on Sunday. 

54 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I didn't hit it anywhere near as hard as usual this year but Monday and Tuesday I was having dizzy spells, nausea, and felt generally absolute shite, along with a constant feeling of wanting to burst into tears at it being over.

It's made me swear off drugs completely. I've said it a few times before, but I clearly just can't handle it any more, even in very modest amounts, especially combined with the general depression of Glasto being over.

^^^ This is me exactly to a tee!!!  ^^^

Tuesday - exciting travel, arrival, hope
Wednesday - joy getting in, party time
Thursday - More joy, discussing the night before and whats to come
Friday - start of the music and all night partying around the site. Only 2 days to go after this?
Saturday - Uh-oh great bands but...tomorrow's the last day! Dread, fear creeping in!!
Sunday - wake up horrified!! Last day! Start to feel real sad and tearful (real tears at Kylie!) and hope the day never ends!!!
Monday - OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, all worth it. 

It dawned on me on sat on the hill at like 6:30 on the Monday Morning that you never really know when your last time here will be as nothing is ever promised (luckily, i've been succesful the last 5 times) but I've got a bad feeling about next year! I feel like this year's Glasto has got so much good coverage this year that a lot of people are going to be wanting their hands on tickets come this October!

9 hours ago, Anarion said:

Damn people sticking their fingers in my mouth and rubbing my gums fucks me up every year ?

There was a group we bumped into and did the same, but with the extension of it being on a rubber tentacle. Purely for the novelty of coming back and explaining it in a sentence to friends, makes it really difficult to say no!

Four hours after getting back my elderly Mother had a fall and broke he wrist. Spent the rest of Monday in Bath RUH until early AM then have spent the rest of my time arranging care visits for her so I can go back home. Havent had time to come down yet...!

2 hours ago, Gilb said:

^^^ This is me exactly to a tee!!!  ^^^

Tuesday - exciting travel, arrival, hope
Wednesday - joy getting in, party time
Thursday - More joy, discussing the night before and whats to come
Friday - start of the music and all night partying around the site. Only 2 days to go after this?
Saturday - Uh-oh great bands but...tomorrow's the last day! Dread, fear creeping in!!
Sunday - wake up horrified!! Last day! Start to feel real sad and tearful (real tears at Kylie!) and hope the day never ends!!!
Monday - OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep this is pretty much me. For the first time I started to worry about it nearly being over on the Saturday as opposed to the Sunday, thinking in my head it’s already been 3.5 days gone and only 1.5 to go.

Yesterday I felt awful, but today physically I’m entirely back to normal and have never felt this good by the Wednesday, it’s almost like I never went.

The sad thing about that though is I can’t help but think (well I know based on how I’ve felt before) I left quite a bit on the tank if I’m feeling so good already... but then I had a good time and I don’t feel terrible. Don’t think you can win either way really. 

3 hours ago, Skoo said:

I'm exactly the same. I barely endulged in any badness compared to previous years and was WAY fresher come the Sunday and Monday as a result. Feel just as depressed now as I remember feeling in previous years in the week after though. Might be work and stuff though to be fair. 

The last few weeks have been life changing and very emotional for me for reasons I won't go into her; Glastonbury fest has been cathartic.  But reality is kicking in now. I work freelance so I had always planned to take the summer off,  so now I have the time to work out what is important in my life 

Feeling a bit emotional now watching Stormzy on iPlayer now, going to take me a while to come down. 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Sorry Quarky, I did this. First time ever, though, and only because there was such an amount of stuff I wanted to see during the day that I didn't want to leave it any later. We stayed in a travel lodge Sunday night and left the site about 11pm as I was doing the drive back to Newcastle and needed a proper bed before doing so. 

I've been incredibly sad today. I can't work out if it's because it's my birthday tomorrow and they seem to depress me now or its just a massive comedown from the festival (not a chemical comedown as I was quite well behaved). Have felt flat and glum all day. Perhaps fitting that we are going to watch the Cure set on iPlayer tonight after dinner. 

My missus is the best, she's got me a box of cider to try and cheer me up. Total babe. 

I hereby offer a virtual hi five to anyone feeling shitty post-festival. We will be there again. Gets better every time :)

• Upvote 1

I have come home totally invigorated. I was really depressed going into the festival after a life changing event knocked me sideways. It had made me seriously depressed, I had been feeling sorry for myself and had piled on the weight.

Now I have the bit between my teeth and I am going to sort my issues out. Will lose the weight and get me in tip top shape.

The festival came at exactly the right time for me. Now its time to get to work.

Edited by eastynh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Definitely starting to feel down as tomorrow approaches and I'm back to work. This was my first Glastonbury and it was just great to forget about the real world for a few days. I've had a couple of days rest, watching back some of the highlights, some great memories and some sadness as I fell out with a friend who just wasn't enjoying it which was a real shame. Just need some things to look forward to  now, seeing some friends at Pride in London this weekend which should be fun.

I was home back in the hospital with ill step-son first thing Monday, back at work Tuesday including an interview for an internal promotion (which it doesn't look like I have got) received some mixed 360 feedback at work etc. etc. Reality has hit harder than ever before after Glasto this year and I only had beer. 

Reading what everyone has said on here has been really quite helpful and cathartic, thank you wonderful people of efests as always

• Like 1