Auto-refresh software

lukethekid

Anyone ever used them on ticket day? 

Could be so much easier than repeatedly smashing the shit out of f5 for an hour and a half.

Also when it comes to refreshing I know more than 60 refreshes in a minute is a no go, but how do you see that you haven’t reached the booking page if f5 is being constantly pressed and the page not having a chance to load? 

SeeTickets inferred they could detect "Auto refresh software" and could block people using it - not 100% sure how they can as we use it at work to "load test" our website and it looks like normal traffic on our analysis software.

We did prove that refreshing too quickly would drop you into a "page refresh black hole" but if you slowed down it would return to normal.

And it would only be for about 30 minutes as 2019 tickets sold out in just over half an hour.

Edited by Penrhos

On 7/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, GoonerRob said:

Yup, I use it every year and am 5/5 since 2014. Keep your requests per session to under 60 a min (i usually set each one to 2 seconds) and you should be good.

Which one do you use? I downloaded an app on my phone but it’s an auto refresh browser rather than an add on to Safari or Chrome and then I was just gonna smash the shit out of F5 (cmd + R actually as it’s a MacBook) on my laptop. Thought about it though and don’t know how smart it is inputting card details in to some unknown browser. 

20 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

How do you stop it from refreshing once you are through to the details page? 

18 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah that's my question, what stops it from refreshing past the page?

The one that I have downloaded has a pause button on the bottom of the page so as soon as you see the booking page make sure you’re quick enough to press pause so it doesn’t refresh again. 

On 7/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, lukethekid said:

Which one do you use? I downloaded an app on my phone but it’s an auto refresh browser rather than an add on to Safari or Chrome and then I was just gonna smash the shit out of F5 (cmd + R actually as it’s a MacBook) on my laptop. Thought about it though and don’t know how smart it is inputting card details in to some unknown browser. 

I use auto refresh in chrome... wouldnt bother with mobile apps as its a pain in the arse to copy and paste on a touch device.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:04 PM, GoonerRob said:

You dont need to, it carries on refreshing till you stop but you dont loose your screen 

I've been wondering this.....theoretically you should retain the session even if you F5 as it's yours for 10 minutes.  Pretty sure I proved that in the 2016 sale when my laptop blue screened at the payment stage...I rebooted and found I still had the session and completed the payment (although I needed new underpants afterwards...).

12 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I've been wondering this.....theoretically you should retain the session even if you F5 as it's yours for 10 minutes.  Pretty sure I proved that in the 2016 sale when my laptop blue screened at the payment stage...I rebooted and found I still had the session and completed the payment (although I needed new underpants afterwards...).

Understandable, if I'd been in that situation my underwear would have been irreparably soiled- that's why I think it's best to be alone on ticket day

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Understandable, if I'd been in that situation my underwear would have been irreparably soiled- that's why I think it's best to be alone on ticket day

It's not just the soiling that's the problem. I'd say that the structural integrity of your pants would be permanently lost by taking a sudden load like that. 

The real problem with auto-refresh is ensuring it only fires after the page has loaded.  Your interval needs to be long enough to allow the page to load, but short enough to maximise your chances. 

Assuming the tools only work in whole seconds you're prob needing to go 2 or perhaps even 3 seconds? 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, parsonjack said:

The real problem with auto-refresh is ensuring it only fires after the page has loaded.  Your interval needs to be long enough to allow the page to load, but short enough to maximise your chances. 

Assuming the tools only work in whole seconds you're prob needing to go 2 or perhaps even 3 seconds? 

Yup, I go for 2 seconds. Works well.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:40 PM, parsonjack said:

19 hours ago, gizmoman said:

I've been wondering this.....theoretically you should retain the session even if you F5 as it's yours for 10 minutes.  Pretty sure I proved that in the 2016 sale when my laptop blue screened at the payment stage...I rebooted and found I still had the session and completed the payment (although I needed new underpants afterwards...).

Interesting. Thank you.

41 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Interesting. Thank you.

Memory is a bit hazy but I think I got straight back in and had to re-enter all the reg numbers etc again but I def got a session with first hit...and got all the way through within the 10 minute window.  Chance that I got lucky and picked up a fresh session the instant I got back online is there....but its highly unlikely. 

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Memory is a bit hazy but I think I got straight back in and had to re-enter all the reg numbers etc again but I def got a session with first hit...and got all the way through within the 10 minute window.  Chance that I got lucky and picked up a fresh session the instant I got back online is there....but its highly unlikely. 

I don't pretend to understand exactly how the seetickets system works but I don't believe you are granted a "session" when you get the booking page, there are certainly session cookies placed on your system but I don't think they are used to prioritize you or guide you through the booking process, you can fail to get the next page even though you completed the reg. details. (same between the confirmation screen and payment screen). There is a 10 min timer once you get to the payment screen and it may be that you are then given priority within the system as you usually get the booking once you get to that stage. There is list of the cookies they use here, https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/cookies-info

maybe someone with more knowledge than me can work out how they are used.

16 hours ago, gizmoman said:

I don't pretend to understand exactly how the seetickets system works but I don't believe you are granted a "session" when you get the booking page, there are certainly session cookies placed on your system but I don't think they are used to prioritize you or guide you through the booking process, you can fail to get the next page even though you completed the reg. details. (same between the confirmation screen and payment screen). There is a 10 min timer once you get to the payment screen and it may be that you are then given priority within the system as you usually get the booking once you get to that stage. There is list of the cookies they use here, https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/cookies-info

Interesting....note that my experience was for the 2017 main sale and at that time there was no visible timer anywhere through the process.  Reading reports from last years sale (I never got anywhere near the booking page...) looks like the timer on the payment page was new for the 2019 sale so it's possible the whole process has changed as you say, and nothing is 'guaranteed' until you reach the payment stage.  

For interest my laptop blue-screened as the CMOS battery was dead and the clock time needed to be reset whenever Windows loaded.  I forgot to do it on ticket day, so when I got to payment stage it couldn't cope with my laptop date and time being 20 years or so out of date...hence the blue screen.  Scary moments. 

14 hours ago, kalifire said:

These things are redundant now, aren’t they? Since See block access for more than 60 refreshes a minute, and under that number is quite possible to do manually, I don’t get the point in them. 

Nor me....although I have been considering a couple of laptops running autorefresh while using my main device manually.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:28 PM, gizmoman said:

In the resale, 2 of our group definitely did not get a session when entering all the reg details and postcodes. Got bombed out going to the next page with an error 'no such event' and this was a good while before the resale sold out. Absolutely heartbreaking at the time. Would have been nice to have been locked in to a 10 min session at that juncture.  Roll on Oct !